Glee's New Directions Will Rise Again, With Rachel Berry as Their Leader

By KateStanhope

Aug 27, 2014

Glee isn't calling curtains on the New Directions after all.

The McKinley High glee club, which was shuttered by Principal Sue (Jane Lynch) in Season 5, will be making a comeback with the help of none other than Rachel Berry (Lea Michele), Fox revealed Wednesday.

According to new details released on the musical dramedy's final 13-episode run, Rachel will return to Lima, Ohio after experiencing "humiliating failure" in her attempt to become a TV actress. When she learns that Sue has in fact banished all arts from McKinley—which was only a matter of time, right?—she is determined to resurrect the glee club and become its new leader.

But don't worry about Mr. Schuester—or Rachel's fellow (now-former?) New Yorkers—just yet. Michael Morrison's Schue, Darren Criss's Blaine, and Chord Overstreet's Sam will all be in Ohio, but with "surprising" new jobs. (Here's hoping Sam's new gig somehow incorporates his amazing impressions.)

Meanwhile, Chris Colfer (who plays Kurt) and Kevin McHale (Artie) will also be back as series regulars. Same goes for Amber Riley (Mercedes) and Dot-Marie Jones (Coach Bieste), both of whom only recurred last season.

News that Rachel will take over as New Directions' new leader comes after Glee creator Ryan Murphy revealed last year that he'd originally envisioned that the series would end with Finn at the helm of New Directions. Cory Monteith, who portrayed the character, died in July 2013 of an accidental drug overdose, and Finn was subsequently killed off the series last October.

Also on the agenda for Glee's final season are the return of Dave Karovsky—possibly as a love interest for Blaine—and the addition of five brand-new characters

Do you think Rachel will be a good glee club director? Are you sad she didn't make it as a TV star?

• Comments (34)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • LucaMaltaglia Aug 29, 2014

this is actually the most coherent thing I've heard from Glee in years

• AmyTeves Aug 29, 2014

I personally would rather have had Kurt or Mercedes as the new directions leader. It is hard to imagine the self centered and insecure Rachel as changing that much. The glee club has always sort of been a support group for nobodies. But to be supportive you have to want others to succeed and be their number one fan.

• Sheena-Lynn Aug 28, 2014

Everytime I read something about the new season I think "Can it become any worse?" and I answer myself "No, how?" and then a new update comes along and I go "Well, how about that - they made it worse."
    Not that I expect anything at all from the next season but I feel like they actually want us to hate it...

• pmpambs3 Aug 28, 2014

Totally agree with you. This is IMO pathetic. IMO, Kevin O'Reilly did not do this to Glee. Glee is its own worst enemy. Some people liked seasons 4 and 5. Not me. Viewers have shown their displeasure with the path Glee has taken. Leaving in masses. I left early season 4. This is not what Glee has ever been about. I won't bother with watching Glee anymore. I tuned into this article hoping for something good from Glee again. I guess, I was wrong.

• Sheena-Lynn Aug 29, 2014

I didn't like seasons 4 and 5 either and I really don't think that they can make it better in season 6. I did watch it until the last episodes of season 5 and I will watch season 6 but... oh well. I guess most of the time I won't know if I should cry or laugh.

• irehawk20 Aug 30, 2014

We are going to fix this show right now for season 6, even if there is too much non-stopping hatred going on on this show.

• irehawk20 Aug 29, 2014

Kevin O'Reilly was this show's enemy and he did do this to this show, especially when he could not pay attention about keeping Cory Monteith out of rehab on time and alive. Kevin's replacement will try and help fix everything in this entire FOX network, even if this show is becoming more hated at the same time.

• Sheena-Lynn Aug 31, 2014

Thank you for the explanation. Okay, that sounds really bad. Executive meddling can really destroy a show, so maybe the sixth season will be better.
    I'm honest here, my hopes are still not that high but I'd love to be surprised in a positive way.

• irehawk20 Sep 01, 2014

Glee is not the only show having problems right now. New Girl, The Mindy Project, American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance are having the same problems along the way. But right now, FOX is fixing everything right now as New Girl and The Mindy Project are renewed. I'm not sure about American Idol. But we still fight for the 12th season of So You Think You Can Dance, because 12th is important and we want to make sure that the top 2 guys end up as top 2 finalists this Wednesday.

• Sheena-Lynn Aug 29, 2014

From your posting I guess Kevin O'Reilly was a producer and did a lot of executive meddling?

• irehawk20 Aug 30, 2014

Kevin O'Reilly did a lot of FOX network executive meddling and he got careless on all finances and keeping track on important actors and actresses.

• irehawk20 Aug 28, 2014

To all you fans who quit Glee, do not officially quit yet.

We already know that fired FOX member Kevin O'Reilly was the cause of this general financial network collapsing incident. He was the one who messed this show up and also made erratic urgent moves on both The Mindy Project, New Girl and So You Think You Can Dance.

They already found a new member to replace Kevin and they are going to fix everything in this network.

We want to see the return of Melissa Benoist, Alex Newell and Jayma Mays return to this show a recurring guests.

We hope some fisherman spots a loaded gun in the lake while fishing, reports to police and gets Sue Sylvester arrested and thrown in jail for the rest of her life in the end.

• Nik800 Aug 28, 2014

Didn't they tease the show was leaving New York and going to a new, exciting place? They had a perfect opportunity to take the show to L.A. Rachel would start her acting career, Mercedes and Santana could work on their albums, Artie could work on being a director and Sam could do something with his impressions. I'm sure they could have found something for some of the other actors to do as well. I just don't get why they made a big deal out of leaving McKenly if they were just going to come back after 8 episodes.

• Adokensan Aug 28, 2014

Am I sad that she didn't make it as a TV star? I'm sort of trying to block away that storyline all together, she always wanted to be a Broadway star!
    And them rehashing the storylines from season 1 is just ridiculous. But it seems these days that writers have a hard time writing "the final season" of shows, with the exception of Breaking Bad. (seriously: Gossip Girl, 90210, Dexter, Lost, Desperate Housewives, Friends, True Blood. I could go on and on...)

• davidholt10 Aug 28, 2014

I don't think you can really lump Friends in there. That wasn't the sort of show that had overarching plots: apart from the occasional wedding, divorce or birth, the episodes were pretty standalone. The last few series got gradually worse, and more like a parody of the original show, but they didn't exactly "struggle making a plot for the final season."

(also, you can't really say "these days" about Friends - it's ancient now!)

• Adokensan Aug 28, 2014

That's true. I guess I was just listing shows with not so good final seasons (compared to the early days). But in that case, I should also rule Glee out since that's also gotten gradually worse.

• mnikides Aug 28, 2014

Why don't they just let this show die already???

• JeremyB Aug 28, 2014

Well, they are.

• ben45tpy Aug 28, 2014

Sounds stupid, someone put this show out of its misery.

• PolarisCarver Aug 28, 2014

Just when we thought we were rid of the Marley gang, we're going to get a whole bunch of new Glee kids? Scared, I am.
    One thing that could be good, if it was handled properly (I dare not hope), would be the killing of the "if you don't get out of your hometown, you suck" trope, and the show changing his message from "everyone always get their dream jobs" to "you can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes sometimes, you might just get what you need". Though I'm not sure Glee can deliver proper messages anymore without confusing its viewers or being horribly un-subtle/offensive.

• docspector Aug 28, 2014

I believe the word we're all looking for is "floundering", although "foundering" is also appropriate.

• See More Comments (9)