The One with Rachel's Other Sister

Episode Reviews (15)

Superb

Great character development for Chandler, the last episode before Ross and Rachel's relationship begins to deteriorate again, and absolutely hilarious. Also one of Aniston's best performances. My favorite episode. And it got an Emmy!

By Eric_Blob, May 16, 2008

This is truly awesome. Everybody is so funny in this episode. Rachel's self-centered sister (Christina Applegate) comes to Rachel for comfort at Thanksgiving because she boyfriend's wife came back into town! Amy gets invited to Thanksgiving at Monica's (which in Ross's words is like bringing the Indians syphillis), but she messes it up. Amy wants custody of Emmet, sorry, Emily, no, Emma, but Ross and Rachel say Emma goes to Monica and Chandler. However, Chandler discovers that Monica needs to be alive or he loses the baby, and gets upset that nobody sees him as a father figure because he's trying for a child. Monica comforts him about this on a touching scene in the hallway. Meanwhile, Joey has forgotten to go to the parade on TV, and he needs to think of a lie to excuse himself. Phoebe decides to teach him how to lie (notably, she says she can see the strings on the videos of man walking on the moon!). She jokingly plans to teach him how to steal the following week.

Monica has bought some plates, and she's very cautios about them. She wanted to save them for the Queen, but Chandler told her she should take the hint if she keeps getting cancelled on. Monica is overprotective about the plates, and it results in Chandler telling her he'll be careful for the rest of his life, until told otherwize, it results in her pinching Ross, and it results in her having to suggest to everybody to cut their food in mid-air. Phoebe later makes fun of her for this. She also doesn't let the gang use the fancy China for desert, because she believe that is parallel to blowing noses on her wedding dress!

Rachel and Amy's fight goes over the top, ending up in physical violence, and a plethora of hilarious insults! During the fight (in which Ross advises Rachel to kick and Joey advises Rachel to pull Amy's top off), one of Monica's plates break. Monica collapses and Chandler tells the girls off, and Ross realizes that maybe Chandler can be a good father. Eventually, all the chaos gets resolved, until Chandler breaks ALL the plates, and Joey lets it slip to Monica (in which he tries to cover up with his lying skills taught to him by Phoebe).

Overall, this is the best episode. Simply because it is so extremely funny. This is one of Rachel's best episodes, better than TOW Rachel Finds Out, TOW Ross Finds Out and TOW The Videotape. Some of the characters have great lines, which I won't list here because it will take so long. I definately reccomend a watch, it's fabulous. Definately deserving of an Emmy.moreless

brilliant episode!

By harryathouse, Apr 20, 2008

Rachel's sister Amy tags along for Thanksgiving at Monica's place, because her (married) boyfriend cancels their plans. While watching the parade, Joey realizes that he forgot to show up for the Days of Our Lives cast float, and he asks Phoebe how to lie to his boss so he won't get in trouble. Monica obsesses about anybody damaging her best china. Amy, who is self-absorbed and can't remember anybody's correct names, thinks that if Rachel and Ross die, she will then get custody of Emma, but Rachel and Ross tell her that Monica and Chandler are going to get Emma. Arguments ensue, and Chandler tries to prove that he would be a good parent, even if Monica weren't around.moreless

"Who has to die for me to get her?" - Joey

By FriendsSvuLost8, Feb 09, 2008

It's Thanksgiving and Rachel's sister Amy is visiting. Apperently Rachel is the mature one of the Green sisters. Joey was suppose to be on the parade this year but forgot. So Phoebe helps him with a good lie because Joey stinks at lying. Monica aka The Crazy Plate Lady is using her fancy wedding china and well is really obsessive about them. I love obsessive Monica. The catfight between Rachel and Amy was really funny. Especially when they break one of the plates and Monica faints. But Chandler stops them and shows his father skills. This was a great Thanksgiving episode and one of the best episodes of season 9.moreless

"That's okay. You're totally right. I don't know anything about disciplining a child. But it did hurt my feelings, and I want you to know that if I die... you don't get Joey."-Chandler Bing.

By efc1991, Jan 10, 2008

Amy, Rachel's spoiled, irresponsible sister, shows up for Thanksgiving. The gang argues over who gets custody of Emma if Ross and Rachel die. Great episode I love it, as usaul thanksgiving episodes of Friends are great and this is my second favourite of the series, I loved it with Monica and the plates, when one of the smashes and she collapses was great couldn't stop laughing it was one of her best moments, also when Chandler breaks all of them at the end was genius. I loved to finally see Racheals other sister and it was really fuuny when they were fighting.moreless

ABOUT THE KNOCKING ON THE TABLE.....

By princess714_509, Jan 05, 2008

ok so everytime i watch this episode i ask myself why ross and rachel knock on the table when she says "if something were to happen to ross or myself" idk y dey do that...other than that this episode cracks me up everytime...

"Crazy Plate Lady"

My favorite part is when chandler tells ross "you're totally right i dont know anything about disciplining a child. but it did hurt my feelings and i want you to know that if i die you dont et joey"

LOL

what cracks me up da most is the part where rachel says "and you wanna know why i am not giving emily to you" and then ross says "emma" and rachel says "oh who's side are you on!"

that cracks me up.moreless

great Episode

By peterfan1, Dec 02, 2007

Rachels "other" sister comes over for thanksgiving diner. She is up-herself and cant remember anyones names.

Amy: I was thinking of changing her name. I'm not a big fan of Emily.

Ross: Emma

Amy: (To Phoebe) Emma, Ross wants you.

Phoebe: Phoebe

Amy: (To Ross and Rachel) Why does she keep making that noise? This episode is really great Christina Applegate does a great job as Rachels sister. It is extremely funny her not remembering anyones names and expecting to get Emma if Rachel and Ross died. This is a really great episode and should be watched!!! Christina Applegate won an Emmy for this episode and if you watch it you will see why!!!moreless

Ive watched every episode of Friends. I think this one is the best of all. When I first watched this episode, it made me want to watch Friends everyday from that moment on.

By Janieiscool1, Jul 13, 2007

Rachel invites her sister Amy thanksgiving. Phoebe teaches Joey how to lie. Chandler worries about whether he will be a good father.

In my opinion there are many highlights of this episode. Rachel and Amy's fight is a very funny part and Monica collapsing when the plate smashes is very funny. Phoebe ranting on about how she doesnt believe that men have walked on the moon is priceless. Monica telling the others not to scracth the plates, but eat their food in the air makes me laugh just to think about. Joey fogetting to be at the parade and forgetting to take his grandmother to the aiport is hilarious. Amy forgetting Emma's name, and thinking Phoebe is Emma is also very funny.

Anybody who watches this episode, and gets all the jokes will probably understand why so many people say this is the best episode.moreless

I think this is the very best episode of Friends, but it has not gotton the top of the leaderboards simply because it is in Season 9, rather than Season 5, which I think is a real shame, especially considering it IS THE BEST episode of Friends.

By BolbCire, Jul 09, 2007

This episode is so hilariously funny. Rachel's sister, Amy (Christina Applegate) gets invited by Rachel to Monica's thanksgiving dinner, but unfortunately it gets ruined by her presence. Amy wants to know that if Ross and Rachel die she gets Emma (a.k.a. Emmet, Emily, etc.), but she it not happy when she finds out Monica and Chandler are next in line. A heated arguement arises. Meanwhile, Phoebe teaches Joey how to lie (because he needs an excuse as to why he was not at the parade on TV).

I think this episode is so funny because of how the very funny (and very numerous) running jokes get repeated throughout the episode, and they all get mixed up with each other in conversations. For this to be achieved the episode has to start off by introducing all of the episode jokes (which Friends does very well in all of its episodes), so this meant a less eventful first 5 minutes, but all the episodes (excluding the Season premieres and the two-parters) start off in a similar manner. It is also great to see an A-list celebrity playing a major role in an episode, and I really think she deserved an Emmy award for her acting in this episode.

Rachel and Amy's fight is also very funny, and a lot of character development is made as Chandler worries about being a father. The plates subplot is wonderfully acted by Courteney Cox, and I think she had the most difficult part to play in the episode, having to play worried about her plates, pleased about being next in line to raise Emma, comforting towards Chandler and distressed when the plates smash, often having to change her emotions within seconds.moreless

Thanksgiving episode #9

By super_friend21, Jul 04, 2007

Rachel's sister Amy tags along for Thanksgiving at Monica's place, because her married boyfriend cancels their plans. Monica obsesses about anybody damaging her best china. Amy, who is self-absorbed and can't remember anybody's correct names, thinks that if Rachel and Ross die, she will then get custody of Emma, but Rachel and Ross tell her that Monica and Chandler are going to get Emma. Arguments ensue, and Chandler tries to prove that he would be a good parent, even if Monica weren't around. The interactions between Rachel and Amy are priceless while an argument arises over who gets Emma if Ross and Rachel die. Monica (Crazy Plate Lady) gets obssesive over her china which leads to them being broken by Chandler. This the best Thanksgiving episodemoreless

Load More Reviews