Doctor Who's Fierce New Season 8 Promos Promise a Darker Doctor (PHOTOS)

By Kaitlin Thomas

Aug 19, 2014

After eight months of wishing we had our own TARDIS so we could skip all the waiting between Matt Smith's exit and Peter Capaldi's entrance, the highly anticipated eighth season of Doctor Who FINALLY premieres this Saturday, August 23 on BBC America. To celebrate the occasion, BBC America has released a handful of new photos from the feature-length Season 8 premiere, titled "Deep Breath." 

In case you've missed the trailers, "Deep Breath" finds the Doctor in Victorian London, where there's a dinosaur (yes, a dinosaur) running rampant in the Thames (hey, at least it's not a spaceship again). And as if that's not enough to worry about, the Doctor must also figure out what's causing the deadly spontaneous combustions occurring throughout the city while also adjusting to a new body yet again. Joining the Doctor and Clara for the ride are Strax, Madame Vastra, and Jenny—as you'll see in the photo gallery below. So grab your nearest Whovian pal, check out the new episode stills, and get excited for a darker, older, but probably-not-any-wiser Doctor!

Doctor Who Season 8 premieres Saturday, August 23 at 8pm on BBC America.

• Comments (18)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • JT_Kirk Aug 19, 2014

So 21st-century Clara is going to be running around the universe dressing up like her former selves? Although I'm not a fan of Madame Vastra (they write her very shallowly with a lot of cheap shortcuts), the idea of various people in time and space recognizing Clara for her other selves is an idea that could be fun.

• kanniballl Aug 19, 2014

Have we heard anything? I asked a similar question below.

Part of me wonders if we'll just keep running into the insane number of Clara-copies from her journey into the temporal scar. In which case maybe we'll get kind of a Dollhouse / OrphanBlack thing going on and meeting one every episode.

Personally I like the Victorian Clara and futuristic Oswin the most. 21st century Clara was too normal / boring. But I guess that helps serves as a surrogate viewer.

• JT_Kirk Aug 20, 2014

Based on the way Moffat & Co had written the last few years, I think once Clara exited the Doctor's timeline there's no way to "go back" and see those copies anymore as they don't exist in the timestream anymore, they are part of the Doctor's past, and there's no way to go back to that past. Or maybe Moffat's changed his mind, but I doubt that.

• kanniballl Aug 20, 2014

Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorite shows and I love it.... but I doubt the writers even know at this point.

We got the data dump MULTIPLE times that The Doctor threw Gallifrey into a Time Lock. We even saw a Time Lock in action during one of those specific episodes: when they activated a Lock in Torchwood to keep the Daleks out.

And yet with the Time of the Doctor they were shocked that Gallifrey was still alive in a Time Lock somewhere.

• kanniballl Aug 20, 2014

This comment has been removed.

• charlesmyersc Aug 19, 2014

Keep Calm & EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

• Sanity_Bleeds Aug 19, 2014

Dr Who needs to get a little darker. Campy and whimsical good fun is all nice and well, but it needs balance and variation. A little dark to balance the light.

• kanniballl Aug 19, 2014

So do those pics mean we're getting one the "interesting" Clara's back?

Or is the most boring Clara of the bunch just wearing period clothing?

Not to knock her or the actress, but of the 3 incarnations we spent more than a few seconds with, 21st century Clara is probably the most boring.

Victorian Clara was really really clever, able to go toe-to-toe with The Doctor. And future Dalek Oswin was also really really intelligent and slightly more cheeky.

• yunie35 Aug 19, 2014

I wished and wished they'd turn darker, and they are giving it a go! yes! I love the crazy whimsical side of many of the doctor's adventures, but when the show gets serious, you're left eyes wide opened and squeezing the arm of your chair for the ride! So yes to taking itself a bit more seriously, and I hope they tighten their narrative too because some episodes were just bad the past 2 seasons.

• Sanity_Bleeds Aug 19, 2014

Series 6, Episode 7. Rory: "Would you like me to repeat the question?"

• JohnMangan Aug 19, 2014

Let's just say, on the basis of the first three episodes, Capaldi is going to be one of the great Doctors. The first episode is a bit wooly with so much of the usual stuff of the Doctor going mad until he gets his personality fixed in place but there are moments of dark chilling steampunk horror in there. The second episode is a lot better and it is where Capaldi really nails the new Doctor forever, a wonderful mix of grumpy Hartnell and Pertwee action hero. The third episode, written by the ever-excellent Mark Gatiss, is a clever Robin Hood romp which brings out Capaldi's brilliant comic timing (you'll know if you've seen THE THICK OF IT) and manages to humanise the grumpy Doc. Three episodes and Capaldi is up to speed and making his own rules. It's going to be an AMAZING ride.

• ArkhamNative Aug 19, 2014

I'm very much looking forward to the 80 minutes of new adventure. Can't wait to see what happens when they mix "darker, fiercer" Doctor with the CBBC-esque Paternoster gang. And a dinosaur in London, again, at long last.

• Mcarson09 Aug 19, 2014

It takes soo long for new doctor episodes to come out that I try not to get my hopes up. I am looking forward to more Clara.

• Marburg66 Aug 19, 2014

I squee in anticipation...but darkly so

• ekim726 Aug 19, 2014

Cannot wait to see this, this is definitely my second favorite TV show out there. Peter Capaldi should do a wonderful job and I look forward to seeing how this year turns out and how he interacts with companions. Going to rewatch the whole series this week before seeing it to get up to speed. I hear the episodes released on torrents but wasn't finished. I would have been tempted to watch it if I had it even though they say it's in B&W; and no effects. For some reason everytime I see the countdown clock for show premieres on this site I get the 24 second clock sound in my head lol.

• tnetennba Aug 19, 2014

I saw a couple of minutes of the first one, and I was not tempted to continue. The quality isn't great, and as you said, it was black and white, and with special effects that weren't finished. So I wouldn't recommend these episodes to anyone. (Until now I thought only one had been leaked, but JohnMangan above has apparently seen three, so I guess three were leaked).

I wonder why anyone would put an unfinished episode on a torrent site. It seems like a really stupid thing to do.

• ekim726 Aug 21, 2014

It seems to be like a collectible. I would like to get it after I see the episodes just to see it unfinished to see the process.

• Nopirate1 Aug 23, 2014

There are now FIVE "supposedly leaked" stories. I wonder if their "leaking" were more intentional THAN accidental (wink, WINK, nudge nudge). Just for the purpose of getting fan feedback. Whatever. That aside, as a LIFELONG fan of the show (Classic Series from the mid-1970s) I have NOT been impressed with what I've seen of series 8 writing OR the emphasis on "All Things Clara". Capaldi is such a fine actor THAT him playing second fiddle to JLC seems like a huge waste. There are just moments when I find myself saying "WTH?. That was just awful!" Timing is off, scenes which we were promised would be "more developed" are just DAMN SLOW and BORING. Epsidode 5 I found myself fast forwarding through. I've always defended Steven Moffat concerning the programme BUT if he isn't gone for next season, I fear there won't BE another season of DW!. Yea, it's honestly THAT bad!. So bad, it makes you wonder if Michael Grade has been resurrected and REINSTALLED as BBC Comptroller just to "kill Doctor Who" again!. I will sum it up this way. I always thought 13 episodes were too few. NOW after watching 4, I'm thinking of just waiting sometime after the season ends to either buy the DVD or DL the whole lot. What I've seen so far encourages me to get up off my ARSE and support live music instead of being glued to The Tube watching DW!.

• ekim726 Aug 24, 2014

Have you gone mad???