The Game of Thrones Season 4 Photos Are Here, Featuring New Faces, a New Daario, and More!

By Tim Surette

Jan 30, 2014

The people of Westeros may have their sights set on winter with the incessant yammering of "It's coming, it's coming!," but around here, we're all excited about spring. That's when Game of Thrones' fourth season, which premieres Sunday, April 6, returns to make our lives worth something again. We've seen the first trailer with a scene I'm all excited for, but those moving images zip around too fast. How about some nice, high-quality still photos so we can bask in all the details of Dany's elegant gowns, Jon Snow's raven-colored curls, and Joffrey's shit-eating grin? 

HBO has released the first 15 official promo images for Season 4, and it includes the usual mix of old friends and new faces. Dive into the gallery below and have a look. 

Game of Thrones Season 4 premieres Sunday, April 6 at 9pm on HBO.

• Comments (41)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • dex073 Feb 01, 2014

I wish they'd show us some Brienne photos, i really like a story in book 4

• ionee24 Feb 03, 2014

To be honest, makes me scared about how much they have changed (the stories of both Jaqen H'ghar and Robb's wife changed in very significant ways)

• osdawaya16 Jan 31, 2014

I think I'm going to like the new Daario (who I love from the books regardless of whether he's actually lovable or not - the attitude! the charisma! the chauvinistic personality! he's one of my favorites in Dany's stories). And Jaime's haircut, while a bit shocking at first, is actually rather lovely and this may just be because I really like Nikolaj.

• ionee24 Jan 31, 2014

I like Jaime's haircut just because it makes him look like Joffrey. (Great job there, show!)

• DrXabregas Jan 31, 2014

i cant wait

• tnetennba Jan 31, 2014

If anyone thinks the recasting of Daario Naharis is weird, consider that they're also recasting Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane (The Hound's brother) a second time. In season 1, The Mountain was played by Conan Stevens, this guy:

Is that an awesome picture or what?

The hound only had a small part to play in the season 1. Ser Loras knocked him off his horse in the tournament, and he didn't take it very well. He cut the head off his horse, and then attacked Ser Loras.

The Hound stepped in and saved Ser Loras, because he doesn't like his brother much.

Then Conan Stevens was replaced by Ian Whyte:

We only got a couple of brief glimpses of The Mountain in season 2. He was the one selecting people to be tortured to death at Harrenhall, and he was in a meeting with Tywin Lannister:

Ian Whyte is slightly taller than Conan Stevens, but still seems like a worse choice to me. More importantly, the change was pretty confusing to us non-readers. I don't think I even understood that the guy selecting people to be tortured was the guy from the tournament, or that he was The Hound's brother. I'm not sure I even remembered the scene from the tournament. I recently finished rewatching seasons 1-3, so these things are clear to me now, but they weren't back then.

I don't think The Mountain had any scenes in season 3.

In season 4, The Mountain will be played by Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, this guy:

He's certainly big enough, and with a full beard, he looks somewhat similar to Conan Stevens.

But he's only 25, and he's supposed to be the older brother of The Hound, played by 44-year-old Rory McCann.

• JonStryker Jan 31, 2014

Conan Stevens basically ended he career due to injury. And as we can't have him anymore I really like having that Viking dude instead of Ian Whyte.

• tnetennba Jan 31, 2014

I googled and didn't find anything that suggests that his acting career has ended because of an injury. His wrestling career on the other hand... but that was back in 2000.

When he was replaced by Ian Whyte for season 2, the official story was "scheduling conflicts" (isn't it always?), but apparently that wasn't true. Here's a quote from his website:

I was looking forward to being able to reprise the role for season 02, but it seems like HBO decided to go in a different direction for the 2nd season and I will not be playing Ser Gregor this time around which is a pity. Of course, if I were asked to appear in season 03 I would be very excited to do so.

He was never asked to return for season 4. Here's another quote, this one from an interview:

I’m not sure where Game of Thrones production are at the moment but I am pretty sure if there had been a plan of that sort that I would have been informed quite some time ago, so the answer would be, that barring some unforeseen occurrence, I won’t be back for Season 04.

Sources:

http://www.conanstevens.com/acting-movies-tv-film/tall-actor-blog/game-of-thrones-season-02.html

http://hbowatch.com/a-conversation-with-conan-stevens/

• MightyMad Jan 31, 2014

Continuous recasting of what is essentially a secondary character doesn't really make sense. It cannot possibly be the fault of the actors themselves, given the very small screen time they got.

Seriously, I would prefer if they get Stevens back, but, if we get stuck with Björnsson... can he please get kill off before the end of season 4?

• MintberryCrunch Jan 31, 2014

Sorry to be that book guy but Oberyn Matell doesn't look anything like I imagined him, which was more of a leaner smaller Kahl Drogo from season 1 of the show.

Anyway my image of him will undoubtedly be rewritten by the show and by the summer I won't care in the least. He still looks like he conveys the correct muted, subtle and yet firey confidence.

Otherwise these photos just continue to build my anticipation. Book 3 part 1 made season 3, which was fantastic, but book 3 part 2 which has been made into season 4 is so full of awesome moments that the red wedding actually got moved from book 3 part 2.

All you non-readers are in for some amazing TV moments, and the continuation of the series' famous plot twists.

• ionee24 Jan 31, 2014

I've always pictured The Red Viper as a sexy and deadly bisexual warrior, as long as they keep him the Westeros version of Fast and Furious, I'm game.

• bluefish Jan 31, 2014

I agree with you when I read the casting news for Oberyn I was disappointed. I had hoped they would use hair and makeup to make him look better but they didn't.

Oberyn is supposed to have a sharp nose, olive skin, black hair with silver streaks and a widow's peak. He's supposed to be a strong smart lust driven man who is wild. I don't see any of the physical attributes in the picture so hopefully they nail the personality.

• ElRob Jan 31, 2014

How come they recast Daario? Seems like a pretty big change, I didn't think the first guy was doing that bad a job, he tosses severed heads around like a boss.

• bluefish Jan 31, 2014

I don't know why he was recast but Daario becomes a main character so maybe there thought the actor they had wasn't strong enough or commit to game of thrones full time.

I don't mind Daario's recast. The mountain was also recast for the third time. The recast that bothers me is Tommen Bartheon who is recast with the actor who played one of the lannister boys that were killed in the cell. In the books Tommen is supposed to be a young cubby innocent boy and the actor they recast him with is at least 13 and looks strong and capable, like a nice verison of joffery. I liked the actor they had in the first 3 seasons.

• EChid Jan 31, 2014

The "didn't have time" excuse would make sense if this show wasn't as outrageously popular as it is. If you're a nobody, you MAKE the time to be on this show. There must be sommit else going on...

• iheartfrosty Jan 31, 2014

No pics of my boo, Gendry? *flops backwards on bed and sighs heavily*

• current Jan 31, 2014

Will be a shame if he's gone. The guy was great in Skins too.

• ionee24 Feb 03, 2014

I actually watched Skins because of him (Still looking for other shows the rest of the cast has been too).

• bluefish Jan 31, 2014

I might be wrong but going by the books Gendry's story is done we won't be seeing him again.

• ionee24 Jan 31, 2014

Then again, going by the book Gendry started his sibling's stories since last season and those are far from over.

• bluefish Jan 31, 2014

Mai Stone will probably have her story told like it happens in the book. Gendry was playing the part of Edric Storm which has played out.

• ionee24 Feb 02, 2014

I doubt Maya Stone story will even happen this season, but *SPOILER ALERT* there's a couple of twins in King's Landing that were killed where I hope Gendry would survive before his actual story resumes like in the 4th book *SPOILER ALERT*

• bluefish Jan 31, 2014

I the book Edric storm gets taken away by the men working with Davos in a ship and we never see him again. As of book 5 finale. Gendry's story followed the same path it was just speed up ad skip the part with him leaving at Dragonstone.

• ionee24 Jan 31, 2014

Edric wasn't Gendry's only sibling in the books: there are at least two sisters and a couple of twins whose stories we haven't visited yet.

• iheartfrosty Jan 31, 2014

I don't know if this means anything (I haven't read the books so shhh) but he's listed on the Wiki page for season four.

• ionee24 Jan 31, 2014

I'm more concerned about the lack of pictures of Brienne, Bran and Bronn

(and I've just noticed they all start with "B")

• Canucklehead_31 Jan 31, 2014

Bran was definitely in the teaser video. No sign of Brienne and Bronn, though Brienne's story is not finished.

• ionee24 Jan 31, 2014

Bronn's shouldn't be finished either, yet the lack of pictutes is somewhat alarming.

• apostrofa Jan 30, 2014

Omg Omg Omg. Please knock me out and wake me on April the 6th! Please?

• emmyfg Jan 30, 2014

How come none of the Lannisters (except Cersai) are blonde anymore...?

• ionee24 Jan 31, 2014

Spouses tend to look alike after awhile? Tyrion's hair resembles Sansa's by the minute.

• bluefish Jan 31, 2014

I should also add that jamie's short hair signifies the changes/ growth his character has gone through and continues to go through.

• bluefish Jan 31, 2014

They are all supposed to be blond but the male lannister have natural hair. Jamie cuts his hair which puts it closer to the roots so it is darker. Cersai wears a wig so her hair is always the same and perfectly blond. Lena Hedley has really dark brown/black hair natural hence the wig.

• MintberryCrunch Jan 31, 2014

It seems to be a correlation, in Westeros blondeness is a barometer of how evil you truly are.

Just look how Blonde Joffrey is.

• JonStryker Jan 31, 2014

... golden head ...

• ionee24 Feb 03, 2014

The seed is strong with this one (shame it's not the Baratheon seed we're talking about).