FX's Fargo: Watch the First Official Trailer (VIDEO)

By Kaitlin Thomas

Mar 19, 2014

We've been seeing all sorts of funny, awesome teasers for FX's Fargo for a while, but now the network has finally released a full trailer for its darkly comedic TV adaptation of the Coen Brothers' 1996 film of the same name. Starring Billy Bob Thornton and Sherlock's Martin Freeman, and with a supporting cast includes Glenn Howerton, Bob Odenkirk, Colin Hanks, Oliver Platt, Kate WalshAdam Goldberg, and more, the series premieres Tuesday, April 15 at 10pm.

Made with the Coens' blessing (they're also producers on the series), Fargo is a closed-ended true-crime story with a limited run of 10 episodes, but it has the potential to continue on in an anthology format, similar to that of  American Horror Story or True Detective. If I thought Matthew McConaughey could pull off the accent, I'd suggest him for Season 2. 

What do you think? Will you watch Fargo?

• Comments (24)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • TheFza Mar 22, 2014

hmmmm, could be good

• Svanehjerte Mar 20, 2014

Looks great!

• current Mar 20, 2014

I did wonder what happened to some of the cops on Alaska State Troopers, now I realise they were hired as vocal coaches for this.

• No1Slayerette Mar 19, 2014

Urgh, those accents.

• Bottron Mar 19, 2014

Fargo is NOT a true story. The text in the film is part of the script to give strength to a story that isn't all that interesting. I'll probably watch the series because of the amazing cast, but they better have expanded on the story to make me watch a 10 hour version of Fargo.

• panayotov Mar 28, 2014

Honestly, I forgot about that text as soon as the movie started. I loved it.

• harpier Mar 19, 2014

The movie—I know very little about the television show or its degree of fidelity to the movie, if it's even the same story—was a fictional elaboration of events that happened in 1986-87. A Connecticut woman disappeared under strange circumstances, there was a bloody rug that disappeared and was found in a landfill, and police finally discovered a few years later that her husband fed her body through the wood-chipper.

It also seems that elements of the bungled kidnapping scheme bear a lot of similarities to two other Minnesota cases from the 60s and 70s, both of which got a lot of press at the time. The story isn't "real" but it's more or less synthesized out of several different cases.

• thekaitling Mar 19, 2014

WAIT. WHAT. IT'S NOT A TRUE STORY?

• Bottron Mar 19, 2014

Crazy right, but according to Ethan Coen "the script pretends to be true".

• current Mar 19, 2014

A definite draw to this. It has some great character actors, so let's hope it has some great writing to match. It's got to have the quirk factor set to 11, simple as.

• GarthDanicich Mar 19, 2014

A "true-crime story"?

I think someone doesn't really understand Fargo...

• edge1710 Mar 19, 2014

Martin Freeman with an "American" accent. That needs some getting used to.

• harpier Mar 19, 2014

This just made me SO HAPPY! I have zero idea about the plot, and I just don't care.

• lr2jules Mar 19, 2014

Loved the original Movie and this adaptation has a great cast, so yes, I will check it out!

• See More Comments (4)