Episode 6

Episode Reviews (2)

Great

3x06 - Grieving

By JDML23, Nov 15, 2012

This was a powerful episode because I really felt the depth of everyone's grief. I admit the drama over Bates paled in comparison to what the Crawleys where going through.

Once again, an excellent episode.

By Lady_Lancaster, Oct 25, 2012

As the Crawleys continue reeling from Sybil's unexpected death, her widower, Tom Branson, stuns them even more by announcing that the baby, named after her mother, will be Baptised into the Catholic faith. Robert reacts most strongly to this and tries to make Branson change his mind, all to no avail.

It seems that Robert is upset about many things in this episode as he always seems on the verge of yelling about something, providing he is not already doing so. Well done to Isobel for flouting convention and having the Crawley women, including Violet, to a luncheon party. If that doesn't silence Carson, nothing will.

It was a touching scene between Robert and Cora as they grieved for their daughter but I wasn't greatly impressed by the Dowager practically co-ercing Dr. Clarkson into saying that Sybil would have died anyway, with or without the emergency surgery, because that was NOT his opinion during the time that Sybil was in pre-labour and labour. Of course, the actress wished to leave the show so I suppose it was the only way to let her go, plus add suspense and drama.

Thankfully, it looks like the whole business with Bates has finally been settled. I hope so because it was getting very repetitive and boring.

I am sad that only two episodes of this season remain and I certainly hope that ITV1 exercises their possible option to pick up a third. I think the inhabitants of Downton would have a great time during the roaring 20s! Wonderful work again, especially by the amazing Dame Maggie Smith and kudos to Allen Leech for a great performance also whilst playing the part of a grieving widower with a baby to see to.moreless