News Briefs: Duck Dynasty's Season 4 Premiere Broke Cable Ratings Records

By Tim Surette

Aug 16, 2013

... Let's start this bill off with some quacky news that's sure to ruffle some feathers and leave others calling fowl! A&E's reality series Duck Dynasty returned to television last night for its fourth season and *BOOOOOM* set the cable nonfiction-series record for most viewers ever. 11.8 million viewers tuned in to see the family of bearded yahoos get into hillbilly hijinks, up from the 8.6 million who tuned in for the start of Season 3. I'm pretty sure The Walking Dead still holds the viewership record for cable scripted series, with 12.4 million total viewers. [A&E via press release]

BUSINESS TIME

... Howz about some USA return dates? White Collar and Covert Affairs return October 17, and Modern Family will make its syndicated debut on USA on September 24. [Deadline Hollywood]

... MTV's The Real World, an unscripted series about drunken buffoonery, misogyny, and fractured race relations, has been renewed for Season 29 (EAT IT, SIMPSONS!). The next round will send seven strangers picked to live in a house back to San Francisco, where the show first filmed 20 years ago. How many upcoming cast members do you think weren't born when that edition aired? Those with better knowledge of the situation than I say this could be the final season of the long-running reality series, following slumping ratings. [Variety]

... Ryan Murphy has let out some details on how Glee will handle the sudden death of star Cory Monteith. The specifics: There won't be many details. Monteith's character Finn won't die from a drug overdose, like Monteith did, and Glee may not tell viewers how he died at all. "Basically, what we’re doing in the episode is we are not telling you yet, or maybe not at all, how that character died," Ryan told Deadline Hollywood. "The idea being, how somebody died is interesting and maybe morbid, but we say very early on in the episode, 'This episode is about a celebration of that character’s life.'" [Deadline Hollywood]

... Tina Fey and her 30 Rock friends Matt Hubbard and Robert Carlock have another comedy in the works about an all-girls college that admits men for the first time. Several networks are reportedly eying the untitled project. This is the second comedy project from Fey that's drawn interest this week: On Tuesday, NBC bought another Fey-produced idea about a woman reconnecting with her father, though it sounds like Fey will be more involved with the college comedy. [THR]

... Nickelodeon has canceled Wendell & Vinnie, which was apparently a show on Nickelodeon. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Sex and the City creator Darren Star is heading up a project at TV Land. Star will write a comedy based on the book Younger, which follows a recently single 40-something Jersey housewife who pretends she's 20-something and lands a job at a hot publishing company and re-enters the dating scene where hot and horny guys drool all over her. Have fun dying two decades before your future husband, lady! [TV Land via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Josh Gad (1600 Penn's rampaging bowling ball named Skip) will co-star in FX's comedy pilot The Comedians, which marks the small-screen return of Billy Crystal as the lead. Crystal plays an aging and fading comedian (not much of a stretch) who's paired with a younger, hip, popular comedian played by Gad (okay, that's a stretch) on a late-night sketch-comedy show. Seinfeld's Larry Charles is behind the project, which I can't wait to see. [THR]

... Andy Richter (Conan's buddy and the original Cabin Boy) will be making a guest appearance on Fox's upcoming comedy Brooklyn Nine-Nine and this is just fine with me! Richter will play a doorman at one of the investigation sites on the comedy about goofy cops. Brooklyn Nine-Nine looks like the most promising sitcom of the fall season. Or at least this guy thinks so, according to the preview he wrote. [TV Line]

... You can expect delays on the set of Eastbound & Down. The revived HBO comedy has booked Lindsay Lohan for a guest spot, in which she'll play the daughter of a character who is getting married in a flashforward. [E! Online]

... Mena Suvari (American Beauty) will head over to NBC's Chicago Fire for a recurring role. In the firefighter drama, Suvari will play a friend of Dawson's who helps Mouch run his campaign for president of the Firefighters Union. And yes, she'll have a steamy thing going with one of the hunks. [Deadline Hollywood]

... CSI: Miami's Eva LaRue will drop by Criminal Minds in the upcoming season. She'll play a character named Agent Mays on the CBS procedural, and to prove it, she posted a picture with Shemar Moore and A.J. Cook on Instagram! Celebrities, they're just like us! [Eva LaRue's Twitter]

• Comments (20)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Svanehjerte Aug 18, 2013

Why, why, why do people watch so much "reality" crap?

Too bad about Wendell & Vinnie. It was actually one of the better kiddie channel shows.

"Have fun dying two decades before your future husband, lady!"
    I wonder why people don't say that more when it is the other way around, older men with younger women. Double standards. :P The show sounds terrible though.

Josh Gad makes me want to pass on The Comedians...

• JT_Kirk Aug 16, 2013

I saw "Cabin Boy" in theaters, it was utterly surreal, and not a credit I'd expect most folks to recognize Andy Richter from. Then again, thanks to Fox and NBC, there are no tv series that folks would recognize Andy Richter from, EVEN WHEN HIS NAME IS IN THE TITLE! Try some marketing, network jerks.

And that's your "rant spun off from a tiny reference in Tim's article" of the day.

• efonsecajr Aug 16, 2013

Really enjoyed the first three seasons of Duck Dynasty. Now the storylines seem forced. I'm not surprised that docu-reality shows are to some extent scripted, but its up to the people on the screen to sell it. So far, season 4 premiere, it isn't being sold correctly. Si is still great.

• BrianSchmittg Aug 16, 2013

"another comedy in the works about an all-girls college that admits men for the first time."

Sounds like that FOX show "Opposite Sex" with Chris Evans and Peter Petrelli.

• AndreaMcCooey Aug 16, 2013

Woohoo, White Collar! Its been too long with no Matt Bomer on my screen. Hope Price will be reviewing again, I've missed his Matt Bomer photo galleries. #drool

• wudntulik2know Aug 16, 2013

Which goes to show - never underestimate the stupidity of the American viewing audience.

• JohnCouto Aug 16, 2013

God I hope Ryan doesn't screw this episode up. :(

• KevinG87 Aug 16, 2013

the Covert Affairs thing seems weird considering it's supposed to be airing up until September 17th..

• sleepy-sonic Aug 16, 2013

I don't know why people still cast Lindsay Lohan.

• LeahLefler Aug 16, 2013

Billy Crystal will forever be funny to me. on a different note, remember that time Mena Suvari played a lesbian friend of Claire's on Six Feet Under? Anyone? Well, it was pretty cool. :)

• See More Comments (7)