Game of Thrones: Crow Your Heart Out Over the Season 4 Poster

By Tim Surette

Feb 27, 2014

That bare spot on your digital wall is really irking me, so why not patch it over with this new Game of Thrones Season 4 poster that HBO just released today?

That's the three-eyed raven disintegrating before our eyes, and it appears that the bird, like the Iron Throne itself, is made out of swords. Thrones! Ravens! What's next? Will everyone's sword soon be made out of tinier swords? And Season 4's motto is the cheery "All Men Must Die," which you may know as the Common translation of the phrase "Valar morghulis" that's plastered on T-shirts and bumper stickers all over Essos. It's their "YOLO," basically. Also, "GOT"? I think that's the first I've seen HBO promote the title as an acronym, and I'm not sure I like it. 

Now that we're four official posters deep, which one has been your favorite? To recap, here are the first three, from left to right:

Personally, I'm a sucker for the original Season 1 design and its powerful image of Ned Stark hovering over the oh-so-true slogan of "You Win or You Die." Where do you stand?

Season 4 of Game of Thrones premieres Sunday, April 6 at 9pm on HBO.

• Comments (40)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • EsmeBuffay Feb 28, 2014

My issue with the GoT posters is that they can never cover the whole show, even the hand gripping the crown doesn't have anything to do with Jon's story, he's not involved with the war of five kings, Dany's trying to become a queen so it works for her and everyone else of course it works for them. Maybe just a sword would convey it best, for season six they should have a snowy landscape with a sword stuck in the ground and maybe a severed hand gripping the sword.

• Big_Pecks Feb 28, 2014

This poster is awesome. A cool design that has multiple relations to the multiple plots. Way better than last season's 10 second photoshop job.

• ionee24 Feb 28, 2014

I love Drogon's shadow as much as the next gal (yes, we love creatures other than unicorns!), but I've got to admit the three eyed raven swods is more comprehensive in the long run.

• sylaine Feb 28, 2014

I like the new poster. I would've preferred it if they had used "Valar Morghulis" instead of its translation, but I do understand that they have to make it appeal to a broad audience and casual viewers might not even remeber what that means. Still like the original Season 1 poster the most. Season 3 is just too minimalist for a show like GoT. If I had to rank them:

1. S01
    2. S04
    3. S02
    4. S03

• ionee24 Feb 27, 2014

Storm of Crows...err the Crow of Swords.

• tobsh Feb 28, 2014

A Feast For Swords!

• ionee24 Feb 28, 2014

I love how it manages to hint the books yet stay true to the viewers only audience!

• Brady120 Feb 27, 2014

minimalist dragon shadow is so just awesome. I vote that one. :)

• tusharkishore Feb 27, 2014

As per me poster of Season 1 & Season 4 & Season 2 & Season 3

• layton2012 Feb 27, 2014

I like the new poster, and I'll get over the acronym, however I hope they add the entire title when they release it on blu-ray. The season 2 poster remains my favorite even if as of right now it is my least favorite season. Still super excited for season 4.

• MikeClark Feb 27, 2014

artistically exellent.... and i upvoted it as my fav... but still man.... could be better. yeah its clever, and done well, but its also what a few dudes sitting around in middle school smoking pot came up with. game of thrones is a tad up the scale than stoned junior high kids, just a tad. its still good, just thinking that of all the fucking talented people involved im amazed it wasnt even better. if it was me, id just have a picture of myhsaa walking by naked with a dragon. done. nothing else needs to be shown or said, she fucking owns the show. or maybe go a walking dead kinda thing and have our old buddy rob starks head like a week old and kinda zombie rotted out? maybe arya just killing someone with a blank stare, or just the glass volcanic white walker killer knives lined up. i dunno. but there was a LOT of better ideas floatin.... it may be excellent but it def could have been better.

• dark7angel Feb 27, 2014

The poster looks mighty cool!!! But I agree, the GOT acronym instead of Game of Thrones wasn't the best decision...

As for the raven turning into swords, that's because this season (as well as season 3) covers (mostly) events of the third book, A Storm of Swords!

Oh and my favourite is poster number 2!

• ionee24 Feb 28, 2014

I'm just proud the show is so popular that most people would understand what GOT stands for only by looking at the poster!

Well done show!

• tusharkishore Feb 27, 2014

Well it could also be a reminder to people that forget about iron throne. Real deal is up north with the three eyed raven and white walkers

• ben45tpy Feb 27, 2014

If the swords do come from the book title then it's a bad idea. Without spoiling anything I can say that ASoS is the worst-titled book in the series (even though it's also the best book).

• Eric10301 Feb 27, 2014

Ugh at using GOT instead of Game of Thrones. They should have just thrown up a hashtag while they were at it.

• See More Comments (6)