El Rey Renews From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series for Season 2

By Kaitlin Thomas

Mar 26, 2014

In the words of TV.com's own Tim Surette, "Wowza, that was quick." After only three episodes, Robert Rodriquez's El Rey Network has renewed its first original scripted series From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series for Season 2. Based on the 1996 cult film written by Quentin Tarantino, the new series was adapted for television by Rodriquez (who also directed the film) and Carlos Coto (Nikita, 24). The second season will be slightly longer than the first, expanding from 10 episodes to the more standard (on cable, anyway) count of 13.

The early renewal is surprising, but it's likely the result of a number of factors, like the fact that From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series offers a different take on the vampire genre, which has definitely reached a saturation point with regard to focusing on paranormal romances instead of inspiring fear in viewers' hearts. From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series knows its limits and it relishes campiness. But El Rey is also a very young network, having only launched in 2013, and Rodriquez needed a series to anchor it. From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series, which came with a built-in audience in the form of fans of the original film and its subsequent straight-to-DVD sequels, makes a good argument for being that anchor. The show also has a deal with Netflix, which distributes it through a run-of-series license in Canada, Ireland, Nordics, Netherlands, the U.K., and Latin America. 

T-dusk-till-dawn-will-you-watch-season-2/

• Comments (36)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • haydenowens3 Jan 07, 2015

So wrapped for season 2 ! Awsum cast and awsum story.

• Lollipopfop Apr 22, 2014

This show is amazing. So much better then the movie. Any sane person will actually love the recasting no matter how much they liked the original cast.

• Marburg66 Apr 11, 2014

I watched ep 5 tonight & it was pretty damn fun. the 1st season is half over & we are officially at the front door of the Titty Twister (Ahh, good times. Good Times)
    Ayhoo, I'm not saying we should get weekly staff reviews or anything, but I gotta ask: Who's gotta blow who around here in order to at least mention the show the night it airs? I'm not talkin' a spotlight blurb every week...I'm simply talking about a simple listing on air night. The show could use (& deserves) every little ounce of exposure it can get

• woz22 Apr 04, 2014

I am not too sure about this series I know its unfair to compare this to the film as each of them stand up on their own, the problem I have with this show is the lead actor who plays Seth. He's a good actor but he doesn't make that part his own, I mean George Clooney made that part more charismatic and entertaining then as Seth.
    I don't expect Clooney to do this I mean its not going to happen but the problem is this actor he just doesn't convince me. Its a shame the rest of the show is great cast fantastic , storyline great and the mix with styles good. I keep watching till the end of the season to see if it picks up but if not I rather watch Supernatural.

• Lollipopfop Apr 22, 2014

Its very fair to compare them! And it compares perfectly. I love the series even more then i love the movies. Its got the same hold your breath waiting for the next thing, but its got more depth. I love the Mesoamerican mythology cleverly woven into the story. and I LOVE Carlos.

• Marburg66 Apr 02, 2014

It's really fun. Glad to hear already it's gonna keep goin' =D

• babelak Mar 29, 2014

Have watched all 3 of the episodes released so far on Netflix UK. Enjoying it a lot - loved the original film and really like the expansion of the mythology and character building they're doing. Took me a while to work out the Latino vamp is the dude from That 70's Show - it was only when he moved his head in a certain distinctive way that I recognized him!

• terminaltrip421 Mar 27, 2014

planning on watching ep3 tonight and have enjoyed the prior two a fair amount. so far I'm liking the brothers gecko and the T100o family. it certainly isn't the vampires we've come to know in that like the film and the series the vamps be evil. and there appears to be other evils as well. I'm digging it. a r-rated version would certainly be preferred but that's the extent of my complaints.

• EsmeBuffay Mar 27, 2014

I'm watching the show but it's taking time for everything to come together, so far it's drawing out the mystery stuff too much and not giving us enough answers, just alot of questions. I think it has potential to be good but the slow burn is frustrating.

• Vicky8675309 Mar 27, 2014

I'm loving this show so far! I don't remember much of the movie so it wasn't a favorite but I'm enjoying this tv series.

• akyag Mar 27, 2014

I am taking your word for it and giving it a try :P

• SamuelMartel Mar 26, 2014

Is that show any good? I haven't decided yet is I want to start watching it.

• See More Comments (16)