G.I. Joe Sigma Six

Show Reviews (22)

Good
7.3

Plot and character developemt take a back seat to mediocre effects in this pitiful remake of A Real American Hero.

By That_TV_Dude, Oct 24, 2012

Like many toy lines back in the 1980s, GI Joe gained a TV show that spawned off many other GI Joe cartoons for years to come. The first show was rather cheesy, but it was simplistic, had appeal towards children and adults, and it was an all around fun show for all. So when a remake series was being called for in the mid 200s, who do they get? Why it's none other than our "friends" at 4Kids to make it. You would think that a GI Joe cartoon wouldn't be hard to make, even by 4KIds, but they somehow manage to take a simple concept and make it into a mockery. The show is pretty much the same as every other GI Joe show, an elite army from America facing a terrorist organization aimed at ruling the world. Sounds easy right? Well you wouldn't believe how fast that idea is destroyed. The first major problem this show suffers from has to be the fact that we don't know where GI Joe is based. They were always portrayed as American heroes that defended the world. Here though, we don't know who they really are. Are they a mercenary group? Are they soldiers picked by the government to defend the world? We don't know and we never are told. Another thing you'll notice is how very few characters we know and love from the past GI Joe shows are not in this show. In fact, I think only 1/10 of the Joes are in this show. Cobra is actually pretty worse believe it or not. There's next to none of the villains like most of the Dredknocks, Tomax and Xamot, and so many more are absent. Instead of those interesting characters, we get mostly robots and machines. I feel like I'm watching a really bad remake of Transformers with how many robots we see. Speaking of the characters, they have absolutely no development at all in the show. Going back to the 1980s show, it had moments where we learned things about the characters and who they are. In this show, they are soulless and are as interesting as cardboard. The voice work is another thing worth gripping about in this show, it's terrible. The characters sound rather forced and contrived and they can also sound really annoying (especially Tunnel Rat and Road Block). The show also has a big tendency to rely on special effects that are clearly dated and are overused throughout the show. Seriously, most of the show always uses special effects to dazzle the audience out there. While some of the effects are okay, it's more or less dated and it's the only bit of effort put into the show. Humor wise, there's not anything funny at all. Most of it comes from Tunnel Rat and Road Block, who try to do some good gags. Instead, they are more annoying then funny. The storyline is also really loose in the show. There was some sort of thing with Power Stones or something, but the plot gets so convoluted and confusing, you have no idea what's really going on. The artwork itself is a mixed bag to me. While the sets are okay and all, the characters have rather bizarre designs to them, with the exception of Cobra Commander who actually does look intimidating. The animation in general is nothing special to mention about except for there seems to be some lip sync issues in the show. In the end, Sigma Six leaves so much to be desired and for a GI Joe cartoon, it fails miserably. With underdeveloped characters, a bad storyline, terrible voice work, and mediocre effects, this is one American Hero I wouldn't call on to save the world.moreless

Nice work

By UltraStrata, Jul 17, 2010

This was really one of the better shows that 4 kids made. The animation was awesome. The plotlines (though I can't really speak for much of season 2, as I didn't wwatch much of it) were exceptionally well thought out and defined. And the weapons and high-tech (pardon the pun) gear was no less than the best. I have to say that this show is perhaps the best incarnation of the G.I. Joe series that has ever been spun. I think that it is a shame that the show didn't score over 7.0 and that it should have continued past just two seasons (GREAT finale though).moreless

GI JOE VS GI JOE? Or GI JOE VS THE REST!

By bitihal, May 14, 2008

First thing I did was forget everything I knew about the original GI Joe's. Instead of comparing it to the original, I compared it to the other cartoons that are ou there now. If you do that you will see that this show is far better than a lot of rubbish that can be seen on tv nowadays. The action is great and feels "movie-like". The cliffhangers keep on coming and I'm pleasantly surprised that they did there best do produce a decent action-cartoon. It shows. I love snake eyes! They mixed in action with anime and I like the combo. The only thing that bothers me is the lines they make the Joe's say. That shows how it's definately for the little ones. Still, a decent show is all you can ask for these days, and that it certainly is.moreless

Good voice actors, nice action, but get an original plot, 4Kids.

By RaijinPaladinix, Dec 11, 2006

First, the VA's are awesome. We have a complete Yu-Gi-Oh! and TMNT 2003 lineup here, along with Veronica Taylor from Pokemon. Can the show get any better? There's plenty of action, but that's really not an achievement nowadays, many shows have action. G.I. Joe? Get with the program, the 80s are over! The Berlin Wall fell! Move on with it and end G.I. Joe!

They really don't have a planned organization of the plotline sequence either. It's just random adventures and missions where Hi-Tech blurts out info, which is good in a way, being voiced by Eric Stuart, but why? Cobra gets away every single time. Hope it gets axed and we get three episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! every Saturday.moreless

Sigma 6 is a children's show. If you are an adult who doesn't like the show and expressing how it isn't what you watched when you were a child, please read.

By beastgirlsara, Oct 25, 2006

I am a 20 year old cartoon enthusiast, and this happens to be one of my favorite children's shows. It is on 4kids.tv. That's FOR KIDS TV. If you are an adult who likes this show, good for you! If you are an adult who doesn't like this show, also good for you! But watching you guys crack down on Sigma 6 is driving me insane. This isn't the same G.I. Joe you watched, we all get that! But it's not supposed to be! This is made for a completely different generation. If you don't like it, stop watching it!moreless

One of the saddest shows I ever saw it saddened me seeing a show that could have been better had they actually considered keeping it true to the first GI Joe series instead of making something that was too animaish.

By Firefly4000, Jul 30, 2006

As stated previously Sigma Six is in fact sadly a complete waste of time not only were the characters done horribly they were completly wrecked in many different ways and prepackaged in the styling of the now dusturbingly popular Anime based shows that originate in Japan and now here.

It was and is a shame that the writers (or whomever was responsible) never took into consideration the rest of the GI Joe shows and instead decided to meddle with the personalities of people like Tunnel-Rat, StormShadow and the rest.

Not to mention there were none of the Cobra troopers that had been in both the Sunbow and the DIC series instead all we saw were very badly drawn robots who were apparently called BATs an obvious pain considering the Battle Android Troopers are portrayed in the comics and the earlier incarnations as humanoid in appearence and not something that was in fact a cross between the fighter ship things from the Gundam Anime and humanoid robots.

Lastly it was Animized and was painful to watch because gone was the emotions that we could plainly see on the faces of beloved characters and instead all we saw were the obvious anime symbols and one too many moves that seemed well as far out as any dragonball z cartoon.

I fervently wish that whomever made a travesty such as this had taken the time to do right by it and not simply pushed it onto the market where true GI Joe fans would gag horribly upon seeing it.

Alas though that was not the case.moreless

a lot of potential squandered.

By abysswanderer, May 15, 2006

G.I. Joe sigma 6 has a lot of potential. It has good core joes (asside from tunnel rat..i dont know he\'s just too off the wall.), it has good secondary joes potentially available..most notably Snake eyes\' apprenteces. The anime like style is a nice update to the old joe style.

But the voice acting although filled with talented voice actors is just really terrible in the show. I dont know if its just the way it\'s edited together or what.

The story lines are simple and well...lame. And the recent attempt to add a child into the show just to appeal to younger audiences really completely ruined the show for me.

Yes it\'s a childrens cartoon and yes it needs to appeal to a new generation, but you dont need to ruin the source material to do it. And alienating the fans...is just a bad move.

To be fair though i am predisposed against the show as the introduction of the show ,and a decision by hasbro, caused the 3.75 (i think their actually 4 in. now) toy line to be discontinued in retail outlets. They were discontinued simply for the purpose of marketing huge sigma 6 figures remeniscent of the old dolls.

Still the show is a slightly below average show except maybe to younger viewers who might appreciate the lengths it has gone to to appeal to that audience.moreless

What have they DONE to my JOES?!

By imbacon, Apr 08, 2006

When I was a kid there were a handful of awesome cartoons on the air at the same time, two of them were Transformers, and GIJOE.

This show is PROOF that Japan has no business doing anime remakes of American cartoons!!!

This has all the failings of a mediocre anime:

*No self contained stories.

*One of the main characters is a teenager.

*Too much emphasis on pretty artwork, not enough on creating a passable plot-line.

*BAD voice acting.

This is NOT GIJOE. This is filth! I spit on Japan for making this, as well as Hasbro for allowing it!

First Transformers, then He-man, and now this! They aren't gonna be happy until they destory EVERYTHING good and cherished from my childhood!moreless

Take a look at the main page.

By roguele_beau, Mar 13, 2006

This show is a really, really nice twiswt on an old classic. They have taken the tried and true G I Joe 'legend' and updated it for a whole new generation. I find myself unable to NOT watch and the voice casting makes the show even better! Especially Wayne Grayson :)

Could have been good, if only it wasn't Anime.

By Oerwinde, Feb 18, 2006

The current trend towards making everything anime is really getting on my nerves, ruining some of the classics. Transformers was another Hasbro property that suffered from Animeization. While G1 and Beast Wars were fantastic shows, anything from Robots in Disguise on was terrible. GI Joe Sigma Six is another one of those shows that the trend has affected negatively. While the show is animated superbly unlike most anime, it still suffers from terrible voice acting and horrendous lip sync due to the nature of dubbing. The character designs are also horrible anime stereotypes that got old in the 80s. At least the badly done recent CG movies were watchable due to its excellent voice cast(excluding the hispanic stereotype Shipwreck). I really hope the american animation industry learns from quality 80s updates like Masters of the Universe and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, that managed to not only successfully bring the old series into today, but they vastly improved on the old concept.moreless

Load More Reviews