News Briefs: Everyone Watched Game of Thrones' Season 4 Premiere

By Tim Surette

Apr 08, 2014

WINTER IS STILL COMING, BUT HUGE RATINGS ARE ALREADY HERE

... OMG everyone loves Game of Thrones and they should! Season 4 debuted last night and I reviewed it here with all types of complimentary verbiage, but the news today is that the first hour of Season 4 was the most-watched episode of an HBO program since the 2007 series finale of The Sopranos (11.9 million viewers tuned in for that cut to black). About 6.6 million viewers watched "Two Swords," a 50-percent increase over the numbers for last year's Season 3 premiere, making it the biggest audience for Game of Thrones to date. Leading out of Game of Thrones was the series premiere of Mike Judge's new comedy Silicon Valley, which drew an audience of almost 2 million. If you didn't catch it last night, you should drop what you're doing (unless you're holding a baby) and watch it right now because it's awesome and it's free on YouTube. Finally, Veep's Season 3 premiere, which Cory reviewed, drew 955,000 viewers after Silicon Valley. [Variety

BUSINESS TIME

... Netflix has announced the Season 2 premiere date for Derek, Ricky Gervais's comedy about a man who works in a retirement home. The six-episode second season will begin streaming on Netflix as soon as the calendar hits Friday, May 30. In the U.K., the series will air on Channel 4 starting Wednesday, April 23. [Netflix via press release]

... Fox has ordered the game show Boom! (don't forget the tone-setting exclamation mark!) to series, I'm guessing to fill out its summer of "fun." The show is based on an Israeli format, as so many new shows are these days, and features contestants "defusing" "bombs" by partaking in trivia. Multiple-choice answers will be tied to various wires coming out of bombs, and players will cut the wire that corresponds to what they think is the correct answer. Cut the correct wire and the cash prize increases and it's on to the next bomb, cut the wrong wire and everyone dies. Or maybe the contestant just loses his chance at the pot, Fox is still tinkering with the show. [Fox via press release]

... Barbara Walters will make her final scheduled television appearance on Friday, May 16, when she says goodbye to her job as co-host of ABC's The View. To celebrate the television personality, The View will honor Walters during her final week and ABC will air a two-hour special recounting Walters' career from 9pm to 11pm on May 16. [ABC via press release]

... Only celebrities can save us from baking to death on our increasingly warming rock! Showtime's documentary series The Years of Living Dangerously follows stars as they hear first-person accounts of the alleged damage the Earth is experiencing due to climate change (if the Earth really is getting warmer, then why are my feet so cold, EH SCIENTISTS?). And now you can watch the first episode for free on YouTube, Showtime On Demand, and Showtime Anytime (the network's version of HBO GO). [Showtime via press release]

... Food Network has renewed Beat Bobby Flay for a 26-episode second season. Unfortunately, the title is slightly deceiving and it's actually a cooking show. [Variety]

... The Americans is well known for its authentic, kick-ass '80s soundtrack, but the FX series is ready to try something a little more contemporary. Sort of. The Who's Pete Townshend has composed an original song called "It Must Be Done" for the April 30 episode of the spy drama. [FX via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Samuel L. Jackson will be back on Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. before the end of this season. Just barely before the end of the season! Jackson, who played S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Nick Fury in the Marvel movies, will reprise his role in the season finale. Details of his appearance aren't available, because Marvel kills secret-spillers. [Vulture]

... The pink Power Ranger is getting involved in some Covert Affairs. Amy Jo Johnson (Flashpoint) will join USA's Covert Affairs on a recurring basis for the spy drama's fifth season, which will air this summer. Johnson will play Hayley, an investigator with the National Counter Terrorism Center who gets tangled up with Auggie. [USA via press release]   

• Comments (54)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • ralphtufano7 Apr 09, 2014

To each his own I feel, but I feel like anyone who has a decent attention span would like game of thrones. You really just gotta give the first season a chance and you'll fall in love with the characters. My parents were resistant for the longest time but I eventually got them hooked.

• Writerpatrick Apr 09, 2014

As much as I like Coulson, had Agents of SHIELD had Jackson as Fury on it the show would have done much better in the ratings. Or at least been much more fun to watch.

• kanniballl Apr 09, 2014

That's wishful thinking... Jackson is still an A-lister and they rarely settle down on TV unless their star is dwindling or they want to semi-retire. Guest star, sure. Recurring role, sure. But unless they're done with the active film life it's very rare to settle down as a main character.

Even if the studio tried to get him, his price would probably be prohibitively high.

Coulson got a huge following during his increasing role in the films... fans loved him.

This comment has been removed.

This comment has been removed.

• TatraFan Apr 08, 2014

I hate to break it to you, but I didn't watch Game Thrones' Premiere. So, your premise that "everyone" watched this series is WRONG! Why not just say RECORD AUDIENCE NUMBERS OR HIGHEST VIEWERSHIP YET???? Why do you miss use words like: legendary and everyone to describe rating inaccurately.

• HanhKim Apr 09, 2014

Good god -- what is your problem? He's just making a point in saying that A WHOLE LOT of people watched it and he's exaggerating for effect. CLEARLY you're not the only one who didn't watch it. There are more than 7 billion people in this world.

• TatraFan Apr 09, 2014

About 6.8 billion by most estimates. I like exactness. That's my Problem. I live in a world of inexactness. Language is already ambiguous enough without excessive miss usages of words. People say it has to do with my OCD.

• zulu369 Apr 09, 2014

It's not misusing words, it's called hyperbole.

• TatraFan Apr 09, 2014

It could be hyperbole-- I took it as logical statement of facts. Example: Every X is a Y. Something that we could evaluate the truth value of.

• MarlboroMagpi Apr 08, 2014

Is Derek any good ? I liked Ricky Gervais but I have not watched season one before.

• FamilyDutyHonor Apr 08, 2014

Wow renewed for 2seasons?! HBO never does that no on ever does that good ishh GoT I'll take as much as they're willing to give!

• lottadi Apr 08, 2014

Nah, I didn't watch GoT.

• dark7angel Apr 08, 2014

And in a completely unexpected turn of events, HBO has renewed Game of Thrones for two more seasons! Source: IMDB News

• Writerpatrick Apr 09, 2014

As long as they have the material to work with, I expect they'll keep the show going. If there's another four books and each one is split into two seasons, the show could go another 8 years. The problem will be with keeping the actor around at an affordable rate when their contracts coming due.

• iy83 Apr 08, 2014

I have to say that for some reason I really struggle with GoT. it has everything that I like about great TV, plot, acting, production but, I just can't get into it. it may be that I have the same problem with the books in that I get part way through and then lose interest - I have to say that even though I struggle Keep On Watching Everyone and HBO keep on showing it as the more SciFi and Fantasy on TV the better - Anyone got an idea why I can't get into GoT ? Beats me

• lottadi Apr 08, 2014

I lasted the first six episodes of season 1 but it was just too boring.

• osdawaya16 Apr 08, 2014

I tried to watch it but HBO Go died so I was really disappointed. Watched as soon as I could Monday morning and LOVED it!

• wudntulik2know Apr 08, 2014

Everyone?

I've never missed it. I've never seen it and I never miss it.

Barbara Walters will make her final scheduled television appearance

Final? Sadly, no. We'll be seeing the plasticized face of The Ancient Mariner on multiple other shows (she DOES have to pay for future plastic surgery, you understand) for years and years and years and years to come. How old was Methuselah when he died? Wawa will beat him.

• See More Comments (7)