Game Over

Show Reviews (5)

Good
7.3

A show that wasn't even given a chance.

By Serious, Mar 01, 2008

The concept was unique. A family that lives in the world of video games. The mother was a lara croft type and the father was a driver from any racing game. And their two children Billy and Alice. I felt with just a bit of retooling this show could have been gold. First off it needed what made the simpsons famous. Guest stars but instead of real famous people it should have been video game personalities like Sonic,Mario,and Lara Croft. The world of video games wasn't explored enough. Platforms, First Person shooter and role playing games. This is a world where nuclear war can be declared and the world will reset itself once the game is done. Two parents trying to raise their children in such a world would be a challenge and very funny. Like maybe Billy is hanging with those Rated M for mature guys. Or Alice is upset about the lack of variety for girls. Either your a squeaky clean barbie/olsen twins game or your a scantly clad gun toting killer with Size D bra. Jokes could have been made about E3 as if it were the State of the Union address. Running gags like the presidents daughter has been kidnapped again! or Mom brings home a lost little girl like Dora the explorer. However everyone thinks she's crazy cause she keeps talking to open space. "I'm making pancakes? would you like to help? .....that's great" Alice "who are you talking to!?

The video game industry is no longer considered a fad and is a billion dollar baby. So hopefully someone will revisit this concept again with a bigger budget and give it a season to find its audience. Its a shame that nowadays a show isn't given enough time to become a hit. its either succeed from the start or your canceled.moreless

Game Over shows what happens to video game charictors when you turn off the game. Featuring a game family with Dad: failed Nascar driver, Mom: Lora Croft ripoff, Brother: white gangsta wannabe Sister: Rebel Pet: looks like a monster from final fantasy

By TalesofZ, Jul 25, 2005

Game Over had wackey charictors and a great concept. The fact that thier "dog" is an rpg like monster is a great idea and i sincerily miss watching it every thursday but it seems like who ever makes it stoped not the people airing it. One day it was there then the next few weeks it was movies then bam a new show.

I know people did not care about the show that much, but I like it a lot. I was surprised that my family liked it. I do not like that nobody give this show a chance. I rather that this show be given a second chance, seriously.

By MarioDS01, Jul 19, 2005

I acuatually really loved the concept about a video game family. I think it was really a great idea and I think it can still be a great idea to reair this show. I have not idea why anybody would not like this show. If anyone loves videogames or anime or something like that would enjoy this show a lot. I know I love videogames and like to see 3D animation. Please, please,please, please, please people give this show another chance. I think the show would have gotten a lot better if you gave it more time. And I want this show to be given more time then last time. As the other reviewer I liked the "last" episode the best as well. Personally I wish the boy and the Anime girl to get back toghether when this show comes back on air. I hope to hear some good and maybe thoughtful response to this idea.moreless

The series is interesting as a concept and Episode 5 was a lot of fun. But I thats about all.

By dwkish, Jul 15, 2005

Game Over

By Dean Kish

The CGI animated series “Game Over” isn’t probably a series a lot of you aren’t going to remember. The basic premise was that the folks at fledgling network UPN were trying to find a way merge the billion-dollar industry of videogames with a sitcom.

So basically you have the series central characters are a “Gran Turismo” styled race-car driver named Ripley "Rip" Smashenburn (Patrick Warburton) and his wife is a “Lara Croft: Tomb Raider” wanna-be named Raquel (Lucy Liu).

The concept of the series is that when you switch off your PlayStation or Xbox, these virtual characters return to the normal everyday lives. Rip and Raquel return to their suburban home and their two problem-ridden children.

Ok, for an idea for a series it’s sort of interesting but the problem is that the creators forgot to make the series funny, interesting and well, relatable to its key demographic.

I really do believe that the reason this series failed was when the series added the character Turbo (Artie Lange), who is a cigar-smoking and overly crude family pet. He is so unlikable and annoying its no surprise the series didn’t find an audience.

I really think the series could have had something going for it if it would have adapted some of the “Family Guy” vibe like bringing in more pop culture references and had appearances from actual videogame characters. It would have been a hoot to meet Mario or Sonic in this world.

Probably the best episode of the short-lived series is Episode 5: Alice and the C.A.T.'s, which finds Billy Smashenburn falling for a Japanese foreign-exchange student. The episode is clever, precise and how the series handles the anime exchange student is priceless. This episode clearly shows how good the show could have been if it tried.

The series is interesting as a concept, Episode 5 is a lot of fun and the new DVD set does have a lot of interesting extras but the series itself really isn’t worth remembering unless you’re a fan.moreless