Poor
4.3

Seth seems to know nothing about the subject matter of domestic abuse, or how to make black comedy.

By Girlygeek43, Aug 16, 2014

You see, first of all black comedy can be done the right way, IE Monty python but there was nothing funny in this episode. The episode tries to tackle a very serious subject matter like domestic abuse, but instead it's like trying to study a whale in sea world rather than the ocean. First of all aside from being an asshole, Jeff is very unrealistic and over the top. Real abusive relationships don't have abusers that are that extreme, and abuse victims are not that helpless and submissive to their abusers, they do want to get out of their abusive relationships, idiot. Trust me I have studied this issue before, and read about it on the news. But then we get the moral that in order to get out of an abusive relationship for good, you have to kill the abuser. IT'S NOT FUNNY! FYI Jeff committed domestic abuse in front of four people, he should have been arrested on the spot. I admit the iraq lobster did provide some comedic relief, but the rest of the episode is just not funny. But here's the big elephant in the room, this episode aired right after Seahorse seashell party. In that episode they said you should stay in an abusive relationship for the benefit of the abuser, and called Meg out on standing up for herself, in this episode Brenda is called out for not standing up for herself and it says you should not be in an abusive relationship. Seth, that is 100% hypocrisy right there. When a comedy show is filled with issues that involve politics, abuse, and other serious issues the wrong way, it becomes mean spirited, whiny, and annoying. If you really want to do black comedy the right way, watch some episodes of Courage the cowardly dog, one in particular is, The Mask. It did everything you want to tackle, the right way.moreless

Not Funny At All

By DerekWarren1, Sep 25, 2013

I think everyone else summed it up nicely. I saw nothing funny about this episode!

I've finally figured out WHY these episodes that are great in Seth's mind are starting to suck.

By MadameTamma, Jun 28, 2012

Okay, I have no problem with dark comedy, however if a dark joke fails you run the risk of making your audience very uncomfortable. This episode is a perfect example of dark jokes that just failed and as a result just made me feel disgusting.

If any good came out of this I've now I've finally realized why this show is become less funny with this episode. When you want to make a comedy out of a serious subject, political issues, controversial crimes, etc. you can go two ways. One, make it a satire where you subtly poke fun at the joke (Much like what south Park does), or you can talk about it like a moron to show that you a just a big dumb smuck who doesn't know much of anything about it. (I know of a lot of funny stand up comedians who do this). Seth is doing both at the same time and failing miserable at both at the same time.

I've studied domestic abuse and this is not how the abuser takes control, how the abused one gets to that point, or how the family should handle it. It's clear he knows NOTHING about this subject but has no problem preaching about it, but as I've said before the jokes he makes fail and It is in no way subtle satire and yet he expects you to take something away from it as though it were.

I think domestic abuse is a terrible thing, but this episode doesn't fail because of he took it too far, it fails because of where he took it.moreless

Cut the drama kids.. this is comedy

By ClaytonHicks, Jan 17, 2012

This episode is not funny and is WAY too dramatic. If you want crappy soupy drama go watch broadcast networks during the day. "Passions" and "All my Children." should fill your crappy need for... well, crap. Just keep the soap opera out of the family guy ive come to enjoy

Okay,THAT wasn't funny. Seth,woman abuse is a serious thing

By Woahwoah312, Dec 11, 2011

This episode has proven how much Family Guy has sunk below,and just sucks these days. Quagmire is in a comma,and his sister Brenda comes to save him. Everyone then meets her boyfriend Jeff,who is the worst FG character to ever be brought in. He is such a jerk who is not funny,and only yells. Brenda was just a pointless character. She never stood up to Jeff,and was just a useless woman. Lois then discovers that he's hitting her,and they start an intervention. Brenda then tells everyone that he's getting married to Jeff. What?! You mean that after getting hit and yelled at,she's going through. Wow,she is a pointless character. Quagmire then wants to murder him,and ends up getting nearly murdered. But Quagmire ends up killing Jeff,and at the end,he lies to Brenda,saying that he left her. Now,this was just an unfunny episode. Woman abuse is a serious thing,but Seth still decides to make funny jokes. Speaking of humor,there were barely any funny moments. The closest thing that made me laugh was Meg popping her zit,but the rest of the episode wasn't funny. Peter's jokes were unfunny,and saying he was going to kill Mort at the end was especially not funny. The Iraq Lobster would've been funny if it hadn't been used before. Quagmire seemed like the voice of reason for the episode. I liked him as the pervert he was before,but in this episode,someone should give him a medal. Overall, this was easily a horrendous episode and just proved that FG just sucks nowmoreless

If you want to go study a whale, try a tank, not a kiddie pool (or a toilet). Family Guy is too shallow for this.

By MrSneer, Dec 03, 2011

This episode was a big, f***ing mess. Let's look at the message here... "lol murdering a wife-beater is totally alright and justified". This is what happens when a man like Seth Macfarlane tackles a delicate issue; the man has no real understanding of the problem. He arrives at the most blunt, thoughtless conclusion.

Let's not kid ourselves; Family Guy characters are exceedingly one-dimensional. The abusive boyfriend in this episode was no exception. All he did was shout about beating his wife; there was nothing even vaguely realistic about his character. There was nothing human about this character at all (or anyone else for that matter, but that's a separate issue). The only way anyone can say that murder is an appropriate solution, is if they truly believe such people ARE the hollow shell represented by this episode.

And guess what, f**ing Seth Macfarlane, they're not. They are very complex, and some very disturbed and harmful, but everyone is human. Who the f***k are you to assume they never learn or change, and then decide it's appropriate to kill them. Who are you, God? You're too smart for the justice system? Because, obviously, you don't agree with it, so I guess you're above it.

Family Guy is the least enlightened thing on television. How people find the show insightful is beyond me. It's just too shallow; shallow minds, shallow humor, shallow characters. Peter Griffin is not even human anymore, he's like a fat, retarded Woody Woodpecker. You have vapid retardation mixed with... more vapid retardation, under the guise of "mature subject matter".

My advice to Seth Macfarlane is: stop pretending to be an intellectual. You obviously don't know how to be impartial, you never scratch below the surface. You're not mature enough to see beyond paper cut-out stereotypes, so stick with the only thing you do know- vomit and potty humor.moreless

By thefanof, Nov 22, 2011

This episode started off pretty rough and unfunny, but it actually morphed into an enjoyable installment. I liked the bit at the end with Joe e-mailing the fake note to the guys for their approval, and while this was really not humorous, it actually did serve a purpose.

People are going to say this episode justified abusing your significant other. No, it did quite the opposite. Yes, there were some jokes about it, but in the end Jeff paid and the overall message was that it is a horrible thing to do.

Family Guy has seen better days, but this really wasn't awful.moreless

An improvement over the last two episodes

By fsaenz0125, Nov 22, 2011

The last two episodes of season 10 were slow but decent. However, this episode was WAY better than Lottery Fever and Seashore Shell Party. Lots of people are saying that this episode was dark. It did has a dark plot but not until the third act where Quagmire battles Jeff. I wassurprisedthat Quagmire has a near deathexperience, but at least he killed Jeff. Of course, Jeff was kinda a major flaw in this episode because he was so harsh to Brenda (Quagmire's sister) and that's not right to have her marry a guy that yelled a lot. Other than that, I enjoyed this episode more than the last two aired episodes. Peter's role was animprovementas well (since he was a bit annoying in the last two episodes). There wasn't much humor in this episode (only around 5 parts were funny). I laughed at Peter& Joe talking to each other at very beginning, Joe calling Chris "Caleb", Peter playing Rock Lobster (Italianversion), and Peter making a joke. Overall, despite, Jeff's harsh behavior, I really enjoyed the episode. 9/10moreless

Hands down the scariest Halloween episode of the season. It worked very well as a non-occult thriller, but attempts at humor were awkward. Highly recommended to some; not recommended at all to others

By MDH1029, Nov 11, 2011

After enduring another lame "Treehouse of Horror" and lamenting the days when those "Simpsons" Halloween episodes used to be a little scary, mourning the demise of what used to be one of my favorite TV nights ("Allen Gregory" didn'tlift my spirits much) and - to be honest - maybe blaming Seth McFarlane for some of thismess, something almost unheard-of happened:I found myself pleasantly surprised after watching "Family Guy!" In many ways, "Screams of Silence" was the best damn Halloween episode of the season! I mean, this episode was *scary.* It wasn't funny at all, the characterization was totally off (since when has Quagmire been the voice of cavalier reason?) and the writers awkwardly wavered between trying to make domestic abuse silly and serious, but"Screams of Silence"succeeded where "The Simpsons" failed: children will have nightmares for months and months to come because of it. It was far and away the scariest and most suspenseful, darkest, most grave and serious episode of anything I've seen in quite some time. And the joke was kind of on us, asit wasn't about ghosts, witches or anything remotely occult, but an everyday reality: domestic violence.

Here's what happens: After learning that Quagmire has auto-erotically asphyxiated himself to the brink of near-death, Quagmire's sister Brenda and her monstrously abusive boyfriend Jeff visit him. The rest of the episode basically consists of Quagmire and his friends trying to get Brenda to leave Jeff, who makes Mark Wahlberg from "Fear" look like Rod and Todd Flanders. When those attempts fail (and after Joe disturbingly but accurately explains how the police are powerless when it comes to protecting battered women), Quagmire, Peter and Joe plot to kill Jeff. The episode becomes nightmarishly scary when the psychopath turns on Quagmire et al. By the end, the episode stops being a comedy altogether and turns into a suspense/drama/thriller that happens to feature characters from "Family Guy." It's a total departure from form, absolutely nothing like thelighthearted "Family Guy" you're used to seeing.

Thriller-wise, "Family Guy" duly noted that real-life situations are infinitely scarier than goblins and ghosts, so it aptly chose to pull a Stephen King and invoke a veryreal and very scary theme: domestic violence. And things got morbid only because the sad reality is that sometimes the only way to handlesituations like Brenda's/Quagmire'sis to take the law into your own hands. Thus, Quagmire, Joe and Peter's murderous intentions were totally understandable and the show succeeded in taking us to a very, very dark place. Again,quite King-like.The action and intensity were well-plotted. Jeff was rendered as a monster just believable enough to scare the crap out of you. The final scene in particular was directed spectacularly and worked up a great suspense. It was so well done that I had to remind myself that it was just an animated comedy! I actually thought for a second that Quagmire might die, and no, I wasn't smoking anything.There were a couple of violent moments towards the end when his physical pain (inflicted, of course, by Jeff, the psychopathic boyfriend) seemed real. It was almost impossible not to feel for Quagmire in this episode. I repeat. It was almost impossible not to feel for *Quagmire* in this episode. When was this ever the case previously? "Screams of Silence" did scary extremely well. It's wasn't exactly Dolores Claiborne, but still it was substantially better than "Fear."

On the other hand, I *did* have to remind myself that it was an animated comedy. The episode wasn't funny at all, unless you think auto-erotic asphyxiation and domestic violence are fodder for laughing riots. The moments in which the writers tried to portray domestic violence in a silly cartoonish way were especially regrettable. Scenes that were supposed to be funny (everyone but Quagmire bungling an intervention for Brenda, for example) fell flat in the humor department. Not to harp on classic "Simpsons" again, but - by way of contrast - those 1990s "Treehouse of Horrors" succeeded because they mixed two genres seamlessly, whereas the comedy was terribly uncomfortable here. "Screams of Silence"should have integratedthe comedybetter or simply left it out. Finally, when an episode begins with a character auto-erotically asphyxiating himself, chances are you don't want small children watching the rest of it. But if you're one of those new age pro-kink albeit anti-violence parents, you might want to at least preview the episode before letting your kids see it. Just saying.

Bottom line, some people will love this episode and others will hate it. Whether or not you like it will probably depend on your expectations going in. If you want to be frightened about frightening things that happen in real life, or if you're in the mood for suspenseful drama, or if you can simply appreciate the show trying to do something a little different, you'll probably like it a lot. If you want funny, lighthearted entertainment, or if you only want to be scared by things that are more occult, look elsewhere. Personally, I liked the episode enough to hope that "Family Guy" steps outside its comfort zone a little more, although I also hope that it infuses humor a little less awkwardly the next go-around.

End of review.

NOTE: You might just want to ignore my score. Again, some people will love it, others will hate it. I perfectly understand why someone would give it either a 0 or a 10. As my review indicates, I liked it on the wholebut thought the humor could have been handled less clumsily, hence my above-average but less than perfect score.moreless

I couldn't believe how low Family Guy has gotten. This was worse than the season premiere episode but that one had a couple of laughs and that is saying a lot. I enjoy dark comedy if done right but this episode was so dark I wanted to see the light.

By thundercat2000, Nov 11, 2011

Quagmires' sister Brenda returns after she heard that Quagmire was in a coma. He awakes after she sings to him. Brenda brings her abusive boyfriend who still beats on her. Looking at the situation, Quagmire decides to take matters into his own hands. With the help of Peter and Joe, they took the boyfriend into the woods to kill him. The boyfriend outsmarts them and tries to kill Quagmire but Quagmire gets the upper hand and kills the boyfriend.

There was nothing funny about this and how they treated the subject matter. Violence against women is a serious subject and there or have been shows that treated the subject right whether it was a drama or sometimes a comedy. I know Seth was trying to go for a serious episode but he brought back a character that wasn't even worth bringing back. Brenda was a very weak character and wasn't developed enough and neither was her abusive boyfriend. If there had been a back story on them, then I would have liked Brenda more. She never stood up for herself and the boyfriend was a one note monster. Seeing Glen as the hero was just wrong. I agree with another review that continuity in this show is bad. I wished there had been continuity. The zit joke was bad and so were every other joke.

Time to lighten up Seth!! As I said before, this episode was so dark I wanted to see the light.moreless

Load More Reviews