Glee Will Officially Stop Singing After Season 6, Says Ryan Murphy

By Kaitlin Thomas

Oct 17, 2013

Glee isn't over until Rachel Berry sings, and she'll sing her closing number in Season 6, according to TV Line.

At a Paley Center event celebrating FX Networks on Wednesday evening, series creator Ryan Murphy confirmed the show will end with Season 6. The news isn's particularly surprising, as Fox ordered Season 5 and Season 6 simultaneously, and network president Kevin Reilly said during the TCA Summer Press Tour that he didn't expect the show to continue beyond Season 6And because the series is only a shell of what it once was. But I digress.

Murphy also said that he's had to devise a different ending for the series in the wake of Cory Monteith's death. Murphy originally intended to center the final season on Monteith's character Finn Hudson and his relationship with Lea Michele's Rachel Berry; he said he "knew what the last line was," and it was spoken by Rachel to Finn, but now that's all changed. Murphy's new idea for the series finale, which he has yet to floated by Fox executives, will now honor Finn and Cory, just like last week's tribute episode honored a character who was often the emotional center of the series.

Tweet This
Ryan Murphy confirms #Glee's end date: Season 6 will be the series' coda.

What do you think of this news? How would you like to see Glee end?

• Comments (42)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • lyrabruni Mar 26, 2014

It would end with a rock falling, and everyone dies!

• angelaadkins2012 Mar 21, 2014

I love this show. It's sad to see it go! I hope they change their minds!! This show takes me back to high school and all the good and bad memories I have of it!! It's a show I can actually watch with my son in the room! We sing and dance and just enjoy it. Fox is sure keeping some really out there shows and canceling the good ones. Yes Cory died but that's no reason to stop something. He wasn't just the show they all are. The issues with Sue need to stop but other than that keep it. I'm sure there are people out there dying to write for this show and can know how to keep it going and much stronger than it is!!!

• jeffcarson733 Mar 19, 2014

This shiw has brought hope and understanding for hundred of gleeks and fans. To cancel it would be a shame and those who are still heartbroken will be more so now that they will not hear another note or see the people and stars they love. Keep it going.

• brandonom Feb 18, 2014

They shouldn't stop the show just because Cory died. It's a good tv series and shouldn't be cancelled. They just brought new people in and it isn't fair to them. Season 4 May not have been very good, but all in all, if they keep the show up it will keep making a great impact on people. The show is pretty much your average high school, but people don't really break out into song and dance, at least not in my high school. But Glee can't end now because it isn't fair to people who are basically just getting into the show. I love the show, and if they cancel it, it will upset me greatly!!!

• bmoshier Mar 12, 2014

Hello,

& They shouldn't stop the show just because Cory died.

Ah, maybe I missed something. I thought the decision by Fox and Murphy to end Glee after 6 seasons occurred before Cory died. I say this based upon this line:

& Murphy also said that he's had to devise a different ending for the series
    & in the wake of Cory Monteith's death.

I agree with you they shouldn't stop the series and as to the article saying the series is a just a shell, ah, I disagree 100%. It has been only getting better! I'm sure, though, Murphy feels continuing the series is difficult because:

1) The basis of the story requires a frequent turn over of characters.
    2) To keep various characters active, he has to support two locations and the number would only keep growing with more and more seasons.
    3) The Sue Sylvester character really needs to move on and stop all the immature drama / conflict. She isn't as bad as Dr. Zachery Smith of Lost in Space, but she certainly needs to grow up. Yet, I suspect Murphy feels her character can't change dramatically without making the series suffer, as she brings the tension the series needs (IMHO, it should come from another source).

It is possible for a series to have characters find themselves or complete the goals set out before them and the series to keep moving on with yet a new set of challenges, characters, and goals!!! A great example is "Stargate SG-1."

At this point, though, the only solution is for a spin-off (say based upon the performing arts school, etc).

• CuteDiva Dec 08, 2013

They should make the ending show about how she has her big moment and then goes to cory or AKA finn's grave and talks about like how she did and made it that would be amazing

• brittanyfreeman562 Nov 22, 2013

good. i stopped watching it after Cory died anyway. its about time they had the scene to cancel it! goodbye!

• irehawk20 Oct 23, 2013

The 100th episode should get aired around later January 2014 before the big winter break. That episode should be a graduation of Brittany, Tina, Sugar, Artie, Blaine and Sam. We focus on that episode first as a target. I know Joe is not going anywhere at all, so right after that big winter break, we will support Joe's catching up with Marley, Kitty, Unique, Jake and Ryder. Joe would a perfect bridge for this current McKinley High School glee club by then.

• kgirl22 Jan 24, 2014

Well why they dragging it out? Haven't even done.Regionals normally they would've been at Nationals by.now or not win the last comp.they lose. BTW, I don't think Emma's on at all this year cuz she's on the Miller's! Maybe she could have Emma read too many pamphlets cuz she has a messy baby and kills herself or tries hurting baby and goes 2 jail. They need real issues! Ps tweet me @karmakelb

• irehawk20 Jan 24, 2014

Emma and Will are officially written out of this show after this upcoming graduation episode. She cannot leave yet because she already married Will and Will cannot leave yet, so please hand on! But right now, it has been revealed that these are the last graduates of McKinley High before there will be no more scenes of Lima: Brittany, Tina, Sugar, Artie, Blaine, Sam, Marley, Kitty, Unique, Joe, Jake and Ryder. What else can I say?

• subside011 Oct 22, 2013

My two cents:
    Rachel Berry has a successful broadway career, marries her Funny Girl lead/director/whoever, gets a Tony...also she agrees to have Blaine and Kurt's child, like her mother did for her fathers. Mercedes becomes super famous and does a duet with Jennifer Hudson at the Grammys or Oscars. Sam becomes the next Channing Tatum...ya know 'cause he was a stripper! Tina becomes a fashion designer/costume designer. Marley and Jacob actually make it. Ryder is awesome so I think he deserves to have a super awesome partner in crime, but that's tbd. Unique goes on RuPaul's Drag Race and WINS, then becomes her protege. Figgin's and Sue get married...never saw that coming did you! (but in case he's already marride i.d.k. she marries her baby daddy Michael Bolton was it?) Shue and Emma have their HEA... Man I actually hope Ian Brennan makes a cameo on the show before it goes off the air!!!!! I say this because I saw Save the Last Dance 2 and he was actually pretty awesome in it LOL.

• angieks21 Oct 21, 2013

Ugh, it should have just been cut short after The Quarterback episode for Corey. I used to be such a huge fan of Glee, and the show has gone downhill so much the last couple seasons…this current season more than anything. Corey's episode was done so well and honored him and how he meant to everyone. I think people would have understood and respected the show more if they had ended it right then.

• kgirl22 Jan 24, 2014

Beginning of that tribute page was great. The rest, HORRID! He could've had PTSD or got he/Rachel hoiked could've been good teschin tool bout odS oe not seeking help. Or they could've left it with him gone, but died last episode! Idk needs a sad/hapoy Glee Style end! But I think there's another wt. Lliting strike &:18 yr olds writin ALL the shows suck this season, I swear, look.at the Sprint commercials it shows humanity is getting stupid cuz if you listen its so funny!

• kgirl22 Jan 24, 2014

I.have to.disagree, I thought they did a HORRID job at honoring Cory, and it should've been cuz Rachel cheated & he OD'd or got prescribed Something. Could've been a great teaching tool but no.and I hate the songs anymore, dk why but do" and PS it's not even on.the next 2 wks so I believe it was cancelled! But I love how they magically walk out of an Ohio school and suddenly they're in NYC! LOL! But have heard they may name it something else and just film.in.NYC cuz it'd too hard for Lea to be on set. But cut them out. They should show that NO.AMOUNT of dreams and being cocky will get you everywhere, filling kids with false hope Rachel and all them grow old and she is in the diner while everyone else gets their wish, and she carries Blart's baby for crack money cuz she goes off the deep end. I mean.be like DeGrassi (if you never watched you should, Aubrey Graham AKA Drake waz on it you should watch it) they "go there' and they do and Glees PT PG13 so they could instead of sunshine & butterflies, BE REAL! Lmk.what you think!

• kgirl22 Jan 24, 2014

PS follow me on twitter @karmakelb

• irehawk20 Oct 21, 2013

This show, ending in May 2015, might help these three FOX comedies continue their series longer: New Girl, The Mindy Project and Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

• kgirl22 Jan 24, 2014

Just New Girl, but this season sucks. TV thid season sucks. Did writers strike happen & kids are writing the shows? It's just nobody's got creativity anymore follow me on twitter @karmakelb

• See More Comments (20)