Friday Night Videos

Show Reviews (4)

Good

For those of us without MTV and old school!

By JPPT1974, Sep 28, 2006

I love this show if you didn't have MTV as really it is videos all the way. Loved it in the early eighties and nineties as there were some big name stars hosting the show. But really didn't like it when the emphasis switched to less videos and more comedy later on during the end of it's run. Still you can't go wrong with old school 80's!

here's one i remember

By CAPNDEL, Jun 28, 2006

i grew up in a small town. the local cable provider did not offer mtv. so we watched friday night videos. i think there was another video show on tbs to, but this is the one we watched the most. the small town cable provider still does not offer mtv but that is because local churches convinced them to take it of the schedule.

If you didn’t have cable, it was Friday Night Videos all the way.

By LainiTiye, Jul 14, 2005

I loved this show when it aired during its run in the 80’s. I was one of the few 80s heads that relied on network television to get my kicks.

The name says it all. It was a full fledged hour dedicated to the top ten weekly videos and you watched it on Friday night. I anticipated this show and loved the variety between Pop, Rock and R & B (Rap hadn’t reared its head too much during this era).

Toward its demise, Friday Night Videos did undergo a few changes - new host, new layout and an entertainment segment that hovered around dry jokes and day old news.

But when you lay the cards down, for the show to survive for years being based primarily on videos – well that’s a self explanatory assumption that somebody was doing something right. It’s a classic and still an all time favorite though I’m sure with the route most videos nowadays has taken – it would be difficult for Friday Night Videos to survive on “regular” television now because their selection of “appropriate” videos would be slim and thin. Guess its good FNV ended when it did. And hey, we’ll always have Friday nights.

moreless