Episode Reviews (18)

Great

By thefanof, Apr 05, 2014

A strong ending to a strong season of Game of Thrones. From the great speech, to the stunning justice given out by Mother of Dragons, this served us nicely, while leaving us counting the days until the show's triumphant return.

By vaffancina, Mar 24, 2014

It's very rare that you can call a series "epic" anymore, but it fits here. So would "dense," "smart," "addictive" and And the best of Game of Thrones could be ahead of it, which is inspiring and impressive.

Spoiler-filled kudos to this season's best episode.

By nananabatman, Aug 31, 2013

In season two's last episode, King's Landing gets a thorough update that includes a new Hand of the King, a new Queen for Joffrey, and a new alliance for Sansa. On much bigger scale, however, are Daenerys' dragons making for fiery tumult in the city of Qarth, Samwell Tarly encountering well-disposed white walkers on his little nature hike, and just by the way, Winterfell burning down. Now that explains the additional ten minutes for "Valar Morghulis".

Things are quickly back to normal for most of King's Landing's residents and Joffrey is all love, peace and harmony when naming his gramps Tywin the new Hand of the King who is as cool about that as his horse is about defecating right in the Red Keep. Right afterwards, Ser Loras Tyrell had the impudence to propose his ambitious sister Margaery to the King and that unpredictable tike just dropped Sansa and decided to wed Renly's widow. You know, that reckless "whatever" attitude young people have nowadays. Sansa, apparently not that overwhelmed by The Hound's offer to take her back to Winterfell in "Blackwater", now has the next guy volunteering for a ride to her home Petyr Baelish, new Lord of Harrenhal (oh right, Joffrey disposed that as well). I'm not entirely sure how the girl is going to decide since Littlefinger does seem a bit creepy when he's subliminally incorporating his lusting for her mother every time he talks to Sansa.

In less splendid chambers, Tyrion wakes up with nah, you didn't expect that Grand Maester Pycelle standing in front of his bed. That mendacious old fellow whose talking pace is about one word every five seconds is feeling really great when fooling Tyrion in the same way Tyrion fooled him earlier this season. Varys and Shae too get to spend time with the scarred imp, who is understandably not too happy about his current situation. I'm still not sure if I should buy the emotions between Peter Dinklage and Sibel Kekilli though, that just doesn't really seem genuine to me.

In entirely unrelated business, the episode's gibberish title is thankfully defined it's a phrase that the faceless joker Jaqen H'ghar made up just for kicks so Arya could find him. I've loved every single interaction between Maisie Williams and Tom Wlaschiha and their farewell in this episode (or is it?) is outstanding. That's not applicable for Jaqen's new face, however. Couldn't that guy find anything more attractive in Harrenhal's second-face-shop? It was definitely a great effect, though.

Stannis Baratheon hasn't finished cursing everything there is since his last scene in "Blackwater" and now sees the Red Priestess Melisandre as the culprit. The two share not only some interesting dialog but also fully clothed S&M fun on the most dangerous level. Once that's done, Stannis finds new inspiration in the flames and it seems as if the grouchy claimant to the throne isn't done with fighting yet.

Now to the absolutely stunning stuff "Valar Morghulis" had in store: at first there's little Theon getting angry about his unwinnable position, but then he regains his self-confidence in a war speech that I actually found not bad, only to be betrayed by his own men. Well, that really wasn't the best season for Theon. Same goes for Bran and Rickon who relinquish their hideout, only to discover that their actual home is not really there anymore. So are the Greyjoy troops, miraculously gone with the wind, and Maester Luwin, suffering from a fatal wound in the Godswood. And even though he was never a very big character, Luwin's passing is extraordinarily touching and I feel that I'll miss his wise monologues in future seasons.

The best parts are saved up for the final quarter of an hour, namely the Daenerys and Jon Snow storylines. Say what you will about their scenes in season two so far (I personally reckon them to be outstanding), but how everything turns out for them in this episode is undeniably perfect. Daenerys gets more screen time than ever as she is put into a dream-like state in Pyat Pree's House of the Undying and enters three jaw-dropping venues. As Jason Momoa returns with their son, a new apex is reached in terms of how awesome a scene can be while still having subtitles, and her reconnoitering a snowy version of the Throne Room had visuals too amazing to describe in words. But no, best part of the episode is still not reached and the Khaleesi is back to the real world and meets the aforementioned scary warlock who is, to his detriment, unaware of the fact that dragons can spit fire and dies one off the greatest deaths in the series. You go, Daenerys' dragons! Not enough of them still, and after the bogus King of Qarth whose name is clearly too long to write out gets locked up for death in his own, sadly empty, treasury together with Doreah (her dishonesty is only a surprise if you haven't watched the Blu-Ray Easter Eggs), the Mother of Dragons walks off with her three children (her words, not mine) on her shoulders, which is almost too cool to watch, seriously.

But no, the episode's apex is still not reached and it also isn't Jon Snow killing Qhorin Halfhand (say wat) in the show's most touching, yet also most flawless swordfight. The first view of Mance Rayder's abode comes quite close to the top on my "The 50 best things in Valar Morghulis" list, but it really is the final shot that makes "Valar Morghulis" the second best Game of Thrones episode until that point (I ultimately prefer "Winter Is Coming" even though not a single person on Earth agrees with me). The White Walkers approaching the Fist of the First Men is mind-blowingly good and one of the best zombie scenes in TV and also movie history. Left-alone Sam (he is quite a klutz, admittedly) seeing all of this in indescribable awe enhances the intensity additionally and then he sees him: the White Walker on a dead horse (a White Warmblood, right?), which is the shot that spread all over the internet. Understandably, considering it's just freaking awesome. So is most of the rest of this episode. It's not perfect, but it's damn close to it and it did a fantastic job in making me excited for season number three.moreless

ending was epic

By ManpreettSing, Jan 16, 2013

ending was epic

THE DEFINITION OF UNEXPECTED

By DespinaPitaro, Oct 03, 2012

WHITE WALKERS AT LAST................

Oh Death...

By ionee24, Jun 22, 2012

...won't you spare Winterfall another year. But what is this, that Sam can see with ice cold hands taking hold of him. When summer is gone and winter takes hold, who will have mercy on Daenery's soul.

Oh, Valar morghulis, death is thy name. It doesn't respect anyone, it doesn't even respect horses. Death can be as cold as the white walkers, it could be as merciful as maester Luwin's, it could even be a gift - like Jaqen would put it - a gift Osha has learnt to give, a gift Jaqen taught Arya to wish, a wish Jon offers to the Half Hand, a gift as cruel as Theon & Joffrey can be.

For the Undying, Death is nothing but the first step into another journey, as Khal Drogo tries to explain Daenery holding their son in his arms. A journey some must make together, a journey sometimes we must make alone. Until the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, Daenerys, mother of Dragons, sets on a journey of her own, one that may take a long, long while to reunite her with her sun and stars. For there's only one thing we say to death on this show and that is: "Not Today".moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, Jun 11, 2012

Valar Morghulis was a superb season two finale of Game of Thrones though I feel some parts could have been better. I really enjoyed watching because the episode covered the story lines of almost all the characters in some way. Certain scenes definitely made me feel and there were some great character moments through out. I loved how Jaime and Brienne interacted and she showed him just how bad a$$ she can be! Arya received an interesting offer from

Jaqen H'ghar. Jon Snow fights for his life and prepares to meet the King beyond the wall, and those scenes were great. Rob makes some hasty decisions not knowing his home has been burnt to a crisp while Bran and his brother suffer another loss. Tyrion had a great scene as Lord Varys bids him farewell and give him some bad news. Shea really made the day better and I was tingling with emotion when she declared herself to him. Stannis confronts Melisandre and they have rekindled their connection after looking into the flames. The best parts for me, as always, were the scenes with Daeneryus. It was awesome how she entered the tower by herself and went through the enchantments laid out by the Warlocks of the House of Undying. There was a ton of symbology and magic. I loved how confident she is and when she finally found her Dragons it was the best thing ever! I can't go on enough about how awesome it was when she talked with them and they planned their escape together. She also reestablished fear for those who would betray or use her. Sam gets left behind and witnesses the White Walkers and their undead army marching towards the wall. It was so scary when it looked at him, but decided he wasn't a threat and kept moving. It's scream was eerie and makes me want more. This episode really covered whats happening in the world. I loved how it all tied together as well. The small details really made this episode fantastic! I look forward to the next season!!!!!!!!! I can't get enough!moreless

Meh..

By Shane747, Jun 08, 2012

This is the first episode I have reviewed after reading the books. And tbh, while the show usually is just as good, if not better, as the source material, this episode really falls hard. Several great moments from the books are just not here, or rushed:

1. Theon's loss of Winterfell (was very clumsy)

2. Winterfell Burning (who did it? why didn't Luwin explain? Why skip Bran's line at the end?)

3. House of Undying (Warlocks intentions were unclear. Zaro's vault was obvious.)

4. Jon's storyline. (they RUINED the Qhorin storyline. And besides, new viewers had no clue what was happening.

As always, there were many good moments (Tyrion was brilliant, as usual) but overall it wasn't a great episode.moreless

10 episodes simply isn't enough.

By MovieMark, Jun 05, 2012

Heh, do you remember when baby Dragons were our biggest WTF moment on this show? Or that one time when a red-head gave birth to a shadow demon thingy? I really shouldn't be shocked at this stage in the game, however, having not read the books, when a weird-ass snow creature that looks like Gandalf on his worst day, pretty much ever, leads a horde of zombies to battle, it sort of it gives moment for pause.

I mean, considering how swiftly characters move around on this show, the white walkers should be at King's Landing before you can spit. And given that this show looks absolutely stunning at any given moment, I'm all kinds of super excited for season three. I'm not sure how these undead, abominable snowmen will wager against Dany and her super cute, but totally willing to burn you alive, (sort of) offspring, but that fact that it's a likely showdown is just all kinds of geeky fun.

Outside of all of the crazy, we still had - NO, WAIT! And then there was what's-his-face! Who could change his facial form. I mean, what? And he has a magical coin! I can sort of see why season 1 was so tame, until the very last episode. Cos if they had waved magical coins, fire gods and frost giants at casual, non-genre folk, I doubt they'd have nabbed as many viewers.

But we're literally in it too deep now. So they could throw leprechauns and sock monsters our way all they want. (Actually, no leprechauns.)

As for the rest of the episode, it was packed with events that will make all of the human drama just as compelling as the supernatural stuff next year. But, then again, who am I kidding? Cos them dragons be badass.

Although, I have to admit, that there weren't as many emotional hooks for a finale. (Or maybe I'm just cold-hearted.) Tyrion's teary back and forth with his misses was touching, and I absolutely LOVED seeing Drogo again (and that stunning image of Dany walking through a decimated King's Landing), and I felt pretty terrible for Sansa's new role next season, but this finale lacked a certain emotional edge. But then maybe I'm full of shit? Maester Luwin bit the dust, taking a spear to the gut (suck it, Oblivion!) and Brienne's scene s were just all kinds of awesome. And the very hint of Arya becoming even more of a badass is just too good.

I think I'm just a little fuzzy on the details of this episode cosI just saw frosty the effin' snowman ride a zombie-horse like nobodies business.

Until next season!moreless