In Sickness and in Health

Episode Reviews (20)

Fair

Bad...Just Bad

By Shinigami124, Mar 09, 2012

Wow! this episode was horrible. Everything about the episode was stupid and predictable. I would rather shoot myself in the face several times and then light myself on fire than watch this episode again. Nothing about the episode reedemmed it and after a few minutes i felt like the director just yelled **** it!" and then shot himself in the head. Studies show that 90% of the population killed themselves after watching this episode. On the walls, in blood were the words "Why God Why?" anyways this episode sucked just like the last one and the one before that. This show really needs to get bettermoreless

not worth it for psych fans

By Littlegirlcat, Aug 27, 2011

i am not familiar with this series, and the only watched it because the actors from psych (james roday, maggie lawson) were in it. If you watched it for these reasons, don't bother. this episode is nothing like psych. First of all, the acting is terrible. roday and lawson not nearly as good as they are in psych. also, i didn't get half the plot, especially that twist ending. I think they just tacked it on there at the end because they needed a twist. apparantly, they needed one that was totally confusing and impossible to understand. was sam (lawson) actually the serial killer? was it her groom (roday)? Or was it that creepy brother guy? Honestly, i watched the ending over again about 5 times and still never got it. so if you are like me and watching this episode because you like psych, don't bother. It is not worth it.moreless

By thefanof, May 10, 2010

What do you get when you have a very Twilight Zone like story and two stars from Psych? Tonight's episode of Fear Itself.

While I saw the twist ending coming from a mile away (the note actually should have gone to Carlos) that does not mean it was not a great hour of television. Networks tried to restore the horror series with shows like this, Masters of Science Fiction and Nightmares and Dreamscapes, but for some reason people just did not tune in.

I hope soon a channel will give it another go, but despite the poor ratings, Fear Itself was a very enjoyable series.moreless

It's fair and doesen't hurt to watch, this series wouldn't miss it much. Scores 4 points for James Roday, 1 point for Maggie Lawson, 1 point for William B. Davis and 0,5 for the episode effort.

By BillieBJones, Aug 18, 2008

(warning: contains spoilers!)

We have a disfunctional family composed by 2 siblings, Samantha(the Bride)and Steven, both of them psycho-killers apparently with Dissociative Personality Disorder. They target Samantha's dates. After Samantha gets engaged her brother Steven dresses as a woman, flirts with them grooms and starts to stalk them, ultimately delivering them a note(anonymous) saying they are about to marry to a serial killer. That causes them to ditch on Samantha and thereafter the twisted siblings manage to kill them and keep their heads as a trofee in big jam jars in their house.

Samantha is about to marry Carlos. Carlos is an only child who became an orfan at age 16, when his parents "disappeared". It is suggested to us that Carlos is a psycho-killer, that he targets killing the bride right after the honeymoon, and that he was the one who killed his parents.

Samantha and Carlos do not know about each-other being psycho-killers, but even unaware of that fact, it seems to be the subconcious reason why they like eachother, and ultimately the reason Sam seems (temporarily) incapable of bringging up her psycho-killer alter ego. Well, that's the most decent sense i could come up with after watching this episode, yet there are lots of holes left on the plot, questions to be answered and poorly used elements. It's fair and doesen't hurt to watch, this series wouldn't miss it much. James Roday fans thought would miss a great oportunity to see all his acting skills as he did a pretty good job while playing a bad guy, and that's worth the episode itself.moreless

Huh???

By jenicecream, Jul 23, 2008

First, let me say that I love Psych and James Roday. I love John Landis. I, however, hated this episode. It made no sense at all.

The setup was good. The bride gets a note that she is marrying a serial killer. Okay, I buy that. They had not known each other long. She had bad luck in relationships.

Then the whole show dissolved into the bride blindly running around alone. Where was the maid of honor? She met the out-of-nowhere twin uncles. Who cares? The groom runs after her, and she is terrified. Why?

I am all for red herrings and twists, as long as they make sense and are well done. The red herrings went nowher. The twist negated everything we had seen in the entire episode. What a cheat!moreless

Almost impossible to believe a John Landis directed this, but then I remembered The Blues Brothers 2000.

By JohnMunsch, Jun 30, 2008

I'm truly puzzled why I stuck with this painful mess till the very end, but then, if I hadn't, I wouldn't be able to warn you away from watching it. This was the first episode I watched of this Friday night horror anthology but clearly, if they were willing to let this air with their names attached to it they aren't too concerned about the quality of their episodes. Flip over to virtually anything else and you'll be happier. Why? Oh, if you have to have reasons: extremely rushed appearance to the overall production, blocking, camera setups, acting, everything appeared as though you were watching the first or second take, characters who seemed like they might have something to do with the plot but ultimately had zero to do with anything, a hair brained "twist" ending that was tacked on and in no way made any sense, acting that wouldn't cut the mustard on even the most mundane of soap operas. I could go on, but why bother.moreless

This episode was pure crap. The ending cancels out everything you watched before then.

By oopl, Jun 30, 2008

Utter waste of time. This episode was pure crap. I can't believe they would air an episode like this. There's more horror to be seen in rigged flash games where a zombie jumps on screen unsuspectingly. The ending causes the whole episode to fall apart. This is worse then watching an entire tv series and then finding out everything in the past year was in the main character's dreams. Again, how do they release this crap? There's got to be an abundance of film grads who can make a better episode then this with 1/10 the budget. This series is going down the drain. I tried to rate this a 0.1 but tv.com won't let me.moreless

If you've ever seen or read anything in this genre before, you'll have the plot figured out before the first commercial break, i.e. as the prologue goes to black.

By HugoFitch, Jun 28, 2008

I hate to say it, but this show is getting worse by the week. Why the writers felt the need to bludgeon viewers of this episode with a barrage of suspense-killing clues is beyond me. From the opening scene in which Gurrlfriend and Bride-to-be are rehashing the latter's history with men ("...they just disappear..."), to the incessant reminders that the pastor is hard of hearing, to abstruse dead-end plot aspects (twin uncles? huh?), this proved to be a tedious exercise in poorly written and equally poorly acted television. Alfred Hitchcock Presents could have done a fine job with this story in half the time, and without dropping a single clue on an audience whose intelligence it obviously had more respect for than Fear Itself does for its viewers.

I must also say that Fear Itself has now populated four episodes with annoying, hard to watch actors, and I see that next week's episode will feature the most annoying actor on AMC's Mad Men. Ugh.moreless

I wanted to rate this 0.1, but it wouldn't let me. I'm watching it a 2nd time because after watching it the first time, the ending made less sense than betting your life savings on Uwe Boll winning an Oscar, and I want to know what I missed.

By thorswitch, Jun 28, 2008

I like James Roday and Maggie Lawson - though I have to wonder if NBC thinks that "Fear Itself" will have a big enough audience to get people introduced to the actors from "Psych" and follow them back to their normal show, or if they think "Psych" is popular enough that using actors from that show will bring fans to "Fear Itself."

In either event, this just has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen on TV. Twist ending are all well and good, but once the twist occurs, there needs to be a feeling that the story somehow led up to it and all the questions raised by the plot thus far will all click into place. Under NO circumstances should the twist make so little sense that you feel compelled to go back and rewatch it to find out what it was you missed. Whatever. I may give it one more shot, but if the next outing is *this* bad, it certainly won't last any longer than that on my DVR.

==========================================================

--------------- **spoilers in the update** ---------------

==========================================================

UPDATE (10:48pm) Nope, didn't make any more sense the 2nd time around. I've gotta agree with the other posters who find it ridiculous that, if *she's* the serial killer, why would she be afraid of marrying one? You'd think she'd figure that either they'd have a *lot* of fun working together or that if she started to feel threatened by him, she could pretty easily take care of herself, eh? Yeesh! And was it really clear that she's the killer, or is it that her brother dresses up like her so that if she were ever to try and tell anyone, evidence would lead to her and not him (not that that's terribly likely to work in the real world, but obviously this episode didn't take place there, so who knows?) Maybe that's why she never reported him to anyone.

And what was the deal with the identical twin uncles, and all the hush-hushed talk about Carlos' parents? Red herrings are all well and good, but this was more like when one of the soap operas had lost one of their regular actors, so one day his character went upstairs to check on something, and he wasn't sean, heard from or spoken of again until a few years later when they hired a new guy to play him. There just needs to be *something* that those tie into, even if it turns out to be very subtle or unimportant.

What a *waste*!moreless

I love James Roday so I had to watch this episode but...I WILL NEVER WATCH THIS SHOW AGAIN.

By SweetMissJaye, Jun 28, 2008

I am a huge fan of James Roday. I love the show Psych. I was ready to give up on Fear Itself after the first three unimpressive episodes but when I realized that James and his girlfriend/Psych co-star Maggie Lawson were going to star in this episode, I decided to watch it. I also heard that Landis would be directing and since he has some skill as a director, I hoped the episode wouldn't be terrible.

I suppose I can say that I don't regret watching the episode and the reason I don't regret that is because James and Maggie acted wonderfully. James Roday truly looked evil at times. Maggie's fear was impressive, although it really doesn't make sense that she was so scared.

At many points in the episode, especially the scene between Carlos and Sam in the church, the dialogue didn't really make sense. Their actions and the stuff they said wasn't totally cohesive. At times I thought to myself "Why would she say that?" in a response to something he'd said, or vice versa.

There were a couple of suspenseful moments but they didn't last long and I don't think any part of this episode could be described as scary. (And did that little girl's screaming annoy anyone other than me?) I liked the little surprise ending because I'm dumb enough to not have expected that. I expected her to "forgive" Carlos and go hug and kiss him, and then he'd stab her to death or something. Still, as pleased as I was with the ending, a lot of this didn't make sense. If she was a serial killer, would she really be THAT freaked out about possibly marrying a serial killer? Why did her brother have to dress up like a woman in an attempt to deliver the note? Why didn't he just scare Carlos away himself or just tell him the truth face to face? Why wouldn't he just kill him (if he's in on the murders with his sister). This is something I'm not very clear on. Is the brother a killer too? And what was up with Carlos' uncles? They kept nodding to each other and making cryptic faces. What were those expressions about? Why did Carlos look so evil if all he was hiding was a dinner date? I could go on and on with the questions but the truth is that I won't care about the answers after I'm done with this review. I will never watch this show again.

I love James Roday and I like Maggie Lawson but even being a fan of theirs wasn't enough to make me like this episode more.moreless

Load More Reviews