Flash Gordon

Show Reviews (74)

Good
7.2

By danharr, Aug 14, 2010

It took some time but Flash Gordon became one of the better remakes of last seasons tv line up. A slow introduction to what many forgot is a super-powerless hero and his friends. Dale Flashes love interest was for me the weakest of group. She was not that attractive and her acting tended to be wooden. Aura who was Mings daughter provide the alleged hottie aspect of the show and to her credit was a much more dynamic character. Ming was a reserved tyrant compared to the eighties movie which most people associate with the Gordon lore. Most fans didn't like his take on the character but I didn't need a raving madman in my dictator so I was fine with his portrayal. With Zarkov and Baylin rounding out Flashes group. The cast came together nicely despite the dreadfully childish material they had to work with. To the shows credit it's hard to create a world of mystery and wonder. So I have to say for what it was it was good after all every show can't be Battlestar Galactica and sometimes a little cheese on a Friday night before and or during a few drinks is what you need.moreless

Okay, it didn't quite click with the original comics, but I was okay with that; as far as sci-fi is concerned the show wasn't bad.

By Katelome, Aug 14, 2010

I think another season would have been telling, but like journeyman, jericho, and others, it was cut before it really got its steam up to where I think it could have gone. The actors were good, not great, but good, and I think the storyline in the first season was okay to kinda funny...lots of potential, a gemstone in the rough...maybe, but we'll never know now.

The same main actress in this show played a lesser role in the series Blood Ties, which was also cut this season, although from a different provider. Now THAT was a great series...just made it two before it got the ax...maybe Sci-fi will take that one on?

As for Flash Gordon, I hope it is like the Sci-Fi powers inferred in their explaination as to why they snuffed it out...they think they could do better with the material, and want to give it a couple of years and then present another Flash Gordon series that's completely different than this one...more true to the comics? We shall see. Fare thee well Flash Gordon, I enjoyed you while you were on the air.moreless

My god how bad is this show

By columpd, Aug 14, 2010

Flash Gordan has to have been the worst remake of a show ever this made shows like black 7 look like a high bugget production ( by the way blake 7 was a great show and some ne should make it again). What were they thinking of or not thinking when they came up with the idea of reimaging of Flash Gordan the acting was so wooden and unbelivibul the sets were to say the least bad the use of red filters and dark filters was over the top and in most uncalled for wether they were trying to show that the audience that they were on mongal or earth did they think we were thick and could not work that out ourselfs .

Thank god its gone and some one with a bit of talant with take it and make the show the way it is ment to be.moreless

Absolute rubbish, quite possibly the worst pilot I've ever had the misfortune of watching.

By Bendyfay, Apr 19, 2010

There is not a single redeeming feature of this show, it is so poor I still have a bad taste in my mouth 24 hours after watching it.

Where do I start though?

1. The first shot of Mongo looks like any old generic warehouse/factory location from any old crappy show from the early 90's.

2. Ming The Merciless. Not only is he NOT bald, nor have a goatee - they have cast quite possibly the least menacing bad guy EVER here! Honestly, it would have been more convincing to have used a puppy.

3. Sets. Cheap, oh so very cheap.

4. Script. What script?

5. Plot. What plot?

6. Acting. What - you see where I'm going here?

Avoid this show at all costs, it's just plain rubbish.moreless

This series brings the famed comic strip character to the small screen for a contemporary look at his intergalactic adventures.

By KAF17, Aug 05, 2008

I didn't really know anything about this new Sci-Fi Channel until they aired a trailer about it and I went looking up about it on the computer. I found out it was a newest version of story about fictional hero that been around for some years now. After I saw the first episode I became hooked to the series. I pretty much watch every episodes that aired. But I guess people didn't take to it like I did because I hear that it was canceled only after a few episodes. I hope that they do keep this series going because even though it had a few flaws, it was a good show.moreless

Better writing could make this a good show.

By kyravon, Mar 29, 2008

Granted, I've only watched the first 5 episodes, but I get the feeling this is how the entire episode is going to be.

The premise is good, but the writing and scripting is obviously sloppy.

The dialogue is painfully lame, and mostly consists of sexual innuendos between Flash & every woman he meets. I'm not saying it has to be highbrow conversation (Stargate's sarcastic & self-referential jokes work) but it's just bad, uninteresting and doesn't contribute to the show.

(I nearly stopped watching after the 1rst show where they joke about torture being sexy.)

Characters aren't being used well, his best friend who he supposedly runs a business with has only been in 2 episodes.

The fiancee is used only as a 'straight' man and made to look ridiculous.

The main characters also don't seem very smart.

It seems like nearly every episode has some gaping plot hole that ruins the show for me.

Travelling to a world where water is the most precious thing imaginable? Take a couple of water bottles! (seriously this 1 plot hold drives me insane & I spend the episode screaming at them!) When the lab of a scientist whose research you're investigating explodes and showers you with his research papers - why not grab some of them while you're leaving?

Continued plot holes like this just make it painful. I can suspend disbelief for "fantastic" elements like the rift devices or the world of Mongo - but I can't forgive the stupidity or obvious plot holes. (seriously people- H20 could save your life!!!!)

Intentional camp/cheesiness is great, but very hard -- you also have to try to make it interesting and the world you create still has to be consistent. It can't all be silly costumes and sexual inneundos.

Update: After watching the first season, it does get better.

However, I'm still amazed it took them 17 episodes to figure out they could bring in water to barter/trade with.moreless

That was a miss.

By eyhabb, Mar 18, 2008

Why cant scifi be scifi? Why does this 'modernization' have to tie in with our time. The original was superb because it was a complete fantasy world. You bought into that because everything meshed together and every thing was conceptually consistent. This adaptation is just silly. Not to mention the characters cant act. Someone walks through a rift and to an entirely different world and doesn't show a hint of awe or astonishment. And this futuristic world has holographs, holograms, flying saucers, lasers and yet when they are in our world they call a cellphone a talking box!!! C'mon, time to fire a few writers. I can't go on...this is too much. Flush this show and spend the money on something more worthy and bring back Firefly or Threshold.moreless

Flash Gordon is entertaining.

By strgte, Mar 05, 2008

Flash Gordon is entertaining. I love Ming,the benevolent father- such a nasty man, brilliant acting- great actor. Baylin, Dr Zarkov & Flash work well together as does Mings daughter Aruora.The only disappointment with this show is the character Dale - she looks too much like Flash Gordon.. a little errie considering they are ex lovers.

Dale's character should have been played by a stronger more powerful looking actress, not such a skinny and extremely fragile actress,after all the adventures in Mongo can only be convincing and exciting to the viewers if the actors are strong and fit to fight their way through Mongo.moreless

Not for anyone who enjoys good sci-fi .

By Amnesia_B, Feb 21, 2008

If you miss "Hercules the Legendary Adventures" or "The Adventures of Sinbad" from the mid 90's then this is the show for you. The only thing it's missing is Bruce Campbell. [no offense to Bruce]

The writing is standard serial schlock. Painfully predictable. The characters are two dimensional and dull. As are the episodes. So much so that you find yourself cheering for the 'bad' guy in most cases just to make it interesting. It's a pity the new Ming is so bland. They should give him a handlebar mustache to twirl while he's being "evil".

There is nothing to recommend in the latest incarnation of "Flash Gordon". Unless you're under the age of 12 or just don't care what's on the screen I'd say skip it completely .moreless

Load More Reviews