Doctor Who: See 43 New Photos from "The Day of the Doctor"

By Kaitlin Thomas

Nov 18, 2013

As of 9am Monday morning, BBC America is officially Doctor Who America and will remain that way for the rest of this week (I hope you cleared some space on your DVR this weekend!). But just in case that's not enough timey-wimey for you, BBC America has also released a large batch of new photos from "The Day of the Doctor," the 50th anniversary special that will be simulcast around the world on Saturday, November 23. 

Naturally, "The Day of the Doctor" will find of reality is at stake, and the new images depict the two Doctors (David Tennant and Matt Smith) and their respective companions (Billie Piper and Jenna Coleman), as well as the War Doctor (John Hurt). I've already fangirled over these photos in private and that felt a little greedy, and also really lonely, so I've decided to share them with you so we can !!!! and OMG together. 

P.S. In case you missed it last week, BBCA released a webisode that hints at what's to come in the special.

• Comments (21)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • JT_Kirk Nov 18, 2013

Thanks for sharing them. A little spoilery but not too bad, I think.

I almost feel like The War Doctor being added to the lore is a cheat, taking the weight of Eccleston's Doctor off of his hands, putting the blame onto some other guy. I hope they don't oversimplify the Doctor's role in the time war, his name is still attached to that act so it's not as if this "not in the name of the Doctor" thing is really accurate anyway.

• MarthaPreston Nov 18, 2013

I am pretty excited about all this week

• Haloprogram Nov 18, 2013

I haven't watched a single Doctor Who episode so I don't know what the fuss is about, can someone tell me if this anniversary special is going to be the premier for season 8?

I wouldnt watch the special until you have watched some of the episodes they are worth watching so give em a try

• Haloprogram Nov 18, 2013

wasn't planning too, this hype just sparked my curiosity about the show. Would never jump into a show without starting from the top. Since it's a reboot I'm referring to the rebooted top that is.

BBC America is showing every episode since the reboot start with "rose" and go from there

• kanniballl Nov 18, 2013

I'm not going to recommend it if you haven't watched it... it's a strange show and it's kind of love-it-or-hate-it. It's hard to make a comparison to another show to say "If you like X, you will like Dr Who" He jumps around from era-to-era and planet-to-planet and faces various adventures with his companions (audience surrogates).

The episodes themselves vary between family/child friendly humor... to some relatively dark stuff. Not TOO dark, but when contrasted with the comedy bits you sometimes ask w t h the writers are smoking.

It's mostly a fantasy with some sci-fi thrown in -- mostly from the "sufficiently advanced tech is indistinguishable from magic" quote. He'll explain someone away with techno-babble and/or say the human mind couldn't wrap their heads around it so makes a poor analogy.

• thekaitling Nov 18, 2013

No, it's not. It's a special.

Don't know if this has been discussed, but is Chris Eccleston on bad terms with the Who crew?

Firstly, if we're talking about meeting the incarnation from right-before Eccleston's Doctor... wouldn't it make sense for him to appear? But fine, that could be a writing choice of availability issue.

Secondly, and more broadly... I've been seeing tons of interviews (short and long) from various Who actors and their companions. But I haven't been seeing much from Eccleston. Did something happen to make the fans / studio not like him? Or vice-versa, something that left a bad taste in his mouth about his part?

• IndianaMom Nov 18, 2013

I've never heard any details, but I've heard hints that Eccleston and Russell T. Davies didn't see eye-to-eye on several things about the show. It's too bad, really.

Don't know if this has been discussed, but is Chris Eccleston on bad terms with the Who crew?

Firstly, if we're talking about meeting the incarnation from right-before Eccleston's Doctor... wouldn't it make sense for him to appear? But fine, that could be a writing choice of availability issue.

Secondly, and more broadly... I've been seeing tons of interviews (short and long) from various "Dcotors" and their companions about either the annivesary or the new Doctor. But I haven't been seeing much from Eccleston. Did something happen to make the fans / studio not like him? Or vice-versa, something that left a bad taste in his mouth about his part?

• Aquitar94 Nov 18, 2013

Will be watching this as soon as classes are over for the day! What final paper due in a week?

• crocaduck Nov 18, 2013

Rose looks kind of ragged, don't you think? Hobo Rose?

• ElisaDiaz Nov 18, 2013

I can't wait!

• saintmark Nov 18, 2013

Looks promesing it will however have to do a lot in order to be better than the excellent prequel with Paul McGann.

• Genesistt Nov 18, 2013

I can barely contain myself. I see the ad on TV and I can't help squealing! I can't waittttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!

• See More Comments (1)