The Shakespeare Code

Episode Reviews (36)

Great

The Shakespeare Code

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 29, 2012

The Shakespeare Code was a perfect and very entertaining episode of Doctor Who. I really enjoyed watching because it was fun to see Martha Jones on her first Time Travel Trip. There was some good humor and the writing was generally brilliant. I liked the idea of Shakespeare being manipulated by witches who are actually aliens. There were some great character moments, awesome special effects, and every thing played out perfectly well. It was great how Martha inspired Shakespeare. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!moreless

"What fools these mortals be."

By Carycomic, Mar 09, 2012

Puck said that to the audience, in "A Midsummer Night's Dream." And, evidently, that's how the Carrionites saw us. As fools who would help them re-emerge into this universe, and reconquer it. But, the Doctor is nobody's fool! A fact he proved once again, with the immeasurable help of Martha Jones. I must confess, I was initially stymied when he kept muttering about "fourteen" sounding so familiar. At first, i thought it was just the fact that it represents both one more than thirteen (an unlucky number) and the doubling of seven (the polar opposite). Then, I thought: "What if these witches represent scarred survivors of Logopolis?" That is; the mathematical race introduced during the last days of the 4th Doctor era. But, the writers fooled me! They have introduced another race from "the dark days of the early universe." The spider-like Racnoss being the first. Makes me wonder how many war-like races existed following the Big Bang. And, just what percentage of those were personally fought and vanquished by the Time Lords? Probably a lot more than two (i.e., the Racnoss and the Giant Vampires)! In any event, I enjoyed the quaint and creepy mystery of this episode. Immensely and shamelessly. It was like an Elizabethan version of a "Scooby Doo" cartoon! Only, without the talking Great Dane.moreless

This sucked

By garnsr, Jun 10, 2011

Any time the new shows have real historical figures they seem to suck more than the regular shows. I don't remember too many of the real Dr Who episodes having real characters, other than Doc Holiday in a First Doctor episode. But this one, and the Dickens episode, seemed even worse than the run-of-the-mill updated Dr Who.

With Martha's first trip, she and the Doctor meet the man himself, William Shakesphere just aliens known as the Carrionites try to bring their whole species out of the deep darkness they were banished to by planning to use William as their puppet.

By 10thdoctorfan, Apr 15, 2011

With this episode, we see a pattern appearing with the trips the doctor takes his companions on. only with martha and later donna, it's reversed; rose got to go to the future with both his ninth and current incanations, while martha got 1599 and Donna, Volcano Day in Pompeii. The writers seemed to have based the carrionites off the three witches from William's play, but are named Bloodtide, Doomfinger, and Lilith. To those pondering why Lilith can take true human apperance at times, while her 'mothers' can't, maybe she's only half carrionte; their speices devour thier male mates, so its a posiblity.

If anyone else didn;t notice this, but what's up with the 'witches' always speaking in rhyme? i know its how the sceince works along with the shape of the globe, but it gets annoying after awhile. According to the Doctor at the end of the episode when he gie Will his signature 'neckbrace' he's given him 10% of his material, while he seems to have royal ticked Liz 1 off in his personal future since she ordered his beheading after just seeing him. The Doctor one again says 'What? What!? WHAT!?"moreless

Good episode, but not my favorite.

By PaxPhoenix, Jan 30, 2008

This is Martha's first trip in the TARDIS. Martha and the Doctor go to London, in 1599. They visit the newly-opened Globe Theatre and see the Shakespeare's play "Love's Labour's Lost" and meet Shakespeare. He gets impressed with Martha.

Shakespeare is writing the play "Love's Labour's Won" (the lost play). Meanwhile, three Carrionites witches want to interfere on the final lines of the play by placing a code to open the portal for the Carrionites who want to destroy Earth.

By the end of the episode, Shakespeare reveals he knows the Doctor isn't from Earth and Martha is from the future.

It's visible the Doctor still misses Rose.moreless

By scifirantergirl, Sep 08, 2007

This season of Doctor Who feels like the first season all over again. That's a good thing. It has the adrenaline rush, adventure feel to it again. The second season was really moody and depressing. It was almost a chore to watch.

Shakespeare Code is one of those episodes that people will talk about for sometime. It was just so damned good. From the story, to the in-jokes, to the dialog, to the CGI and everything else... this has to be my favorite this season. That's hard to say especially since I loved everything that I've seen this season.

I think Martha Jones is going to be an excellent companion.moreless

The Doctor and Martha meet Shakespeare but are interupted by what seems to be... witchcraft.

By Rosabelle101, Jun 16, 2007

I think i prefer this method of learning about Shakespeare to what we did in High School. This was a lot more fun. Especially with him flirting with Martha. Who knew he was a flirt?

I loved the witches. The were completely like the old tales at that time. Scary, ugly, warty and casting spells. Who knew that magic was actually science in disguise? The special effects weren't so bad either, particually at the end.

One thing that i didn't understand, why did the Doctor let Martha roam around in jeans? With everyother companion in that era, he's had the dress to that style. He didn't this time though...

Anyway, the episode rocked!!! Good to see the Doctor back.moreless

The Doctor and Rose arrive in Elizabethan Britain, and meet the main man himself, William Shakespeare!

By xJeniflowerx, Apr 20, 2007

First off, i thought 'Oh great, Shakespeare', not the most exciting man in the world... right? WRONG! I absolutely adored this episode, from start to finish, especially when the man himself came on. Who knew shakespeare was so good looking? Lol. Favourite parts have to be whenever the Doctor was quoting his future plays, or someone elses. I sat there and just laughed (my mum had to point out which play they were from, but i managed to get a few). All over, it was all rather dramatic this episode ;)

Carriernites...one of RTD's slightly tamer villians, but i must admit, i still found them entralling. Using not only voodoo, but the power of the spoken word to cast fear into the hearts of man and release their pals from the dark realms. Especially liked the man drowning on dry land, lovely touch, hehe. Paniced slightly when the Doctor collapsed, was okay though when i realised he had two hearts XD Bit slow there. Anyway, also liked the end scene when shakespeare is defeating the carriernites, i chuckled so much, have to love that bit :D 'Expelliarmus!' (God love J.k. ^^ Heard multiple references throughout that episode. 'Read book seven, made me cry' awwww, bless the Doctor)moreless

A bit worrying

By fireexit112, Apr 17, 2007

Alternately amusing, exciting, and embarrasing. The effects are pretty impressive, and David Tennant and Freema are both great, although the Doctor's character is beginning to get a bit samey and predictable. And the humour, and the Doctor-Martha bed scene are very good. However, the witches are nothing short of embarrasing, and they are most unconvincing as dangerous villains. Christina Cole, who was brilliant in Hex does a good job with her poor dialogue.

But I can't help thinking this could've been a lot better.moreless

Load More Reviews