Watch the First Episode of ABC's Forever Before Its Official Debut (VIDEO)

By LizRaftery

Aug 26, 2014

At this rate, you'll be able to watch every single one of the new fall shows before their official premieres. 

If you've been playing along at home over the last couple weeks, you've already seen the pilots of Fox's coming-of age drama Red Band Society (which will only be available until 5pm Eastern today), NBC's romantic comedy A to Z, and ABC's Karen Gillan-starring Selfie. Now, ABC has posted the pilot for its freshman drama Forever online. 

UPDATE: It turns out there's a bit of a catch with Forever, in that you have to subscribe to either Hulu Plus or certain cable providers to watch it (find the full list on ABC's website), which we didn't realize when we first posted this story. Sorry about that!

Forever stars Ioan Gruffudd as immortal New York City medical examiner Dr. Henry Morgan, who frequently dies and is resurrected—naked, because why not? The series chronicles Henry's partnership with Det. Jo Martinez (Law & Order's Alana De La Garza) as he investigates deaths in order to unlock the mysteries of his immortality.

Watch the full first episode below, and tell us what you think of it in the comments!

Forever premieres Tuesday, September 23 at 10pm on ABC.

TV.com's 2014 Fall Preview: 
New Shows, Network Schedules, Trailers, and More

• Comments (23)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • LuisQuiroga Sep 20, 2014

I liked it; it had a little of edge-of-your-seat thrill to it. I like Henry's and Abe's characters. Henry's assistant not so much; it's EXACTLY the same character (maybe different name) that the actor played in Bones, and he annoyed me in that show as well. And we have a mystery villian who is also immortal, so we're being set up for the subplot for the rest of the season.
    Let's give it the 4 episode test and then go from there.

• EmmaDanks0 Sep 14, 2014

In 2008 Fox had a short run, devastatingly cancelled show called New Amsterdam starring Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as a four hundred year old immortal man working as a police detective in New York.

This simply seemed like a higher budgeted but poorer written version of that show. Both characters even gained their immortality the same way (white guy fighting racism)

He was not charming as he told the Russian musician exactly how he determined her ethnicity and employment. Any woman on any train in the world would freak the hell out and move carriages if a noticeably older man came up and started deducing her life like that, or she would assume she had a stalker and call the police.

I wish New Amsterdam hadn't been cancelled, it was far more interesting than this show.

• Hutchy_TVSeries Sep 09, 2014

A mix of Sherlock Holmes and Castle.

• Interestingtv Sep 04, 2014

.....it was ok. I give it a season.

• MiraTellia Aug 29, 2014

I only watched it because there was nothing else to watch, and was not expecting to like it, even though I've always liked Ioan ever since he played Hornblower, and love that trace of a Welsh accent he has.

It definitely has a 'seen it before' feel, especially in the deducting from observation trick, but I still liked it. Ioan is charming and nice to look at, and the tone balances the light very nicely with the dark. It's an easy watch, and I'll definitely give it the 4 episode test

• DaniellePaque Sep 02, 2014

I agree he definitely has a certain charm.

• samanthawesley108 Aug 29, 2014

I think the Abc app is showing it without provider login...not absolutely sure but I think it's "unlocked" on the app, whereas most content is behind the provider wall.

• AkiraHideyo Aug 29, 2014

I enjoyed it. Pretty good. Well, I like Judd Hirsch so it can't be that wrong. Read everywhere it's similar to New Amsterdam. Now I'm gonna find that series and watch it and see if it's true..:)

At any rate, nicely done Forever. Dr Henry's deduction on stuff is somewhat like Patrick Jane on The Mentalist, except that the latter is not a Returned being!

• AkiraHideyo Aug 31, 2014

Just watched 3 episodes of New Amsterdam. Very good indeed. Forever seems a copy to it but New Amsterdam has a way hotter looking male lead, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau! lol.

Yup...elementary/mentalist/New Amsterdam/whatever. I'm still a fan of these shows, despite the glut of em. Can't help myself. It's like the TV equivalent of potato chips

• zwixxx Aug 28, 2014

I liked it. Yes it felt like a mixture of others but came across as light-hearted, easy watching, bunkum with something dark and evil lurking away in the background. And I do like hearing a strong English accent :). Not sure yet if its rewatchability (Elementary has it as I find watching Holmes and Watson interplay with each other most fascinating) but right now Forever feels like a series I'd be there each week for.

Felt like Elementary to me too (and I adore that show for the same reason) but I like this as well for the "catch" of paranormal.
    I'm a sucker for shows like this, even if it's been done and done.

• kanniballl Aug 27, 2014

I actually enjoyed it. I went in with ZERO expectations thinking it would be lame.

The main character's narration is actually quite well done, it has its fun moments, and the pilot kicks of a story arc.

But I could see it being a niche show and gets canceled... but hopefully it lasts at least the full season.

• ZeroCals Aug 27, 2014

Hm. Not bad. It has a Castle"/whatever that show was with the Dutch guy who was immortal in NY" mash-up feeling to it.

I'd give it the 4-episode test.

• neokid0298 Aug 27, 2014

How could you forger the FOX classic, New Amsterdam, starring Jamie Lannister?

• ZeroCals Aug 27, 2014

Wait a gosh-darn minute! That was Nikolaj Coster-Waldau in New Amsterdam? Seriously? Wow. I can't believe that was him, and that I didn't remember that.

btw, I just saw the movie The Other Woman (or is it Women?) the other day, and he plays a huge douche-bag in it. It's worth a watch, imo.

• See More Comments (6)