Girls

Good
7.6

Didn't love it

By kikkapi, Aug 29, 2014

I don't think this idea is anything new. Unless you make a few changes of realistic apartments/wardrobe/and looks from SATC, it's the same premise, same conversations, you have two characters who basically have the same job paths, writers and an art gallery, and a third friend who's sleeping around...

Maybe it's good for girls who weren't born when SATC was on, and they need a way to make sense of things they themselves are going through, but seriously, same show with less glitz.

Let's not pretend this is some kind of new approach to reaching 20 something girls. At least the sex scenes in SATC were easier to watch with great looking talent- guys and girls.moreless

Entertained, but unimpressed

By nanobyte55, Jul 30, 2014

Although I general enjoy watching this show, I am also kind of offended when people refer to it as an accurate depiction of the post-college world of young adult women. As a member of this demographic, I couldn't disagree more. I like to think that my peers and I are more than over-priveleged, self-absorbed whiners.

Can't stand it!!!!

By DanPeterson3043, Jul 25, 2014

For some reason my wife loves this show. She will watch the same 30 episodes over and over and cant take it any more!!! Guess it gives me more time to play Crystal Bloom though...

Well...

By srout, Oct 26, 2013

Did like season one. Started to watch season two and already bored with the party...

Best show on television...

By wudntulik2know, Aug 24, 2013

when is it coming back?

Dunham - the Girl's speaker.

By DannyToriello, Aug 07, 2013

Lena Dunham's "Girls" is a series that takes itself mildly seriously. This is a good thing because never has there been a show or movie that really spoke 'girl' to girls. It's a series that has gained mixed reviews, from both critics and viewers. A series that is sometimes daring, for going places that mean judgement. It is also a very funny and satisfying series

I've grown to Dunham; I enjoyed her little film "Tiny Furniture". Here is a full grown woman, only 24, yet she is daring and also brilliant. Like the Woody Allen for young Girls who are seeming to get things together. Not only did she create the series, she writes it, directs it, is an executive producer (along with Judd Apatow) and is the show's star.

She plays Hannah, a young girl who is trying to get her life together. Her parents cut her out their pay, she is nerve wrecked over diseases, is sometimes clueless with the things she says, jobless and finds the most trouble in a mixed relationship with another troubled person, a boy named Adam (Adam Driver).

The series centers Hannah and three unique and sexy girls; her best friend Marnie (Allison Williams), their fast talking, unusual friend Shoshanna (Zosia Mamet) and her incredibly hot British cousin Jessa (Jemima Kirke). Marnie, the more successful, seems to never know what to do with her ex-boyfriend and lover Charlie (Christopher Abbott). Jessa finds herself in a line to getting an abortion and marrying a weirdo (Chris O'Dowd). Shoshanna is a funny one, more cleaner than the rest, finds herself becoming more and more erotic when she finally commits a relationship with the always smart mouth Ray (Alex Karpovsky).

I like this series for many reasons, though I am not a girl, I feel as if this series speaks for boys as well. Consider the Adam, Ray and Charlie characters -- boys who are evoked to their own necessities. Who don't witness their flaws and who seem to find themselves in control and off through the bumps.

I like the writing, which is honestly hilarious and seems to always allow its characters to make smart mistakes. Dunham is in the same level with great comedy writers. Apatow, Allen, John Hughes. There is a small list of great writers it is rare to see that. Because these writers care and understand their characters and we do too.

Lena Dunham is great. But Adam Driver owns season two with his sometimes snarky and perverted Adam. Williams, Mamet and especially Kirke fill the screen with sexual prime and their modest self absorbed remarks.

Hannah is one of the most challenging roles in TV. There is a lot to like about her and we do understand her character, her decisions and choice of words. Dunham's "Girls" is one of the most honest and challenging shows you'll see and it has fun being too honest.moreless

love to hate, hate to love..

By NeeUyank, Apr 17, 2013

Watching this show is like watching a car accident or a natural disaster.. you really dont know why you are watching it, you hate the stuff you see but still you cannot take your eyes off of it.. I have never seen a cast, an entire cast of so many annoying characters.. in fact Elijah was the only sort-of-sweet and reliable person and him being gone is sad.. I really hope he would come back for more..

Season 2: How to love unlikable characters

By myc4971, Mar 22, 2013

Honestly, I don't know what tempt me to watch Season 2 considering that I didn't really like Season 1. In my opinion, season one was like watching a younger batch of "Sex and the City" girls except that it's not funny... it was just trying too hard... Sure there were few laughs here and there from Shoshanna but I just had no clue what these characters are trying to achieve. It's just like watching real life girls do some crazy things.

Season 2 was a complete departure from Season 1. The popular opinion is that it went from great to bad. But I would disagree. Somewhere in the season, I've grown to care about imperfect individuals... flaws and all... no matter how "crazy" and irreverent they can get. Season 2 was able to articulate what they weren't able to do in Season 1: the show is about these girls growing into their own. If Season 1 was about girls pretending to be women who were fully aware about who they want to be and fully comfortable with their own skin, season 2 revealed who they really are and stripped them "bare naked" (literally and figuratively).

I loved how each episodes exposed the vulnerabilities, insecurities, flaws and indecisiveness of Hannah, Shoshanna, Marnie and Jessa. And it's damn beautiful to watch. There were also a lot of funny, memorable and dramatic moments that explodes right in your face.

Jessa finally got a dose of reality after getting married hastily. And it hit her hard: is her lack of willingness to work on a commitment something she got from her dad? Shoshanna, after losing her virginity in Season 1, jumps in into a relationship with Ray only to discover that sometimes love is not the only thing she needs in a man. Marnie who was all high and mighty last season got the rug swept under her feet by losing her job. She also steps back into the dating world only to realize that Charlie actually provided her more than she thought. Though I'm still not convinced that she's all in with Charlie (poor guy!). And Hannah, continuing her exploration of the world believing it will make her a great writer (trying drugs, bunking with her gay ex-bf, dumping her abusive bf, sleeping with a total stranger, etc), was treated to the realities and responsibilities of adulthood. I'm not sure if it will make her wiser but one thing's for sure... it terrified her. Enough that her OCD tendencies re-surfaced. I would agree that this seemed to be all too sudden considering it wasn't even mentioned in Season 1. But it actually made a lot of sense. In season 1, even if there were moments she was being pushed to confront the responsibilities, she had Marnie and Charlie to turn to. Only Lena Dunham knows if getting back together with Adam would actually make her retreat into her shell again.

Sure, they are still unlikable and sometimes, there will be a point that you will hate them but hey, they're being human. A lot argues that Season 2 just weakened these girls from a feminist point of view by portraying them as individuals consumed about relationships. But hello? Most girls in their age are! It doesn't make you less empowered just because you're falling for guys who are complete jerks. Girls in real life really tend to fall for a-holes (especially in their teens and in their 20s. The problem arises when people look into these kind of shows to be the beacon of female empowerment and feminist agendas.

In my opinion, what makes a movie or a show great is its ability to mirror and reflect on things that are relevant today. Portraying the ideal or "what should" tends to get preach-y and boring... fast. And kudos for Girls Season 2 for being able to do just that. And bravo to Lena Dunham and Judd Appatow for cleverly crafting a season that makes you fall in love with "hard-to-love" people.

Oh yes... I love Girls!moreless

What is the point

By kezzie1985, Mar 21, 2013

For people saying they love this show and that it funny i just don't get it..... this has got to be the worse show i have ever watched there is no just to the story apart for 20 somethings sleeping about and being weird..... i cant believe show like this got renewed for season 2 when they cancelled season 2 of secret circle and season 3 o alphas these programmes were million times better than this

Episode Guide and Reviews

By JayAtkinson, Mar 13, 2013

Has given up on this show or something, because first they stopped reviewing it and now the entire episode guide and listings for season two have vanished completely???

Just curious.