G.I. Joe

Show Reviews (24)

Great

Good animation, voice acting, and interesting characters can't shield its theme

By z-agent, Nov 29, 2010

I did give this show a chance and I do see some good factors (Duke cares about his teammates and rescues civilians, Snake Eyes sacrifices himself at one point and they are protecting society). The animation is very good for a saturday morning show and the voice actors do a great job. But the reason I'm being so hard on this show is that is glorifies war (fantasy or not) and portrays it very unrealistically with no deaths, let alone serious injury. War is hardly ever justified (I'm not a pacifist) and only three wars were in our history (Revolutionary, Civil, and WWII). Unlike Star Wars where the characters picked their battles very carefully, war is the solution and an everyday thing. Although it is worth seeing for the compelling schemes and rescues, the tiresome "plots" are about good enough to fit on the back of a postcard, giving me more reason to find better things to watch/do.moreless

Force of Action

By sh811a, Oct 21, 2010

Yeah I'm a G.I. Joe fan not a big one though, I played with the toys when I was 7, even played the video games that I enjoy (the first Nintendo game and my favorate the Konami arcade game), a comic book series whcih is great due to it's developing plot and characters as well as serious nature and I still collect today, but of course I've even watch the cartoon show which was a hell of a lot of fun and I still feel is a lot of fun because it has it's own kind of charm.

It's true some today may be put off by the slight light chessy campy nature of this show partial contains. But that's because you might not be looking at it right, if you take the entertainment medium too seriously you'll be missing the point let alone the fun. To me this show is practically a simple comic book basic format of good guys vs. bad guys nothing special but it's always in the execution of the conflict that matters. The fact that it doesn't take itself seriously is a good thing. It sort of has this satirical parody senability to it from the scams to the nature of both sides. This fact alone is why you might need to be in the right mood to want to watch. But what I like is you can actually like and care about both sides of the spectrum because of the good characteriazaion in both sides. Which is why most of the characters we know are memorable today, I'll state a few of them from both sides. Flint and Lady Jaye: Both are just a great duo as well as charracters individually. Flint is almost a Snake Solid like character he is determined, tough, charasmatic, a strong leader cares for his men and women and believes in doing what's right. Lady Jaye could be the equivalant of Meryl, defently good with her trademark weapon, confident, clever, determined, a bit naive sometimes, feisty, and femine.

Shipwreck: Always reminded me of actor Bruce Cambell for some strange reason, he was arrogant, reckless, rebelious funny, wisecracking, but always had a humanity within him. As well as always on a never ending pursuit for Cover Girl's affections though fails most of the time but hey I admire him for trying.

Storm Shadow: Awsome ninja antagonist that has both awsome moves but also engimatic in motive I always like charcters shrouded in mystery.

Baroness: I had a crush on this character when I was 7 what can I say I'm attracted to bad girls. From that sleck outfit she has on glasses with it, down to her persona which is always ruthless, sharp, smart, and there is always this warmth inside her that doesn't show but it's there.

The action was always a lot of fun even though a bit inconsistent (nobody ever really gets hit from the gunfire) let alone more laws of physics broken than a Hong Kong action film. But all the same fun we got different vehcles, gun and fistfights and even the explosions to go with it. The outcome may have always been predictable but it didn't really matter, Cobra's loss was sometimes funny because it wasn't so much the fact that the Joes won because they were tough and better organized than the Cobras but it was really incompetence and egotism that was the Cobra's organizations undoing. And the episodes were well writen and creative and inspired. Some were typical action not so serious like "The Gamemaster" which was the G.I. Joe version of "The Most Dangerous Game" or "Phantom Bregade". But there were some that were serious and suprisingly had emotion like the stand alone "Computer Complecations", the two parter "There's no place like Springfield" and my favorate of the entire show "Worlds Without End".

And who can forget those PSA which I always thought were hilarious but at the same time really educatonal. It was funny mainly because of those last lines in every one of them.

Children: Now we know.

G.I. Joe character: And knowing is half the battle.

Chorus: G.I. JOE

I swear that cracks me up every time I hear it. Or even the show opening where were the most exciting I've seen in any show.

The only bad things about the show are I don't like how it handled my favorite character in the entire comic book series "Snake Eyes" he has very little screen time and he has little to do. Most of all I'm a little disappointed they didn't have the friendship romantic dynamic between both him and Scarlett and that disappoints me since their my favorite couple in the comic series, but oh well this is a flaw I can get past.

Overall the comic book series is clearly better, but

I like this show and enjoy it for what it is because it has a different kind of charm and is simply fun, Yo, Joe!moreless

Gets worse over time.

By John666666666, Aug 01, 2010

Back in 85 when I was six I loved this show. There was Snake Eyes, Duke, Flint, Cobra Commander, Scarlet, Zartan and others. The story seemed great, the action at the time was great. I loved it when I was 6, 7, and 8. Sadly that was then this is now. GI-Joe is another show that doesn't age well with time, like Voltron and the A Team. First the animation just doesn't hold up. The story is still ok, but what really gets me is the action. You have these very well trained and no one gets killed. In some shows you have over one hundred men shooting at each other and no one gets killed or really injured. Come on this is war. I was only 6, but I knew what war was seeing it on the news. My uncle fought and died in vietnam, both my grandfathers fought in World War 2. At the time I was also watching Transformers, Voltron, Robotech, and Moblie Suit Gundam. So GI Joe has no excuse.moreless

Hahahahahhahahahahahhah

By airbaboons, Jun 05, 2007

I'm just kidding, I just love those GI Joe PSA's on ebaumsworld. You know, the dubbed ones. Freakin' hilarious. Favorites are: Ice, Porkchop sandwiches, the computer guy, the "mememem" guy, motorcycle guy, indian !, what am I saying, each and every one is hilarious, but I have to say the BEST one is either Ice...or that short little one where the kid falls off the cliff!! Hahahahahahahah!! It's like 5 seconds long but the last frame is his terrified face! Hahaha! You have to go to ebaumsworld and look it up. You will be crying so hard. OH OH! Don't forget the one with the robot and the fire where the robot kills the two kids!moreless

Funny yet Mine-less

By flcl_Wizard, Apr 16, 2007

G.I. Joe Replaced Battle B-Daman (Better & funnier) on G4's Action Blast & Why did it replaced B-Daman?

I mean if you want a classic to return why not "Super Mario Brother's Super Show" or "Case Closed"

plus What happend to GOOD shows. Show like Abenobashi Shopping Arcade, Cormatie High-School, Battle B-Baman, are Colorful, all of those. Good bye G4, we hardley evre knew ya!

the best cartoon of the 80's

By mjlynn77, Feb 21, 2007

the best cartoon of the 80's . the characters are classic, the stories are pretty cool, and the action is hot.

the best cartoon of the 80's . the chthe best cartoon of the 80's . the characters are classic, the stories are pretty cool, and the action is hot. aracters are classic, the stories are pretty cool, and the action is hot.moreless

What a show

By fearchristopher, Dec 29, 2006

I think if I remember the show in the UK was called Action Force. Boy what a great show my two best shows in the 80`s was this and Transformers. Even now as a 32 year old I still watch the shows much better than the cartoons that they show today.

Trust me watch and see.

What an awesome 80s show.

By mellylynne, Dec 17, 2006

This is one of those shows. If you were around in the early eighties you most likely watched it (unless you were very very girly). I was a big tomboy when I was little and I LOVED this show. I still have a GI Joe shirt. I even have a GI Joe by my computer at work (Shipwreck). This show was awesome! A personal favorite. Yo Joe! I still know all the words to the theme song. Maybe this is why I have always found miltary men more attractive than others... LOL! And of course who could forget the ending. "Now you know and knowing is half the battle. GI JOE!"moreless

Classic Eighties Cartoon

By aesgaard41, Aug 31, 2006

This show was it when I was in high school. I lived, breathed and talked this show. I could mimmick all the voices, write my own stories with them and collect all the figures. This cartoon had it all! Great stories, wonderful humor, incredible action and all the women were complete babes, especially the Baroness with her tight black body suit (almost a precursor to Michelle Pfeiffer as the Catwoman). The heroes were a lot like Hogan's Heroes or the A-Team; almost completely infallible and always prepared. Spawning the cartoon toy merchandise phenomenon, however, it opened itself up to rip-offs, parodies and spoofs. There has been very few modern carttons to reach this height of greatness. Unfortunately, nothing this good lasts for long. GIJoe the Movie with Don Johnson and Burgess Meredith marked the end as the series was taken over by other producers and quickly ruined with stupid situations, bad stories, lousy animations and everyone's favorite characters eliminated. With that sort of damage, the legacy ended not with a bang (the movie) but with a whimper, and the kids of today were insulted with horrible cartoons with football-headed psycho babies and idiot talking sponges at the bottom of the creek or whatever.moreless

Load More Reviews