Fox Is Holding Its New Military Comedy Enlisted for the Midseason

By Tim Surette

Sep 12, 2013

The fall season hasn't even begun, but Fox is already making changes to its schedule. The network announced today that it's pushing one of its promising young comedies, Enlisted, to midseason instead of debuting the series on its previously scheduled premiere date of Friday, November 8. The show will still air on Fridays, but will now premiere on January 10 at 9:30pm. 

Fox says the decision is aimed at taking advantage of the network's "winter sports promotional platform," which sounds to me like fancy talk for being able to run Enlisted ads during NFL and NCAA football broadcasts, in hopes of snagging some of the male audience the Stripes-ish Enlisted was made for.

The vacated November slot will go to a second new episode of Raising Hope, meaning Fox Fridays starting November 8 will look like this: Bones from 8pm to 9pm and back-to-back new episodes of Raising Hope from 9pm to 10pm. It's unclear how this change will affect Raising Hope's schedule, but my limited math skills tell me that more Raising Hope earlier means less Raising Hope later. 

I'd like to point out that this last-minute shuffling could've been avoided if Fox had paired Enlisted with Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Tuesday nights instead of using the multi-camera Dads as the lead-in for single-camera Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I suppose there's always the chance that Enlisted could take over for Dads if that show fails. But that would be such a waste of a "winter sports promotional platform!" 

Oh geez I haven't even told you what Enlisted is about! It's a comedy about three brothers (Geoff Stults, Chris Lowell, and Parker Young) who work together at a military base in Florida, washing tanks and polishing mortar shells while all the active soldiers are deployed overseas doing real army stuff. I wasn't that high on the pilot, but I think the series has a lot of potential, and with veteran comedy producer Mike Royce (Men of a Certain Age) on board, it has a chance to be something pretty special. 

• Comments (27)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • ToddMurray Sep 14, 2013

I always enjoy your limited math skills, Tim. Dads looks pretty awful from the commercials, so the odds of them needing a replacement are looking good. Usually that means replacing a show with extra episodes of Raising Hope, but since they've already done that to their schedule... oh, what the hell... three episodes of Raising Hope every week!

• JT_Kirk Sep 13, 2013

Sorry Enlisted, you just got FOX'D! Say goodbye to any chance for season 2, or seeing the last few episodes of your first season aired. But hey, at least "Dads" will have stolen your thunder AND been crushed to death before you even air probably... that doesn't make you feel better? We all saw it coming, you say? Oh, well, YOU JUST GOT FOX'D!

• Muderboy Sep 13, 2013

I hate it when WE get Fox'd. They probably don't even care...

• JT_Kirk Sep 14, 2013

Fringe shows they are conscious of it and occasionally will try to avoid FOX'in' audiences, which makes it even worse.

• hockeyrick Sep 13, 2013

A tv version of Stripes , and NO Bill Murray!

• AllieAllie Sep 13, 2013

Ooh, speaking of the fall schedule, when is this year's dead pool starting up?

• Montana_Katana Sep 13, 2013

Hopefully after tv.com tells us who won last year's Dead pool.

• Muderboy Sep 13, 2013

Yeah, that would be nice. Hey, maybe it was me!

• Montana_Katana Sep 14, 2013

Sorry, dude. Better luck this year.

• modernfamily120 Sep 13, 2013

This messes everything up...Enlisted I thought would be canceled and replaced by Us & Them by January, with Surviving Jack replacing Dads starting in January.

• terminaltrip421 Sep 13, 2013

based on the pilot this was one of my most looked forward to new shows. and it's not a shocker that your (p?)review (which I didn't read) was less than positive. just one of two reasons I don't read them.

• WavSlave Sep 13, 2013

Sadly, this probably means that Raising Hope will come to an end roughly twice as fast as I was already expecting. I don't expect that to return after this season and I'll miss it when it's gone. I dislike when two new episodes of anything air back-to-back, especially when you get the feeling that the network is trying to burn them off as quickly as possible.

If Dads ends up being a typo for Duds, as I fully expect it to be, expect some rapid reshuffling of their comedy schedule on Tuesdays.

Finally, what's up with Fox scheduling two half-hour comedies after an hour-long drama? I can't remember the last time I saw that happen, if ever. That's one of the weirdest programming decisions I've ever seen.

• Muderboy Sep 13, 2013

Every season someone trots out something like dads and it gets trounced. Are we not paying attention???

• Taccado Sep 12, 2013

One would think there's potential in military comedy. The jokes cold be more slapstick, kind of like in Hot Shots! and The Naked Gun series.

• houbou Sep 12, 2013

Sitcom on the military.. should be interesting, won't be MASH, but you never know, could be somewhat good.

• KevinG87 Sep 12, 2013

I'm sure Enlisted will be pushed up when Dads get cancelled.

• KevinG87 Sep 13, 2013

thinking back, I should've said something like Enlisted will be deployed early once Dads is dishonorable discharged. drats.

• tv_gonzo Sep 12, 2013

Yeah, i'm thinking the same thing.

• See More Comments (1)