USA vs. Ghana

Good
7.4

Good Match

By karlmeszaros, Jun 27, 2010

I guess America ran out of comebacks, but they sure left a memorable mark on these Finals. The Landon Donovan goal in stoppage time to beat Algeria is the stuff of legend and should help the game grow in the US.

I think the Americans should be very proud of themselves. They played honest football, won their group and gave it their best shot against a Ghana team that is Africa's best at these Finals. Unlike several teams, whose players seem to think it is necessary to act they've been shot at the slightest contact, the US just played the game. For a country ranked #14 in the world, this was a solid result.

Ghana will be in very tough against Uruguay and while I wish them well, it's hard to see them getting best the South Americans.moreless

round of 16

By thefanof, Jun 27, 2010

And so the magical run for the USA comes to an end as Ghana, the same team that eliminated them in 2006, knocked out America here again. The US had to come back from a 1-0 deficit, but after they did that to force an overtime period, Ghana got the go ahead goal and was able to play keep away long enough to advance.

The US team was never that great so I guess they should be proud of making it here, but there are no moral victories in the World Cup. Still, they made for compelling TV and I am sure some people in the country will still be feeling the effects of this at work on Monday morning.moreless