Glee "Trio" Review: Frenemies, Part Deux

By MaryAnn Sleasman

Mar 05, 2014

Glee S05E10: "Trio"

Welp, it looks like Schue and Emma are having a baby. Thanks for not dragging that one out, Glee

Last week's "Frenemies" laid the groundwork for what I'm assuming will be a large chunk of the rest of Glee's fifth season: Rachel and Santana battling it out over Funny Girl; McKinley's latest batch of seniors getting ready to graduate and then never go away. As an extension of the actual progress made in "Frenemies," "Trio" sort of worked. Mostly, it confirmed a lot of what we already figured would happen, even if it marked the second episode in a row that featured a ton of infighting and gross pre-commencement proclamations of eternal friendship. 

In New York, Rachel continued to be an insufferable diva, but Santana really was out to screw her over. 

And in Lima, Tina was highly emotional heading into graduation, and when Sue (who is my spirit animal) canceled the first annual senior lock-in because it sounded like a lawsuit waiting to happen (I mean, it sounded like a lawsuit waiting to happen) Blaine, Tina, and Sam decided to throw their own sleepover at the school because they are pathetic. Becky inexplicably showed up to crash their party, though her suicidal version of Twister actually looked like a good time in a bad way. And then Tina got to make out with Sam because that hadn't happened yet. 

Oh, and Schue tried to be supportive of Emma by being a total weirdo.

Musically, we landed something from every conceivable audience age group—a healthy mix of genres plus the theme song from The Breakfast Club. (With seven songs crammed into 40-something minutes and a leering expiration date stamped on Glee's sticky, slushie-covered forehead, the need to milk that iTunes gravy train is strong with this one.) 

Anyway, the onset of Blaine, Tina, and Sam's pomp and circumstance gave Schue a platform to get all schmaltzy and tell the New Directions that "these are the friendships you're gonna cherish for the rest of your life," which made me seriously question whether anyone involved with Glee actually attended high school. Like, a real one, where everyone is miserable and the only kids having a meltdown about how sad the end of high school is are the ones who know they peaked at prom. During the performance of "Don't You (Forget About Me)" all I could think about was the actual plot of The Breakfast Club and how, in reality, those kids probably never spoke to each other again come the next Monday at school.

Lord knows the ongoing drama in New York didn't make a case for high school as a breeding ground for lifelong friendships. Starchild and Kurt found themselves torn between Santana and Rachel, who really flexed their manipulation muscles in an attempt to, IDK, win Starchild's love? At one point, Rachel even told Santana that Santana needed to let Rachel have her Fanny Brice role in peace because Rachel let Santana have Kurt and the apartment. So much for best friends forever, right, Kurt? And how about the girls' implication that gay men are property? Yikes.

I'm weirdly proud of Kurt, though, and I'm not often proud or even particularly fond of Kurt. Starchild was right when he pointed out that Kurt was probably used to Rachel and Santana's drama. And he so is, but rather than watch the girls' crap ruin something he's actually rather passionate about, rather than let it ruin something he's apparently staked his future on because he never seems to be attending class or working at his Vogue internship anymore, Kurt did something kind of surprising—maybe the only surprising part of "Trio"—and started a new band with Starchild and Dani. Or, you know, Adam Lambert and Demi Lovato. Not bad, Porcelain. Not bad at all. Pamela Lansbury may be dead (this week) but from the ashes has risen One Three Hill. *sniffle* SO PROUD.

Next week, the New Directions heads to Los Angeles for Nationals. I'm so excited. I'm also giddy at the idea of Santana destroying Rachel because even though it will never ever happen, a girl's got to dream. It seemed like the leading ladies were on their way toward a teensy weensy spot of reconciliation though. That would be okay, too. 

See you in L.A.! Will you be there? (You should really be there.)

MUSICAL NOTES

– This week's Glee playlist: Will and Emma's "Danny's Song" was nice. Also, "Hold On" because you can't really go wrong with an ensemble and a montage. 

– Glee actually addressed the problematic connotations of calling someone your "best gay," without being all self-righteous and awful about it. 

– Emma got compared to a goat a few times during her brief fling with infertility. Will seemed very perceptive to the idea of his wife being a goat, but on the plus side, we got half a second of Schue being an actual history teacher before abandoning his class to bone the former Miss Pillsbury somewhere public enough that Becky walked in on them. They couldn't find somewhere more secluded? Amateurs. 

– Oh, I get it, Will and Emma are becoming a "trio" because baby makes three. Cute. 

– Nationals predictions, anyone?

• Comments (64)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • CaitlinRice Mar 06, 2014

Last week was definitely a much stronger episode. This definitely just felt like a plot continuation because they couldn't really start much else up with nationals and graduation taking up the next couple of weeks. It wasn't terrible (especially compared to most of the other crap from this season), but it was that good either.

• vcivi Mar 06, 2014

This episode was a bit dissapointing after a very strong episode last week. Last week was simply awesome...the songs were great, story line was great.
    This week it was all over the place...
    loved the battle between Rachel and Santana in the diner with Gloria...that was fun to watch....Starchild was awesome to telling Kurt that he is maybe used to this drama, but he isn't and that he is over it...that was awesome..
    Loved how Kurt tried to talk to the girls and Santana just wanted to kick Rachels ass.....
    Rachel actually annoys me, while i normally love her...now she is playing Funny girl, she has become a diva...in a very bad way...
    Wonder what Santana is going to do to Rachel, so she can play the part instead of Rachel...
    The rest of the storyline was boring...the whole trio thing didn't work at all..
    Becky was more fun to watch with her energy drinks..
    Sue was as always awesome with her comments...
    Wemma is having a baby...that was nice to watch..!!

• sylv Mar 07, 2014

No I think the episode is still really good..
    I re-watched the old episodes like Katy/Gaga, the End of Twerk, etc,, and compare to this one, it's like hell (old eps) to heaven (new eps)..

• kevinolivertan Mar 06, 2014

As much as I love Glee, this episode sucks a bit. The plot is not that really compelling. NY plot is ok though not strong enough 'cause it's more like of a part 2 of 'Frenemies'. Song selections are quite odd and I barely see the point of putting the 'senior lockout' plot at all just to force Sam & Tina do their 'experimental' makeout. I'm a bit sick of everyone's pairing up w/ everyone in glee.

• sylv Mar 07, 2014

I must agree with you on the pairing thing. Sam looks like a whore man. Very unlike the sweet, likable Sam in season 2-3.

• ark1317 Mar 07, 2014

They just changed. Even Tina went from goth girl to "the biggest bitch at McKinley", and Blaine was lovable to, and then changed into the male version of Diva Rachel (and his reaction to the make out normally would mean he still has feelings for Sam anyway)

• Thanatos360 Mar 06, 2014

I'm excited for next week because since the show is filmed in LA and it will be taking place in LA they will actually be able to film outside. When's the last time they did that? New York maybe?

• ark1317 Mar 07, 2014

So Puck and Mercedes will be there right?

• irehawk20 Mar 11, 2014

Emma should also appear in the 100th, but she won't sing in that episode.

• LuisQuiroga Mar 07, 2014

Puck, Mercedes, Brittany, Quinn and Mike will appear on the 100th double episode; March 18th I think; also April (Kristin Chenoweth) and Holly (Gwyneth Paltrow).

• Thanatos360 Mar 07, 2014

I know that Mercedes will be there from watching the preview but not sure about Puck. Didn't he move back to Ohio after not making it in California?

• jakibros Mar 06, 2014

In what Glee universe does Jumpin Jumpin fit into the story line? Furthermore why is Sam singing that song? That doesn't come anywhere near his repertoire. Why is Artie suddenly being rejected... no explanation there. The plot lines are just going all over the place! Adam and Lea RUINED Heart's song Barracuda. Glees musical budget must be tight cuz "The Happening" sung by Chris, Adam and Demi was way beneath their talent level. Those three could have put out something fabulous without divas Lea and Naya. The best part was the return of Sue Sylvestor... sarcasm queen and Wemma having a baby!

• lauriewygonik Mar 06, 2014

Glee is moronic except some brilliant person thought to add Adam Lambert to the mix. The cream rises to the top and High tide lifts all boats. Adam will continue to do a fantastic job no matter how bad the show is and he will say nice things because he is a professional, but I wish he didn't have to stoop this low to get attention. Hopefully once he hits the road with Queen, all will be just PERFECT. :)

• KittyKato Mar 06, 2014

Yep, Adam's the only reason to watch this disaster of a show now.

• sylv Mar 06, 2014

Wow that's harsh or you're a huge Adam fan with hate towards everyone but him. Glee is no way moronic, just disappointing sometimes.
    The recent plots are way better than before. And parts in which Kurt & Trio -Dani,Elliott- plus Rachel-Santana are no way idiotic, it is very natural and admirable.

• annasimoniaine Mar 05, 2014

Maybe I missed something, but since when are Will and Emma having sex? And in such an unsanitary - not to mention public - place.

• ark1317 Mar 07, 2014

Oh at graduation Emma flirted with him with a pamphlet saying "When it's time to have intercourse..." so at least they made it that one time ahah
    But agree with you on the unsanitary and public place, Emma has OCD only at plot's convenience

• zeofan1 Mar 05, 2014

I know the feeling. I, too, have worried about whether certain friends considered me a 'Pocket gay'. XD

• ark1317 Mar 07, 2014

It's silly to make Elliot say that line since the show loved to make the gay characters Best Gay...

• irehawk20 Mar 05, 2014

If the New Directions lose, then just make sure they end up 3rd place rather than 2nd place as default.

• ark1317 Mar 07, 2014

They'r nowhere near the level for victory... or I just don't feel them as an ensemble

• Cassie2929 Mar 05, 2014

They have already spoiled that they get 2nd place.

• irehawk20 Mar 11, 2014

2nd place is too painful.

• irehawk20 Mar 06, 2014

Just make sure that 3rd place is good enough, rather than just both 2nd and last places.

• irehawk20 Mar 06, 2014

This comment has been removed.

• LuisQuiroga Mar 05, 2014

Prediction for Nationals and beyond: they'll lose; 2nd or 3rd place, doesn't matter; Sue disbands the Glee club; the seniors graduate and move to NYC; Shue gets a role on Broadway with April or a college job with Holly and moves to NYC; Sue gets fired from McKinley for framing Figgins and gets a job as a coach in NYC... Goodbye McKinley and hello NYC for Season 6.

• irehawk20 Mar 05, 2014

Sue will get fired, but unfortunately, she won't end up in New York because of the gun situation she set up from the previous season. Sue is going to end up in jail, no offense. She won't be involve disbanding the Glee Club even if they are ending soon.

• LuisQuiroga Mar 06, 2014

Actually, Sue ending up in jail is not a bad idea... it would be a hoot and a half... something a la Orange is the New Black... even funnier if Bieste or Roz Washington or both end up being her jail guard(s)

• irehawk20 Mar 06, 2014

Good suggestion!

• See More Comments (15)