Elementary

Show Reviews (182)

Great

The Addiction Solution should be Smarter

By Suzn6, Jul 13, 2015

Overall, I love this show.

This review is specific to a topic that has been crucial to all of the seasons of Elementary and that is the topic of addiction. I have struggled ever since season one, with the creator's decision to use Alcoholics Anonymous as Sherlock's program. Certainly this must have come from lack of research, since it seems obvious that the modern Sherlock would have chosen a science based program like SMART Recovery over AA. Likewise, the modern sober companion, Watson, also would have recommended this. It is frustrating to watch as the show does great things to enlighten the public about the realities of being an addict but then it is sad that the solution that the show promotes is not a "smart" one and not likely the one Sherlock would choose.moreless

Awesome.

By OliviaWalovski, Jul 05, 2015

I must say, this show is meant for people with brains. Jonny Lee Miller is the best Sherlock Holmes i've ever seen. The development of the characters is great. In fact, Elementary surpasses bbc sherlock in a million times.

Great Cases / Not So Persuasive Acting

By AuroraGu, Jun 25, 2015

Almost none of the characters displays himself the way they should, or at least the way we are familiar with from sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novels. Jonny Lee Miller is overly exaggerating as a disfunctional sociopath and Watson has nothing to do with the prototype (and that's not Lucy Liu's fault). On the other hand, Aidan Quinn is remarkably good as Captain Gregson, maybe because there is not a benchmark for his role. I would certainly like to see more of Rhys Ifans as Mycroft Holmes. I love the actor and he was great for the part.

The cases are very interesting and well staged and the whole plot is carefully escalated, minus the approach and persistence in the drug addiction matter.

Overall, it's a quite enjoyable show.moreless

Heart & Head Matter

By BonnieReimer, Jun 01, 2015

I love the take on this...

I love the Sherlock & the Female Watson; their acting is superb...

The addiction angle is tugging at my familial heart-strings.

Lucy Liu is no Nigel Bruce

By johnnycee888, May 17, 2015

On the other hand, she is Lucy Liu. And since no one could ever replace Nigel Bruce, I'm really glad they did this thing with Lucy. She's a doll and I really love the mix up.

Miller is outstanding to say the least.

Sorry mmackay doesn't go for Lucy. Well, maybe she'll grow on him/her.

I Cr 13:8a, Love never fails !

Lucy Liu is the Jar Jar Binks of Sherlock Holmes

By mmackay, Apr 18, 2015

I have loved SH since I was a little boy. The collective works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was one of the first things I ever read, and I have been a devoted fan of all things Sherlock ever since. At least until now.

JLM is marvelous. I even enjoy the New York twist, and the shows are well written, shot, cast, and directed. BUT Lucy Liu is, on a scale from 1 to 10, minus 75 trillion. I can't even watch the scenes she is in, I have to mute or fast forward during any of her dialogue, and it is still nearly beyond painful. I have never minded her in anything before, but her absolute butchery of this role is like watching a baboon finger paint randomly in the Louvre. Please. Someone. Make her stop.

I would rate the show a 9.5 but I am removing 5 points purely because of LL

Shame on you CBSmoreless

It is a great TV Show! Elementary! watson, elementary.

By upshot8888, Apr 16, 2015

First firstly I am a very big fan of Sherlock from the BBC and Benedict is just great in that role and the series done in that modernize manner.

So when I started watching the US version, Elementary treating it like a "reboot" I starting watching the first season and I have to say it was very well done! I separate myself from the the classic Sherlock and then the modern version and now a American version with a female Watson and though it depart from the usual, I am bowl over by the quality of the plot line!

JLM is very good in his role. I just found it a little strange with Lucy playing the role a little demure then the usual feisty roles she played in other tv series heheh.

I welcome this reboot very much and the writing and crime are above average and well made out then most crime TV shows of late.

till the next season of Sherlock from BBC comes around, I will keep myself occupied with Elementary.

moreless

Awesome!

By beornbjorn, Apr 15, 2015

Brilliant. JLM is such an underrated actor. There are a lot of fans who don't like this version of Sherlock, which is understandable. But to skip the show because of that is a sin. BBC's Sherlock with overrated Benedict Cumberbatch is nowhere near the acting that Miller brings. Miller is Sherlock with so many layers, while BC is just pompous a**.

Holy mackerel!

By Eblan-uebak, Apr 12, 2015

Despite all of the hole plots i love this show with all my heart! Jonny Lee Miller is incredible in this role, i hope this show will be airing for many years.

I agree with commentators, i didn't like Mycroft and kitty too, but let's just pretend like they never existed. Hopefully there'll be a better storyline in the future.

No comment

By JohnHWatson, Apr 11, 2015

Seriously, I watched a bit because I was curious. But that's not how I know Sherlock Holmes.

He turned all of a sudden into an American, lost all his taste for looking good and even his acting... he is too different. I wonder why Watson has to be a female? So if you want some Johnlock, it has to be straight?

However, Americans shouldn't have touch an British television. It is more than horrible.

The work of Gattis and Moffat are incredible, brilliant and would never get bored.

Even the cases are more interesting, plus the was way of the friendship between Watson and Sherlock is in BBC just incredible.

Moriarty a woman? No way, Moriarty is the Napolon of Crime, Mister Sex - the man with the key. Good looking, evil and just brilliant.

And no, I don't care that this silly television got more episodes than BBC and I would say for sure

the true BBC Sherlock fans wouldn't like it at all.

PS: Benedict Cumberbatch is the best Sherlock Holmes!moreless