News Briefs: Doctor Who's Karen Gillan Will Take a Selfie for ABC

By Tim Surette

Feb 19, 2014

A POND CROSSES THE POND

... Karen Gillan, known to Anglophiles as Amy Pond, companion to Doctor Who's Eleventh Doctor, is headed to the States to give American network television a shot. She'll play the lead in ABC's comedy pilot Selfie, from Suburgatory creator Emily Kapnek, about a woman who's more concerned with her social media status than she is with her social status. Do you "like" this, Whovians? Is this the role you want to see Gillan make her American splash in? [EW]

BUSINESS TIME

... Jimmy Fallon made his debut as the host of The Tonight Show last night (I wrote up a few thoughts about it), and drew 11.31 million viewers thanks to a lead-in from the 2014 Winter Olympics. That number is more than two million viewers greater than the audience that tuned in for Conan O'Brien's debut as Tonight Show host in 2009, but both were tied in the 18-49 demo with a 3.8 rating.

... Remember when Legos were just choking hazards? Well now they're a major franchise, and The Simpsons will be the next piece of pop culture to get bricked. The long-running cartoon's May 4 episode will be an all-Lego outing, with Homer stuck in a world where Springfield and all its characters are made out of Legos. [EW]

... RuPaul's Drag Race has been renewed for a seventh season, a week before Season 6 even debuts. [The Wrap]

... Amazon Prime is hosting a 13-hour Hannibal Season 1 marathon event and inviting subscribers to catch up on NBC's drama on Sunday, February 23 at noon Eastern. Amazon has arranged for Hannibal cast and crew members to live-tweet along with the binge, will give away prizes, and feature a question-and-answer session with series star Hugh Dancy. You're on your own for food, though, so you'd better invite a few tasty friends over. [Amazon via press release]

... Amazon has also secured the exclusive streaming rights to MTV's Teen Wolf, with the first three seasons available for Amazon Prime subscribers starting today. However, you'll still have to rent Michael J. Fox's Teen Wolf the old-fashioned way. [Amazon via press release]

... That low rumbling you hear is the sound of the apocalypse closing in. VH1 ordered Naked Dating to series, and it's exactly what you fear it will be. Each episode of the reality dating show follows a man and woman in search of love as they each go on a pair of dates in a tropical setting. And yep, everyone will be naked. [VH1 via press release]

... A&E has put a premiere date on Breaking Boston, the newest reality collaboration between the network and Mark Wahlberg. The docu-series about four working-class women in their 20s that was partly inspired by The Fighter will debut on Thursday, March 13 at 10pm. [A&E via press release]

... Snake Salvation preacher Jamie Coots died on Saturday after a snake bit him and he refused medical treatment. The NatGeo TV series follows Pentacostal snake handlers who believe God allows them to handle the venomous serpents without being bitten because the preachers will be protected by their faith. Snake Salvation was not picked up for a second season. [Variety]

CASTING NEWS

... Jacinda Barrett, the hot Australian from The Real World London and the wife from Zero Hour, has her next gig on Netflix's upcoming untitled family drama from the creators of Damages. She'll play the wife of Kyle Chandler's character in the series about adult siblings whose secrets are exposed when one of the brothers returns home. [Deadline Hollywood]

... CBS's NFL studio team has sacked a few contributors. Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino and Hall of Fame tight end Shannon Sharpe have been let go, with future Hall of Fame tight end Tony Gonzalez taking one of the resulting vacancies after retiring from the game after this season. [SI.com]

... Napoleon Dynamite's Jon Heder has been cast in the Fox comedy pilot Here's Your Damn Family. He'll play a 30-something man living with his mother (Malcolm in the Middle's Jane Kaczmarek) when her new husband and his three teenager kids move in. [Deadline Hollywood]

• Comments (70)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • butterbean503 Feb 22, 2014

Selfie isn't what I wanted to see Karen Gillan in next, mostly because she'll have an American accent. But, I'll take what I can get. I'm excited to see her face on a weekly basis again!

• mrjimmyjames Feb 20, 2014

It takes CBS this long to sack Shannon Sharpe? Wow. Maybe they were unaware he still worked for them and were surprised he was still on the payroll. Surprising to see Marino axed, but I guess it was time for some changes on that show.

• RoryJamesSaywer Feb 20, 2014

I had never heard of that snake show but wow... just wow

• Loooooooooooost Feb 20, 2014

Me neither! His last name is Coots!

• Mate Feb 19, 2014

I like Karen Gilan. But that show sounds horrible.

• Pato_esp Aug 20, 2014

I just watched the premiere of selfie on hulu and maaaan... She's so sexy and beautiful...

• JT_Kirk Feb 19, 2014

Karen Gillan is a charmer, she is, but I dunno if I want to see her in some girlie clunker like another Suburgatory - I know there's a lot of love for that show, but I don't see it and I've tried and tried. Gillan was not only excellent as Amy Pond, but on NTSF:SD:SUV:: she was a scream and her American accent was hilarious but also terrible so please don't make her do an American accent on this new show.

The Simpsons are also getting a LEGO Creator set with the house, the family, the car, and Flanders on his grill. Cross-promotion! BTW, as the press kit I got in '99 says, the plural of LEGO is LEGO bricks, "LEGO" should never be pluralized or treated as the generic name for the building bricks and should never be anything but capitalized. Damned LEGO Nazis - a set you'd never see, by the way. And LEGO aren't just choking hazards, they're stomping hazards.

I suspect Amazon Prime doesn't have enough viewers to make that Hannibal party a success, but I hope someone at TV.com covers it and it turns out better than expected.

Naked Dating sounds interesting as a concept, takes away the whole issue of fashion as a status and as a sexual weapon, takes away the question of genital size. That said, there's gonna be a lot of black bars or well-positioned fruit to film this, right? VH1 doesn't even say "poopy", much less show the human form.

Whoa whoa whoa, Jon Heder is starring in "Here's Your Damn Family"? Heder is a Mormon and doesn't swear, how's that going to work with a mild swear word in the title???

• JosephCecil Feb 19, 2014

Karen.....sigh. Even with an American accent, I'll check it out until it gets cancelled even if it's terrible. You can take away her beautiful Scottish brogue, but at least let her hair grow out.

• current Feb 19, 2014

I can't see Karen Gillan doing enough damage in American based comedy shows as a lead. She'd more likely, as most 'quirky' foreign characters do, be better positioned as the friend of lead. The 'oh so funny' mock ads she did a while back came off as more desperate than, that's hi'larious - as Larry Sanders might've said.

• JT_Kirk Feb 19, 2014

Watch the second season of NTSF:SD:SUV:: where she's a psychotic technician, she's quirky but she draws attention with even little things.

• Tjsmooth0 Feb 19, 2014

Yeah, I can't lie, if Karen Gillan is in something I'm going to watch it. I sincerely hope they don't try to make her an American and allow her to keep her Scottish accent, that's like 70 percent of her charm.

• JosephCecil Feb 19, 2014

Prepare to be sad:
    http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/doctor-who-favorite-lands-abcs-selfie-lead

• LiseLotteDive Feb 19, 2014

I want more episodes of Bosch.

• miasma Feb 19, 2014

Me too, also The After and The Rebels, when do we find out which, if any, are being 'made' ?

• Carla-Wexler Feb 19, 2014

A seventh season of Rupaul's drag race? Halleloo baby, halleloo! !It's the only reality show I watch. Bitches better beware, hunty!

• See More Comments (23)