And In the End...

Superb

About the episode

By JordanWelch, Jun 10, 2014

It got great directing.

Epic ending to one of the most amazing tv shows

By Tawny246, Oct 31, 2013

You know what I loved most about this epi is that they played the intro theme song one more time. In all the time i've watched ER they have never shown you a full view of the hospital. I loved it. Everyone wrote their own opinion about who should have come back for this epi and who got more air time blah. I thought it was a perfect ending and it left you with a feeling of continuity for all of the characters. If you have a creative imagination like I have thinking about what comes next for everyone is easy. lol :).moreless

Goodbye my best friend..... ER

By vicky24c, Nov 03, 2011

In this episode of ER, the following happens. We open this last ever episode of ER on a Monday morning at 4:00am. And of course we are straight away thrown into the ER drama. Then comes the thing I have been hoping/praying for, the ER credits are back!

We also soon learn that it is Sam's birthday. Then we see Susan and Kerry being shown around the Joshua Carter Centre by Carter himself. Possible new interns are shown round the ER by Pratt's brother, Chaz, and we see that one of them is Rachel, the late (and great) Mark Greene's daughter. A pregnant woman is brought into the ER. She has been in a car accident and is in labour, she is having twins. Soon one of her baby's, a girl, is delivered in the ER and it isn't long before the next one is on its way. Rachel introduces herself to Frank and as soon as she mentions who she is, he starts to look upset, almost as if he is about to start crying. Soon the 2nd baby is born, another girl, but she isn't doing as well as her sister. Then the mother starts getting worse and everything turns into a game of touch and go. They manage to stabilise the mother and soon she and the twins are taken to the OB wing of the hospital. As everyone is moved, the husband/father just stands in the room, and starts at all of his wife's blood on the floor. Soon word gets round about Rachel being in the hospital, and so Carter goes to see her. When they met, we learn that she is now 22 and that Elizabeth is in Chicago with her. So carter invites them to the opening of the Centre. She goes in for her interview and we see that Banfield is doing the interviews. We also see that Alex and Gates are working on a car for Sam. As the Carter Centre opens, we see that everyone is there, and then Kem shows up. Carter also tells the story of why the Centre is named the Joshua Carter Centre. Carter sees that Kem is there and he makes his way through the crowds to go and speak to her. When an intern goes to check on the twin's mother, we learn that she died. Alex turns up at the ER and takes his mother outside and gives her his surprise present, a red Mustang. At first is worried where Alex got the car from (possibly believing that he has stolen it), but she soon learn the truth from gates and is beyond happy with her present. Elizabeth and Rachel don't make it to the opening but they join the old gang for drinks. Soon they all disband, but Carter, Susan and Rachel all head into the ER. As a patient dies, we see Gates and Sam reuniting. We see Carter and Gates playing basketball, just like in the good old days. The hospital soon gets a call that there has been an industrial explosion nearby and that the casualties are only a few minutes out. And so it is all hands on deck. Everyone is outside as they waiting for the ambulances to start arriving. As ambulances start rolling in, there isn't enough room for them all and so they end up in the street, with ambulances. As the cameras move out, we see the County as a whole, and the famous music starts playing. Then the tears start rolling down my face, this is the last ever ER. And what a great ending to an amazing show.moreless

It made me cry. A show which i haven't watch for about 7/8 years made me cry. I wish i'd never stopped watching it. A fantastic episode, not to dramatic but eventful none the less. Job well done.

By FourStarWonder, Nov 03, 2011

Dr. Tony Gates treats a teenage girl in a coma with alcohol poisoning after she played drinking games with her friends. Gates calls the police when he discovers that the parents of the girl's friend supplied the alcohol, and has the friend's father arrested. Later, the girl's parents arrive, and request she be transferred to Mercy Hospital. Before she can be transferred, the girl finally awakens, but just thrashes around, and is sent for a new CT to diagnose possible brain damage.

Dr. Julia Wise new to County General, treats a homosexual HIV-positive patient who has severe breathing difficulties. It is discovered he has terminal cancer. With the support of his partner, he decides not to seek treatment, as he has already outlived most of his friends who died at the height of the AIDS epidemic in the 1980s.

An elderly patient named Beverly is brought in by a fire engine with a broken wrist, and comments on Dr. Archie Morris' "soft and strong" hands. She is later claimed by her daughter, as she had wandered off before her accident. She returns later, having wandered off again but otherwise not further injured.

A married couple comes in with the woman going into labor with twins, and John Carter and Simon Brenner handle the delivery. During the delivery of the second baby, complications set in. It turns out she has an inverted uterus, and requires an emergency caesarean section. The second baby comes out requiring intensive care, and the mother ultimately dies in surgery trying to fix the complications.

Mark Greene's daughter Rachel is visiting the hospital as a prospective medical student, and is interviewing for a spot in the teaching program. She is interviewed primarily by Catherine Banfield who confides to Carter afterward that she made it through the first cut. Carter shows her around after her interview, giving her a few pointers she will need if/when she is accepted into a medical school.

Carter opens his clinic for the underprivileged, with Peter Benton and his son Reese Kerry Weaver and Susan Lewis among the guests. He named the facility after his lost son, Joshua. After the event, he has an awkward reunion with Kem who is briefly in town. He also has drinks with his old friends plus Elizabeth Corday who brought Rachel to Chicago for her med school interview. Benton and Corday linger together after everyone else go their separate ways.

Marjorie Manning a previous elderly multiple sclerosis patient, comes in with her husband suffering sepsis and pulmonary edema. Mr. Manning is initially unwilling to let Marjorie go, but with guidance from Dr. Gates, he finally accepts the inevitable. Before Marjorie dies, her daughter arrives, and confides in Samantha Taggart her regrets over her relationship with her mother. This leads Samantha to call her own mother.

It turns out it is Samantha's birthday. Her son Alex reveals her present: a vintage Ford Mustang restored by Alex and Tony, who both decided upon bright red as its color over cobalt blue.

A young woman and her new mother-in-law both come in, in separate ambulances, with minor injuries sustained in a drunken brawl at their wedding reception, and continue arguing all the way into the treatment rooms. The groom later arrives, and is promptly torn between tending to his mother and his new bride.

The episode ends with the beginning of a disaster protocol: an industrial explosion, with a minimum of eight casualties. Dr. Carter is again pressed into service to assist. Dr. Morris is ordered by Dr. Banfield to triage patients as they arrive. The first patient was thrown 20 feet, and is diagnosed as a possible lacerated spleen or liver, to be sent straight to the OR. The second patient has a compound leg fracture with no circulatory impairment, which Dr. Banfield takes herself for an orthopedic consult. The third patient was electrocuted, and flatlined on the way in, declared DOA. The fourth patient has smoke inhalation, relatively minor burns and a pneumothroax, and is set up for a chest tube. The fifth patient had his left arm blown off below the elbow, with nothing left to save; Dr. Gates takes him in to repair the damage. Dr. Morris gives the sixth patient to Dr. Carter: third-degree burns over 90% coverage. As he runs the patient in, Dr. Carter asks Rachel to tag along, which she does enthusiastically. As Morris continues to triage patients, the original theme song plays and the scene pans out, revealing the entire hospital for the first time.moreless

Final episode was just tieing loose ends and reverting back to how they started...Great show!!!!!

By Chri25, Jul 08, 2010

The finaly episode was awsome. if you have seen it since the beginning from the pilot you would realize the meaning behind of alot of what was going on in the final episode. Like the beginning when nurse came and woke up Dr. Morris. in the pilot she was waking up Dr Greene the same way and treating the same kind of alent. and the ending when Carter said "are you coming Dr Greene?" to Dr Greene s daughter. just all around good writing and i though exciting..i enjoyed it and i applud for 15 great seasons..im going to miss it!!!moreless

Not mind-blowing which is what made it such a brilliant ending.

By stewie1423, Jul 08, 2010

I have to start with how happy I was to see the old opening credits playing...I was so annoyed when they got rid of them. That music just says ER straight away. The episode was just great...it was our last viewing of them but they were not ending...things would continue at County. I liked seeing characters like Weaver and Susan back, Corday and Benton added some humour.

The minute that girl came on screen I thought 'I've seen her' then it turns out to be Rachel, Mark's daughter. Really cool twist and idea. I thought Alexis Bledel was great as Julia...I liked her reaction the dead mother. That was pretty harsh of the writers...to kill the mother after she had twins. So not a huge pile to talk about...Sam/Gates look to be getting back together...Carter opening his medical centre and there's a new Dr. Greene.

The show has remained strong for 15 years and it ended well. Sure it's been rocky but it'll be remember very well. Goodbye ER.moreless

A slightly above average series finale for one of the greatest medical dramas or any drama really in the history of television. Kind of sad to see it go.

By DaVulture, Apr 24, 2009

ER in my opinion is the greatest medical drama ever, and basically influenced a handful of the medical dramas on television such as Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, House and those other medical programs on cable television. Sure there different but you can't tell me that they weren't looking at ER's success during it's peak when creating these shows? ER isn't the originator of the Medical Drama, there were shows before it but it was so original, so fresh, and so much more exciting.The way the show merged together the trauma scenes, along with patient sob stories, work place conflict, and the doctors personal lives is just brilliant. So to the finale, well basically if you want to know what happened in the finale, not much really. In a throwback to the first episode we watch a day in the hospital as Tony Gates takes care of an girl who is dying of alcohol poisoning due to a drinking game, and a new intern getting herself associated with the ER lifestyle. In the beginning of the episode we briefly see Carter talking with Susan Lewis and Weaver about starting a Carter Foundation, and how he donated most of the Carter family money. So basically the final episode focuses on a shift of all the main characters including Morris, Gates, Banfield, Sam, Frank and Jerry alternating shifts in the hospital. We do follow one intern played Alexis Bledel playing an intern. There is a nice scene of Carter, and Brenner teaming up to help deliver a pregnant woman. So basically the only thing that really happens is that Mark Greene's daughter tries to get a match at County, and Carter opens his foundation and gets emotional, his wife Kem shows up and she's still kind of depressed and the state of their relationship is unknown. So Carter, Weaver, Benton, Lewis, encounter Corday (She's in town as well) and Greene's daughter all stop by at a bar. After having a good time, Carter asks anybody if they want to come to the ER with him, only Lewis goes and Weaver heads home, Benton has a nice moment with Corday where they realize how the paths of their careers have gone. It really makes me realize how much the show misses the presence of Eric La Salle, Alex Kingston, and don't forget the other characters. It's also nice to see Benton's a pretty cool guy. So Carter returns to county, goofs off with Greene's daughter and at the end of the episode he shoots hoops and encounter Gates. They talk briefly in a kind of Anthony Edwards/Clooney way with Carter the Anthony Edwards mold and Gates kind of the Clooney like maverick, as they start to form a kind of relationship. So anyway while Morris, Gates,Sam, the interns and nurses are goofing off (notice Susan mysteriously left) they get a call for an emergency and all the doctors step outside waiting for the calm before the storm. So they get the victims and Moriss, Gates, Banfield, and Carter all step into action and Carter asks Greene's daughter (still there) if she's coming, a nod to the first episode as they head to County and the scene zooms out to show the entire hospital and the train line above it. Ironically I never heard the train ever in the series. So my opinion? Nothing really happened. Nothing like the ER getting shut down or something, and no Clooney, or Goran Visnjic. Not to mention is it me or did Carter ever talk to Greene's daughter in Season 8 whatsoever? Kind of funny he got chummy with her. One of the negatives of the episode is that it mostly focused on Gates despite this, I like ER so much and the finale in a way was bittersweet but perfect. Not a big finale where everybody leaves forever, nope the finale just goes to show that the characters still will continue work. Though for Carter his life really didn't turn out happy oddly enough.moreless

I cried a lot during this fantastic episode

By nadavp3, Apr 14, 2009

I'm very emotional right now after I finished watching the final episode of my favorite series of all times.

The show started when I was 15, and now I'm 30.

Half of my life, this ER was a constant factor for me. And I can't believe it has come to an end. The End of an ERa!!

I was so happy they brought back the opening theme that I LOVED so much and missed so terribly!! What a treat for old fans.

Great episode, full of all the elements ER was great at!! Action, Drama, the personal lives of the Doctors. To see all the old characters, and to have narrative and emotional closures and yet, to still have the feeling that it's SO not over, and it'll continue Forever!!

AMAZING!!

I can go on blabbering and it still won't be enough to express what I feel right now. Thank you for a perfect ending to a humane experience

I salute the creators and writers!!

Farewell!!moreless

Supperficial endings for every single character. Or not even that.

By leticeborges, Apr 13, 2009

It was the worse series finale ever. A show so full of deep stories and characters, with such a poor ending. No Abby, no Luka, no Ray, almost nothing about Neela and Simon, a superficial Sam and Tony.. The long waited Joshua Carter Center should have brought more people to its opening. We saw a lonely Carter, and kept waiting for the real explanation for him to come back to the show. He added nothing, in the end.

A terrible ending for a great show. Pitiful. Two hours of nothing... so much could have happened! You keep waiting for something great to happen, but suddenly it ends. Fifteen years of glory, and a big stain on the last episode.moreless

All good things come to an end...

By sylviasd, Apr 06, 2009

It only took a return to the original credits for my eyes to get wet...

Oh my God... I can't believe this is over, forever... Surely, my passion for the show has faded over the years but then the writers pull up a brilliant season 15, hook me up again and I just can't realise that we'll never check again at the County.

The series finale was brilliant. The writers gave the long-time fans a beautiful ending and a decent closure.

They managed to bring back most of the original cast. Their interaction is still perfect. Carter and Benton's hug was fabulous, Benton and Corday's talk was great, seeing Weaver and Lewis again was amazing. Not to mention the opening of the Joshua Carter Center and Rachel Green following her father's footsteps. Things have come to a full circle. Gates and Sam are back together. Of course their reconciliation is subtle but that's the characteristic of the show. Carter seems to be coming back to County, Neela seems to be enjoying her new life... We had closure for all the storylines but at the same time many things are open to our imagination so that's perfect. I know that contrary to some other shows finales I don't feel any frustration. Sadness but no frustration because my journey with ER has come to an end which gave me total satisfaction. Of course, I have a few complaints. I loved seeing Alexis Bledel and her character was particularly interesting (it would have been worth seeing her the whole season 15) but too much time was probably given to people we had never seen before or so little. I wish we had spent more time with Morris, Gates, Neela (I'm sorry Ray was not there...), Sam... all the characters we learned to love and cherish. But all in all it was faithful to the series classic. A lot of medical storylines, a lot of time spent with the patients and about the patients... That's what has always made the show so magical. The writers and the directors love their characters and they show it. The other current medical shows should feel inspired by such genius.

When I saw that an adrenaline rush was ahead of our doctors I could feel that this was the end. The theme song started, the camera zoomed out and it was over... It lef me there with tears and happiness. I started watching the show when I was 12. I am 27 now and I never got tired of it. As well as TV history closes a page I feel like I'm turning a page too, in my life.

I'm feeling nostalgic now and I remember the good old days: Ross, Green and Lewis doing pranks on Carter, Weaver being unsufferable, Romano being horrible, Jerry and Franck being hilarious, Abby being tortured and great... I can't wait to watch the show all over again.

Thank you John Wells, Michael Crichton, the whole cast... I'm really gonna miss you...moreless

Load More Reviews