Family

Show Reviews (8)

Great

Most reviews of "Family" on this forum wander why the series was so touching as well as open. I have a tip of the answer...

By jaiar, Jun 23, 2012

While the characters might look ordinary upper-classers, the truth is what made them special was the fact that they were actually pretty freaky. High-eyebrowed Sada Thompson's constant expression of awe, the oldie father, the generation gap between their children, and last but not least, Buddy's mind-blogging look bordering lesbianism where mesmerizing for a kid like me.

The pace of the show was slow, and one thanked it. The protected community they lived in was a relieving bubble within the dark downward trend of the late 70´s, when darker meant better.

I remember the first time in my life I learnt of Virginia Woolf, was through "Family": It was a book of Woolf's correspondance that Kate was reading in bed in one of the episodes. I guess I was 11 back then, and imprints of such an early age for some reason have a longlasting effect.

Long live our childhood memories!moreless

An excellent example of some of the fine television which was a part of the 1970s. "Family" was a real show about real people and there was something in it to strike a chord with everyone.

By Lady_Lancaster, Jun 21, 2011

Doug and Kate Lawrence (James Broderick and Sada Thompson) and their three children, Nancy, (Meredith Baxter)Willie (Gary Frank) and Buddy -real name Leticia -(Kristy McNichol) were a family with which most people could easily identify. The Lawrences were normal people, leading normal lives and dealing with realistic and important issues. The show was never over the top or melodramatic and that was one of the reasons it was so watchable and so popular with audiences during its 4-year run from 1976 - 1980.

There were moments of light-hearted comedy of course, but mostly, the show was a drama which never strayed into the unbelievable and ridiculous. The things the Lawrences went through on a regular basis were always things that could (and do) happen to anyone. Marriage, divorce, teen crushes, menopause and many other events, written with sensitivity and realism by the writers made "Family" one of the best shows of the era and one that could be watched over and over without one ever getting sick of it.moreless

An "upper middle class" family in Pasadena, California (Doug and Kate Lawrence, and their children Nancy, Willie and Buddy) - their lives, trials, joys, sorrows, etc.

By allthingsJulie, Jun 21, 2011

I began watching this show when I was in high school. At that time, it was a real eye-opener for me, showing me more of the issues "out in the world" that I may or may not face in the future. The characters were real and multi-dimensional. They had flaws and strengths. They had the ability to bring joy and to irritate! But the actors all worked together to bring us a moving story each week. My favorite was Sada Thompson, who had so many layers, that each week could bring surprises from her. Very endearing was her ability to bring subtle humor to many situations. A truly talented actress that the American public at large was fortunate to see, after her successes on the Broadway stage.moreless

Broke new ground in the 70's for dealing with real people Issues. This popular drama was Aaron Spellings's favorite of all his productions. Outstanding writing and cast.

By brainchannels, Jun 21, 2011

This show was very popular in its day, though today it has been nearly forgotten. It stirred up real emotions in dealing with real life issues that few programs of its day dealt with. Problems of teenage alcoholism, child abuse and other similar themes. Those issues were taboo for television at one time. This program opened the floodgates for other programs to explore the drama behind people's personal struggles and growth issues. Kristy McNichol won two Emmy's for her tomboy role and was a key to the success of the program.moreless

Probably the best dramatic TV show of the seventies!

By bocaproductions, Oct 27, 2005

OK, I may be a bit biased since I worked for Spelling-Goldberg Productions during the last two seasons of Family.

However, I can say without reservation that Family was my favorite TV series of all time, and one that changed my life.

Family is also a series that should be available in its entirety on DVD. I hope someone knows if this is in the works?

Family was a poignant family drama in the vast wasteland of mindless seventies TV. Each episode dealt with believable family issues in a caring and intelligent manner.

Other than Miami Vice from the eighties, and Highway Patrol from the fifties, Family is the only TV series that makes my DVD must have list.

Gary Myers

Website:http://bocaproductions.scriptmania.com

Email: bocaproductions@yahoo.commoreless

One show I was afraid to admit I watched

By fluffybear, Sep 01, 2005

Family was one of those shows which you could not admit to watching while I was growing up as it was uncool for a guy to watch a show such as this.

Family was always a personal favorite for me and a show I deeply miss.

The show featured some of the biggest names in Television (at the time). James Broderick and Sada Thompson led this all-star cast in story ry lines were well written and could leave you begging for more or ripping your pillow apart concerned about what is to happen next.

Family is one fo the few shows out there which needs to come to DVD or be picked up one of those Women channels such as a new generation of viewers can appreciate this quality show

moreless

Drama focussing on the average upper middle class family of the late 70's. Meredith Baxter starred as the oldest daughter.Gary Frank as the son,and Kristy Mcnichol as the younger daughter Buddy.

By FileChick, Jun 23, 2005

I wouldnt call it the desperate Housewives of the 70's however it was risque for its time...Favorite line of all times was from guest star Leif Garret(portraying the boyfriend of Buddy) When trying to convince Buddy to go all the way he tells her "But a man has needs".For General Hospital Fans it is interesting to note that Genie Francis had a recurring role as a schoolmate of Buddy's before she took over the role of Laura.