Doctor Who: Watch the First Full-length Trailer for This Year's Christmas Special (VIDEO)

By Kaitlin Thomas

Dec 11, 2013

It's been a few weeks since our brains simultaneously exploded when we celebrated Doctor Who's 50th Anniversary Special as an entire planet. How are you feeling? Good? Have you recovered from the experience? Well that's fantastic, because today I have a gift for you in the form of the new, full-length trailer for this year's Doctor Who Christmas special, "The Time of the Doctor."

This won't be just any Christmas special, though, because it'll mark the final episode for Matt Smith's Doctor (call him Eleven, call him Thirteen, I don't really care). Just thinking about it is making me teary-eyed, so go ahead and press play and then leave your own thoughts about Smith and his successor Peter Capaldi in the comments. Bonus points if you can make it rhyme like Clara.

Also! BBC America has released a bunch of new photos from the special, so I've collected them all in a gallery for your viewing pleasure:

What do you think? How do you feel? Are you excited? Sad? Is it too soon to say? The special airs Christmas Day at 9pm on BBC America.

• Comments (46)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • nitehork Dec 12, 2013

I just hope it won't be as much of a let-down as the fiftieth was. It was all flashy scenes and one-liners, payoff not worth the build up.

• MightyMad Dec 12, 2013

So... we're calling full-length trailer what's really a 30-second commercial?

Alright then.

Not really impressed - the Sherlock one was way better (then again, it was longer.)

Anyway, like everything Moffat offering in the past four years, I cannot wait to go all "OMG, was it epic!" on first viewing, to eventually go "Wait a second... THIS MAKES NO DAMN SENSE" just a couple of days later.

Pretty much the pattern I followed ever since Davies left. I'm used to it now.

• Gislef Dec 12, 2013

Why would we call him Thirteen? We might call him Twelve, but Thirteen...?

• LOST-TWD-PP-GOT Dec 14, 2013

He is counting Tennant twice. Tennant had 2 regenerations. The first into himself, the second into Smith. Add in John Hurt, and that makes 12 regenerations, since the first Doctor.

• RobertRath Dec 16, 2013

It wasn't Tennant that got a second regeneration. He stopped the regeneration the first time. No, it's the 8th Doctor that got 2. First , it was Paul McGann into The War Doctor John Hurt, then John Hurt into Christopher Eccleston. Technically, Eccleston is the 10th Doctor.

• LOST-TWD-PP-GOT Dec 16, 2013

I already counted Paul McGann into John Hurt.

SPOILERS

In the two part season 4 finale: The Stolen Earth/ Journey's End. the Doctor was shot by the Daleks, just as Rose finds him again. He started to regenerate, but channeled the energy into his hand, that had been cut off in Tennant's first episode. He used what regeneration energy he needed to heal his mortal wound, and got rid of the rest to keep from changing. He may not of changed, but he did regenerate.

• MightyMad Dec 12, 2013

Don't get it either.

• jessicakroeber Dec 11, 2013

I want to watch but I also don't want to watch. I like to let things unfold in real time rather than watch trailers. But boy oh boy is it tempting.

• eaudra1 Dec 11, 2013

I'm almost on the edge of my seat by now already, so what happens when it actually airs? Every single regeneration I've witnessed (all of Nu Who and a couple of the old ones) was a hard call to say good bye to one Doctor and welcome another, but I think this good bye is gonna be the hardest on me. Or it sure feels like it. And not because Matt Smith is MY Doctor. Yes, Smith's great but the One for me was Christopher. I've no doubt Peter is going to do a great job in this role (and after some trouble to actually watch some of his other works I'm confident in his acting abilities and all), but the trouble with this change IMO is that I simply do not want him to be playing the Doctor; or am I just unable to bid farewell to Smith's 'Geronimo' kind of Doctor and his whole Pond-River epics?

• EsmeBuffay Dec 11, 2013

The only thing that would make me happier is if they replaced Clara with a more interesting companion, maybe two again, I like it best when there's two companions. It will be a sad day to be sure to see Smith go, but I'm excited to see Capaldi's Doctor.

• dodge_hickey Dec 11, 2013

I am dreading this Christmas episode. Smith is my first (and favorite Doctor. Eccelston did a great job reviving the series and Tennant was fantastic). I look forward to seeing Capaldi (he's a great actor) but Smith for me will always be "The Doctor"

• SlidUK Dec 11, 2013

Welcome to the club.

Every one has their own Doctor (or at least should.) I have the great honour of being around long enough to have Tom Baker as my Doctor. (I actually did cry at the end of the 50th, that was such a special moment for me.)
    Your Doctor is forever (being Smith or any of them), Your Doctor. Never let anyone convince you otherwise. It's part of what makes this strange little show so awesome after such a long time.
    Matt has been a great Doctor, but so have they all. And like all his processors (and futures) will always hold a very special place in the in the hearts of all true Whovians when they discover the truly epic show.

I know I will miss Matt, but I'm also really looking forward to what comes next.

• dodge_hickey Dec 11, 2013

I've yet to see a good protion of the classic series, I hear amazing things about Tom Baker (one of my mates cried when he appeared in the 50th).

Smith brings a certian charm and makes it work so well, I perfer him over 9 and 10 (or 10 and 11) because he's not as intense and more playful in his portrayal.

• rcleary2005 Dec 12, 2013

I think Matt was great, as was Tennant and Eccelston; Eccelston for the tough and ready, Tennant for the just under the surface "smart ass", Matt for the "well, if we can't do it one way, we'll find another way"..
    I have watched from the beginning (in 1965, at least my mother watched with me in the room since I was 5 years old at the time, but I have since gone back and watched all episodes), and "MY" Doctor is Baker as well (smart, witty, as Matt would say "scarves are cool").

• sleepy-sonic Dec 11, 2013

So the Christmas special will be about the battle of Trenzalore when presumably The Doctor dies?

• JT_Kirk Dec 11, 2013

That was a thing.

Why does it have to be a trailer of action, action, action? I like wonderment for my DW Christmas specials. Here we have yet more Daleks and Cybermen and whatnot setting traps for the Doctor, and explosions that would make Michael Bay aroused.

• JosephCecil Dec 11, 2013

I'm kinda hoping Matt goes down in battle and rises as Capaldi. I'm a little bored with every current generation Doctor regenerating at the controls inside the TARDIS. He doesn't always HAVE to, does he?

• rcleary2005 Dec 12, 2013

Tom Baker regenerated outside the TARDIS under a dish tower..

• See More Comments (5)