Ghostwriter

Show Reviews (25)

Great

I watched literally every episode! You should too!

By T_VFan, Apr 28, 2012

Who can forget the attack of the slime monster?! This show sparked my interest as a detective when I was young. I kept a journal with this show and always formed predictions of the outcome of the case in my head while watching. The actors may be young, but they definitely play their role! Great for youth and curious kids to see!

Meddling kids who solve mysteries with the help of a meddling ghost! Priceless!

By frosty_ice, Dec 08, 2009

If there is a show which characterizes this kind of shows, than this is the one... A group of kids who investigate mysteries that happen near where they live. The group is composed by seven members (originally just four members) as well by one MIA member, one member in Australia, two members in England, and three members in 1928... A really strange but interesting group. But the main characters are Jamal Jenkins (he was the first one who Ghostwriter appeared to), Lenni Frazier, Alex and Gaby Fernand├ęz, Tina Nguyen and Rob Baker, and the story of the series revolves around them and the ways they find to stay one step ahead of everyone, all thanks to their good friend "Ghostwriter". The character of Ghostwriter is incredibly complex, and even though we never find out who he truly is, many clues are given to the main characters and to the audience as to who he really is. Some of the clues are these: He was a man when he was alive, but is now a ghost / He wanted to protect "the children" / He can only be seen by those to whom he reveals himself / He was alive before the F.B.I. was formed / He was alive before Walt Disney became famous. All these clues and many more lead us to suspect that the true identity of "Ghostwriter" is actually the ghost of Reverend Charles Dodgson, commonly known as Lewis Carroll, the author of the book Alice in Wonderland and its sequel. This mystery and others are just one of the many reasons why this series is so good.

In my own opinion, it's a crossover between Scooby-Doo and C.S.I., and a 10 is just the right number to charcterize this show.moreless

Ghostwriter was a show intended to promote literacy in children, but was really just a fun show about a group of mystery-solving kids and a ghost who helped them.

By SillySophie, Apr 04, 2009

Ghostwriter was a PBS show about a group of Brooklyn-based kids who solved neighborhood mysteries. The kids were brought together by a ghost (who looked like a tennis ball-sized glowing light) who wrote to him. They named him "Ghostwriter" because he could only communicate by reading and writing. Only his chosen kids could see him.

The kids all kept casebooks (small notebooks) and wore pens on a string around their necks to that they could write down clues to their cases at any time. The audience at home was encouraged to follow along and try to solve the cases with the Ghostwriter team. (The show was promoting literacy, but honestly as a kid I never noticed that aspect of it. It was just a cool show to watch.)

The team started out with five members: Jamal, Lenni, Tina, Alex, and Gaby. Rob was added early in the first season. The cast went through some changes, losing Rob early in season 2, gaining Hector in season 2 and Casey in season 3, and re-casting the role of Gaby in season 3.

The acting and production quality weren't great, but they weren't really issues either. If you were a fan of the show then the nostalgia factor alone should make the episodes enjoyable forever.moreless

Wow I loved this show

By kjoseph20, Jan 31, 2009

This used to be my favorite show growing up. The few channels i did have, im thankful i had pbs. I used to make sure i had this show recorded on my vhs so i could watch them just in case i wasnt home. I actually have the first two seasons on dvd now and the first parts of season 3. (i think the first to episodes of season 3). So season 1, 2, and part of 3. but anyways anyone interested ley me know. this was a childhood favorite. probably one of my most missed shows. it didnt last long enough. i woulda loved to see several more seasons. peacemoreless

TV isn't what it used to be. I wish this show could come back in reruns. So many childhood memories. I remember my sisters and I used to play Ghostwriter outside of watching the show.

By carshbrown, May 19, 2008

A really amazing show. A great way for kids to learn how to read and a write as well as see that these things can be fun. Great way for kids to kind of be involved in what is going on by keeping up with the facts and clues. One of my favorite shows to watch growing up. I like that I could be involved in solving cases just watching from my home on tv. I really do hope that they would bring this show back in reruns so that kids now could see what good kid shows looked like. Even if there was a newer show but something better than what the tried to do after the show was cancelled from PBS.moreless

I give this show a 9.9 because while it's not a perfect show, it just may be the perfect kids' show. Compelling acting, strong storylines and multiracial cast that doesn't feel forced or artificial are just a few of its virtues.

By mishalex, Feb 27, 2008

Ghostwriter was one of the best shows on television, bar none. It follows the stories of a group of kids and their invisible pal ghostwriter, a ghost with no physical presence, but with the ability to read, write and reconfigure text anywhere on the planet. The series follows these kids as they endeavor to solve mysteries and thwart crimes in their local Brooklyn neighborhood, aided in their sleuthing by their otherworldly friend.

Another great success (along with Square One) of the brilliant but under-funded Children's Television Workshop, this is one of the few shows that encourages kids to read and write, while teaching them some valuable deductive reasoning and problem solving skills, without coming across as cheesy or preachy. Looking back on the show now as an adult, I find it almost as enjoyable and entertaining as I did when I was a kid, and I can see how this show actually encouraged some positive developments in my own pursuit of creative and expository writing. How many television shows can really do that successfully and still be compelling plot-wise? Very few, I'd venture to say. Hooray for Ghostwriter and the Ghostwriter team!moreless

A great show from the past!

By Supergirl508, Sep 26, 2007

I loved this show when I was a kid. I would watch it every Sunday night before I went to bed. As a child I love the storylines and loved to tune in every week to see what was going to happen next.

They did so many things on that show and they touched so many different topics. I learned so much from watching it!

I can honestly say that this is one of the shows that I will never forget about as I grow older. I can only hope that my children will have a show like this to enjoy and learn from.moreless

i loved this show i want it back

By pa-jae, Aug 14, 2007

ghostwritters - it is awsome. it teaches you while having fun. i loved this show i want it back. i wathed it all the time it was my fav show ever.i miss it very much.- - - - - - - ---- ------- -- -- -- --- -- -- ----m m- - -- -- - - - - - - - - - - :( i miss it lol lol lol lol ah miss it alot lol lol lol lol lol lol joke i miss ghost writters it is awsome it teaches you while having fun i loved this show i want it backmoreless

ANother childhood classic!

By Front180, Jun 25, 2007

ANother childhood classic!

This is one of those shows which remind me of my childhood. I remember watching this show every week, and it was very exciting for me to watch, especially when they were solving the mysteries.

One of the few cast members I remember is Jamaal, and the last episode I remember is the one wherein they were trapped in a cave, and ghostwriter still was helping them through stones.

I hope that I could be able to watch this series again, so that I would be reminded of my childhood. lol Maybe I'll try to look for tapes or DVD's of this one sometime :Pmoreless

Load More Reviews