Dragon Ball Z

Show Reviews (553)

Great

Probably one of the best Animes of all time

By DisneyVillain, Nov 24, 2014

The rating I give is for Dragon Ball Z as a whole. It was made 24 years ago and it has not aged a bit. Even today, there are video games and forums and fansites on the series. It is so popular, that it has even been released as Dragon Ball Z Kai, digitally remastering it. It has been dubbed several times in North America. I will review each dub down below.

Toonami dub 1998/ 9 out of 10 This is what introduced me to the series and I was blown away as a kid. Sure, a lot of scenes were altered but it was to make it appropriate to children, which I could forgive, plus I was a kid myself. This was also the first anime to be dubbed by FUNimation, my favorite dubbing company. By today, they are much more faithful to their properties, they were able cut down on most of the content on this series at the time and still make it awesome. That takes a lot of talent and only FUNimation could pull it off.

DBZ Uncut/ 7 out of 10 Though it was considered uncut, I don't really have any memories of this version, severely lowering the score. I don't think it lasted very long so it's hard for me to remember this well.

Dragon Ball Z Kai Nicktoons dub/ N/A I haven't seen this dub so I can't give a review for it. Sorry!

Dragon Ball Z Kai 4Kids/Vortex dub/ 1 out of 10. Yes, this dub was a complete insult. Many more scenes were removed from this version than the Cartoon Network version. At first I thought I missed them but no, they cut out the episode with Princess Snake and instead of just altering Hell like Cartoon Network did, they skipped it all out entirely. I still kept watching despite my outrage and finally gave up on this after hearing "Ginyu Force Rules" theme when the Ginyu Force introduced themselves. It was so horrible I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs. I haven't even watched the show after Vortex took over when 4Kids went bankrupt. This actually made me see how terrible 4Kids was as I grew up with Cartoon Network's dub of Dragon Ball Z.

Dragon Ball Z Kai Adult Swim dub 10 out of 10: Funimation along with Adult Swim made Dragon Ball gave the series a perfect dub. Rather than say blasted to another dimension or "went away," the character finally cut the crap and say die or death or kill. The blood is now in and almost nothing is edited. This is Dragon Ball Z finally getting respect. Out of all the dubs, this is hands down the best.moreless

Dragon ball z

By zwarrior2000, Apr 15, 2014

Dragon ball z is the best animated show ever love this animated show , and its unbeatable show . it is the father of manga. And its hero is also the best in the cartoon history,and its goku. He is awesome! . I am disappointed by the rating of this show , that people don't understand just awesome is this cartoon show. I have lost words for this show.

Greatest. Action. Animated Show. EVER!!

By Orca36, Mar 04, 2014

Alright, breaking tradition here. Usually I just review animated shows from North America and not Japanese animes. Mainly because, I don't watch many of them anymore. But a few of the ones I do watch, are among my favorite shows of all time. And the best one is without a doubt, Dragon Ball Z. This may just be my favorite animated show off all time, even more than the Looney Tunes. I never missed an opportunity to watch it as a kid, and today, I have all nine seasons on DVD. that's how much I love DBZ.

The characters are awesome. Goku is one of the most likable characters ever put into animation, he's kind, naive, competitive, and he's always trying to see the good in people, even if the people are the most evil villains ever. His son Gohan, is just as likable. I loved how he developed from a spoiled brat in the beginning to a complete badass in the Cell Games. Other Z Warriors like Piccolo, Krillin and Tien are cool in their own different ways. Future Trunks was awesome, one of my personal favs. Vegeta, while he's an egotistic bastard for most of the series, his development during the Buu saga was awesome, actually learning some humility while still retaining that tough, prince attitude.

The show itself was incredible. I have to admit though, I didn't like it in Japanese. I grew up with the Funimation dub on Toonami, and personally, it was much better than the Japanese version. I love the voice acting better, and the music by Bruce Faulcner was freakin' EPIC! The fighting, in both dubs of course, is spectacular, and I really loved the story. While I do think the Frieza saga dragged on a little too long, I loved the Androids/Cell and Buu stroy arcs. Also, I didn't mind DBZ's filler at all. They all fit in the canon storyline pretty well and they didn't drag on for a long time like they do in Naruto.

I have no problems with this show, it's just one of those perfect shows in my opinion. Dragon Ball Z had awesome characters, storylines, action, music, and it's hilarious in many situations. It's the action show that inspired some of the greatest animes to ever come out of Japan for a reason, and it just might be the greatest animated show (American or Japanese) to ever exist.moreless

sucks

By michaelvgabriel7, Feb 01, 2014

DBZ is too violent,it should be banned from playing the games and tv series,the games are unbeatable and the gameplay sucks on battle of z.

just pure epicness

By yotomareviewsstuff, Jan 13, 2014

who ever hates this show is just jealous that they aren't saiyans.

Dragonball Z

By deondrereynolds9, Dec 22, 2013

Always loved it as a KID and I still will as a MAN :)

Dragon ball

By sicomanthys, Nov 15, 2013

Dragon ball 100% PURE CONCENTRATE, excelent!!!

How much do I love this!

By nicholasfirel, Jul 19, 2013

100% PURE AWESOMENESS FROM CONCENTRATE! XD

The Greatest Anime Series of all time.

By johnharris505, Jul 03, 2013

Dragonball Z is the best anime series to ever make it onto television. It was the first one I fell instantly in love with, the first one that gave us the epic scale of insanely massive animated science fiction from Japan, and of course, the greatest Super Saiyan of all time: Son Goku.

This show was one of the most significant parts of my childhood. He was the Japanese equivalent of Superman for me, and he was just as, if not even more badass than The Last Son of Krypton.

This show is what I consider to be in the Epic Television genre. It is up there with the greatest cartoons ever made for TV. It wasn't just a show about epic fights and overcoming your enemies; it was also a journey of character development. That's what so many people seem to overlook when it comes to Dragonball Z. Goku is one of the most loveable characters in the show; he is a loving father, loyal to his friends, must overcome his own limits so he can defeat his enemies and is an overall badass. That's why I loved the show so much.

The characters are loveable, so much more than what can be said for the characters in Pokemon. That show was all about trying to 'catch 'em all'. Here, there is a reason the story is told. You have so much internal potential and power that you don't yet realise. Goku has all these traits that we as normal humans without superpowers, strive to accomplish.

Aside from the subtext of the show, it is just great stuff and is also incredibly funny sometimes. It still feels fresh despite the somewhat dated animation, yet the animation is still incredible. They just don't put this much detail into anime TV shows anymore. Mainly, it's the feeling you get from watching the show that stays with you. It's ultra satisfaction that's near impossible to get from today's television shows. You'll keep wishing that you were best friends with Goku and all the other timeless characters ranging from, Krillin, Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan, Trunks, Tien, Yamcha, and to a degree Bulma (she always crossed the fine line between funny and annoying, but that's just me personally). Still, even the annoying characters can be fun to watch because they add to the comical side of the show.

If you haven't watched Dragonball Z or any other anime, then you haven't truly seen what animation is capable of. Don't restrict yourself to only-Disney stuff. Go beyond that stuff, and Dreamworks stuff also. Animation is more than a kids-only pleasing medium. It's for everyone, just like this gem of a show.

I give Dragonball Z 10/10 dragonballs.moreless

Watch Team Four Star on Youtube

By demariusbridg, Jun 19, 2013

The animations are great and so are the characters. It made up alot of my childhood and I still watch it time from time. I don't know what channel this show started on, but it's brilliant.

Load More Reviews