Dora the Explorer

Poor
4.9

Comparison

By DropofVioletDew, Yesterday

I remember being a little kid before Dora aired on TV was a memorable movie called Land Before Time. As a preschooler it grabbed my attention because of the art and story line of young dinosaurs working together as a family to reach the Great Valley. Their journey was not an easy one. Littlefoot had to learn how to be a leader and had to deal with the tragedy of losing his mother. Cera had pride issues and had to learn to cooperate with others despite her stubbornness. Littlefoot and Cera view points had clashed to the point when they fought each other over who knew the right way to the Great Valley. Their quest for a new home and plan to kill the Sharptooth was a challenge that they had overcome together.

In Dora the explorer her journey is simple. Go to three places marked on the map with little obstacles in the way and then arrive at the destination with repetitive catchy songs in-between. She doesn't experience great loss or conflicted very much with another person, nor had much challenges in the story that relatable for me. Dora the explorer relies firmly on the audience to move the story along instead of working more with her friends to solve the problem.

Kids' programing has the potential to be good like Avatar the Last Airbender and the first Land Before Time movie. Just because it's for kids that doesn't mean the storyline is to have a lower quality compared to adult shows. Disney, PIxar, Dreamworks, and especially Studio Ghibli understood that their story lines need to be engaging and fun to attract an audience not just kids. I'm not asking for scarier and darker Dora but to give more respect to the intelligence of people of all ages.

Could Dora's parents please take her to the eye doctor so she'll be given glasses to see better?

The positive of the show that's okay is she teaches a bit of Spanish and kind to animals.

That's all I'm going to say.moreless

Why do they still air this?

By Roletiderole, Aug 14, 2014

Seriously why? Every 5 or 6 minutes you hear Dora ask the audience something like "Where's the mountain?" when it's right in front of her! Then there's the Swiper the Fox scenes. All they have to do is say "Swiper no swiping" and he just flat out gives up! And even when they don't say it fast enough and he swips the stuff, all he does is just throw it somewhere in the woods and then they have to find it. But it's not that hard to find it! And also how does it get 4.9 at this site if IMDb gives it THREE point nine? Also I mentioned in a few of my other reviews that I was watching Gordy. Well now I'm watching One Hundred and One Dalmatians. Right now they're passing on the message of the stolen puppies. I recommend this movie and all the other movies I rated 10/10 over this show any day. Which is why I must ask, why doesn't this great movie have a profile here? They don't have one for The Jungle Book either. But at least they gave Gordy one!moreless

DORA ROCKS!!!1

By martinezfam1234, Jul 07, 2014

Seriously all you people talking shit about Dora are nimrods it's a KIDS show it's not for adults. All shows ask questions to the "Audience" Dora isn't the only one. What a about all the adult sitcoms that ask the audience stupid questions! & all you on here keep saying "Spanish girl" what are you racist? Maybe you shouldn't watch the show if you don't understand what she's saying, the shows trying to teach kids another language...

We like this show it's are daughters favorite she even counts in Spanish now due to only thing we as parents find weird is the NEW show there making called DORA AND FRIENDS... like WTF? now all of a sudden it's changing up?moreless

.um um um i.... wtf?

By alyyiki, Jun 18, 2014

this is pretty creepy. This little girl goes into the woods without asking with a freakin monkey, her parents are idiots. this has no point other than spainish. the only people that should enjoy this is the people that like seeing kids go into the woods and stare at you while she asks u where things are, when they're right behind her. she's a nightmare.

Dora the Explorer should really be shot.

By sutekikihaku, May 29, 2014

We were all kids once in our lives, having fun and watching great cartoons on TV. One of the most memorable cartoons we came across at some point was Dora the Explorer, a 30-minute show about a young Spanish girl going on adventures with her animal friends whilst speaking Spanish.

When I was a kid, I did watch Dora the Explorer and I even used to have a Dora birthday plush from Canada. Now, I think that Dora the Explorer is one of the worst kids' shows that Nick Jr has shown on TV. It is pretty much on the same level as Peppa Pig and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (which completely ruined the iconic mouse character we once knew). I have decided to review this show based on the episodes I've seen as a kid and everything I have written in this review is my own opinion. Also, I will add a new topic: Educational value

Plot:

This show doesn't have much of an interesting plot. To summarize the plot of this show, basically Dora is going on an adventure with her monkey friend, Boots. They pretty much have to fix these stupid scenarios that occur in these adventures and they have to find items that can help them along the way.

OK, I've barely explained the plot and from here I can already tell that it doesn't make sense. How on earth can Dora go on adventures with a wild animal? If this was reality, Dora would be hunted and most likely dead.

So, in these adventures (if you can even call them that), Dora and Boots often meet other characters and they are often stopped by Swiper the Fox, who wants the items that Dora and Boots found. They usually say: 'Swiper, no swiping' about 3 or 4 times then he goes away and drops the items he swiped. After that, the adventure is over and the characters celebrate with a stupid song.

OK, so I can obviously tell that this plot is fucked up. Why would there be a fox trying to swipe items and why would Dora say 'Swiper, no swiping?' Again if this were reality and Dora was stopping a thief or a rapist that way for example, all her items would be taken and she'd be dumped in a nasty trailer or van.

Characters:

Now, I move on to the characters. Obviously they all have some sort of issue, especially Dora. These characters are absolutely useless and most of them serve no purpose in this godawful trainwreck of a show.

Dora: She is the main character of the show and a very clueless one at that. She's not only annoying but she seems uneducated aswell. Everytime she and Boots go on one of their shitty adventures, Dora would stop halfway to ask the audience (us) some really stupid and repetitive questions. Here's an example:

Dora: We need to go to a hill. Where's the hill.

Audience: Behind you.

Dora: Where's the hill?

Audience: Behind you!

Dora: WHERE'S the HILL?

Audience: OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE IT'S BEHIND YOU IDIOT!

See? This just proves that Dora seems like she's blind or deaf. She really needs to get her eyes and ears tested to see if she needs a hearing aid or glasses. Also, she always wanders around the forest as if nothing bad will happen to her and she's also really (and I mean really) naive.

Boots: Dora's friend, who is of a course a monkey (which is a WILD ANIMAL!) that can talk. OK, how on earth can he talk and why does he wear those red boots of his? Also, why isn't he hunting and trying to kill Dora like a real monkey should?

Diego: Oh god it's Dora's older cousin! He's also annoying and naive, just like Dora (no wonder these two idiots are related to each other). Also, he has his own show which is on the same bloody level as Dora! (Oh god, why does he have a show too? WHY?) He's also doing a lot of dangerous activities, just like Dora aswell! It's surprising to see that he and Dora aren't fucking dead in a swamp!

Dora's parents: I have nothing to say about them except that they're completely irresponsible since they're unaware of what Dora is doing 99% of the time. They're on the same level as Jessie Prescott from Disney's 'Jessie'.

Swiper: The saddest excuse of a villain I've ever seen in my life, even sadder than the villains in Totally Spies and Trollz combined. He's trying to steal a load of useless items from Dora and he can't even swipe anything because Dora is saying 'Swiper, no swiping!' Why would he listen to this 7 year old little shit anyway? If this were reality, he would also try to kill Dora and possibly Diego.

Backpack: Oh god, the backpack talks too? Really? Really? The backpack is so bloody annoying and when it sings it's stupid 'backpack, backpack' song, sometimes I just want to rip the bloody thing apart so it isn't singing anymore? Let's just hope we don't have any other talking objects...

Map: NO. FUCKING NO. HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT, THE MAP ALSO TALKS AND IT SINGS AS IF IT'S HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL! The Map seriously annoys me with it's song, OH MY MOTHERFUCKING GOD, I GET THAT YOU'RE A MAP WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO GIVE ME DIRECTIONS BUT YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SING!

Jokes:

There's none.

Moral values:

Ah yes, Dora teaches you so much things. For example, she basically teaches kids to wander around in forests without their parent's permission and those kids will think it's OK to get a monkey to follow them around when it's a wild animal!

Educational value:

The only educational value in this show is that it teaches kids Spanish. Even the educational value questions me because what kid under 7 knows the entire Spanish language? I used to do Spanish in my first year of secondary school and it was difficult to learn!

Summary:

I decided to give this show a rating of 1. I would've given it a 0 but the lowest rating available for me at the moment is a 1.moreless

Painful and mediocre

By KingKool18436, May 17, 2014

This show is worse than Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I'm not shitting you.

This show is about a Spanish girl who goes on adventures in a forest with a monkey. OK, you can't be serious. She could've got beat up, raped, killed, or even kidnapped.

Her parents do not give a fu** if her daughter travels in the forest by herself. OK, that's interesting. So, let me get this straight: What if a lion injures her? What if she gets killed? Or, what if she gets raped, hmm? They probably won't give a damn. I guess her parents hate her after all.

What's annoying is that they repeat the SAME songs over, and over, and over, AND OVER. Don't you think kids wanna hear something different instead of "Come on vamanos, everybody let's go"?

The characters are also no-brainers. Every 5 seconds, they need YOUR help on something SO simple.

Here's a example:

Dora: Do you see the banana tree?

Me: It's right behind you.

Dora: *turns around* Where?

Me: You gotta be kidding me...

Also, here's another annoying thing. It's when they say "Swiper no swiping". After they say it for 3 times, Swiper just says "Aw man" and leaves. Okay, in real life that's not going to work. What were the creators smoking?

The episodes are boring and not fun. The art is good after all, even though they can be bright. The characters are stupid, annoying, and awful, and the voice acting is bad.

This show is NOT educational. If you're a parent, I would NOT recommend this TV show to your child.

Above all, here's my grade: F-moreless

Annoying, racist, filled with profanity, and downright CRAPPY!

By leviwellsy, May 13, 2014

Why Nick Jr? Why do you keep feeding our kids this crap? It's bad for them! The first season was the most annoying out of all of them!

Dora: I need your help!

Me: No you don't! *Obliterates TV*

In the latest seasons, the art design swapped to this crappy CGI animation! Now all of the characters look like Slenderman compared to the older seasons of this "show"! On top of that, the art design is just ugly! Like on any other bad show, the plots are in a repeated cycle and never ever stops! I know this is for kids, but the writers are skilled higher than that! Nothing positive to say about this abomination to mankind! INEXCUSABLE! This show only cares about Mexico, and not the good ol' USA. WHY?! ;_; I bet that Dora's parents got their green cards taken away! In the pirate play episode, I literally heard Tico say the F word. MULTIPLE TIMES! IN ENGLISH! In this show, they mostly speak Spanish, and they speak so fast, it's hard to understand what they're saying! "Jisdhsuosdjhuewqrhpoiahf!" If you want your kids to learn multiple languages, GO TO THE LIBRARY AND BORROW SOME DICTIONARIES FOR MULTIPLE LANGUAGES! SIMPLE! Viacom, do us a favor, and cancel this show, and Dora Into the City. Please. This show lasted for too long and feels like it lasted longer than The Simpsons.

UPDATE (MAY 13, 2014): And for those who are unaware, what I mean by "it's racist" is that I think this show is using Mexico's name in vain! I mean, those are Nick's versions of stereotypical Mexicans! On top of that, I don't even think Dora's Mexican! From the looks of her eyes, she looks more like an Asian!moreless

Easily one of the worst kid shows in history, How it's gone on for over 10 years is beyond me.

By Oldnickolodeon34, Mar 29, 2014

Words can not describe the abysmality of Dora the Explorer. I used to watch the show when I was little, but now looking back at it, I highly regret doing so.

Dora the Explorer is about a 5 year old Spanish girl and her friend monkey named Boots that go on adventures and try to reach their destinations to wherever they are going, but get stopped from doing so. The show is supposed to teach problem solving skills and spanish. When you watch the first 1 minutes of the show, you'll realize all the plotholes. Oh boy where do we begin?!

How do Dora's parents allow their 5 year old daughter to go outside wandering in the forest all by herself? Shouldn't the CPS be at Dora's house? Why doesn't Dora tell her parents about the fox that stalks her?

The characters are all braindead morons that rely on the audience for help. Dora asks the audience for help every two seconds like she can't figure out herself. And if ththat's not enough, she ACTUALLY asks the audience where trees or any objects that are RIGHT BEHIND HER are. Like, seriously? Can't she just get a GPS or take a look behind her?! She also encourages kids to yell at their TV screen as if they aren't speaking loud enough. Swiper is another character that ticks me off. He is literally one of the worst villoans in a TV series and is not threatening in any way, shape or form. Whenever he is about to steal/swipe stuff from Dora and Boots they say "Swiper No Swipey!" three times, and then he just gives up and goes. Wow, just... WOW! Are they sending kids a bad message or what? So basically that's saying if you tell a crook to not steal three times they will go away? No, it doesn't work like that at all. Dora's parents are inattentive to their daughter and do not seem to care if Dora wanders around the public forest all alone by herself. You're kidding me, right? What if Dora gets ran over by a car or kidnapped, their parents would find that to be completely okay?

In terms of artwork and animation, I can't really complain that much, because for what it is it's actually pretty decent. However, I think the colors are too bright and it kind of strains my eyes to look.

If you watch more than one episode, you'll realize the repetition of this show and it's plot. Here's how each episode usually goes:

1. Dora introduces herself to the audience.

2. Dora and Boots start their journey.

3. The two of them sing about where they're going.

4. They come across the grumpy troll.

5. The map sings

6. They get things they needs to reach their destination on their journey.

7. Swiper trys swiping those things but Dora and Boots stop him.

8. They continue to the adventure.

9. They reach the destination.

10. They sing we did it.

11. They ask what your favorite part of theday was

That's it. You have been warned. Don't show this to your kids, I can garuntee they won't learn much. Rating: 1.5/10moreless

I loved this a teenager.

By melodyives90, Mar 25, 2014

I love how it actually taught me something new even as a teenager! I loved learning Spanish from this show! The Spanish makes kids actually think unlike Mickey's Clubhouse. Also, people who say this show is racist... you guys do not know what racist means, do you? Anyways, love this show! Hate the older Dora!

Load More Reviews