Gotham: Check Out the First Photo of Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock

By Tim Surette

Mar 20, 2014

Fox has an upcoming Batman series called Gotham featuring just about everyone except for Batman. Wait, what? It's a prequel to the creation of the winged crusader focusing on the origin of future police commissioner James Gordon (played by Gary Oldman in the films and Ben MacKenzie in Gotham), when Batman was just a young billionaire kid with dead parents. Based on the strength of the TV superhero craze, Fox has ordered Gotham straight to series with a target debut date of the 2014-2015 season, and the show is already playing dress-up, as evidenced by the first promotional image that was released today.

Here's a picture of King Horik Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock, Detective Gordon's partner who don't play by the book, don't need no stinkin' badge, and whatever other cliché you can come up with for that type of tough character.

And here's an image of Harvey from the comics, for comparison's sake:

What do you think? Does Logue look the part? 

• Comments (62)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • numberonecubsfa Mar 21, 2014

Not who I would have expected for the part, but boy do I love Logue, so I'm stoked to see his take.

• StanleyStutters Mar 21, 2014

I love the casting so far. I hope they focus on Gordon and don't spend too much time on a young Bruce Wayne. This show will work best if the focus is on Gordon, the Gotham PD, and the criminals they face, and not Bruce Wayne's childhood.

• sleepy-sonic Mar 21, 2014

He certainly got the looks.

• MorbidPet Mar 21, 2014

Love Donal Logue!! He's the guy you love to hate (but in SVU I just ended up loving him)

• docspector Mar 21, 2014

Harvey Bullock's the cop who thinks that they don't need the Batman... they just need cops willing to do what the Batman does. He was played to perfection in the animated series. (EVERYTHING was played to perfection in the animated series.)

• mrjimmyjames Mar 21, 2014

I think this show's doing the right thing by focusing on the police and not as much on Bruce (I'm not even sure I like Bruce and Alfred being regulars). Gary Oldman's performance showed that there's a lot of potential storylines for Gotham cops and a lot hasn't been explored. Before Batman Begins it was simply just a nearly pointless role that only existed to react to Batman's actions. So smart of Nolan to cast an A-list actor in the role (he did pretty much the same thing with Alfred). His interpretation was less boisterous (and as a result more likeable) more lowkey and easier to look at (I hated his white hair on the cartoon). You instantly knew you like the character. Now i wanna know all about the Gotham PD. And now we get a young 20 something Gordon? Another avenue to explore; I think it will be rewarding.

If he's detective Gordon, he's more than 20-something. Especially if the GCPD is as corrupt as it was in the early Batman comics.

• mrjimmyjames Mar 22, 2014

I'm basing it off the fact that the actor could easily play anywhere from late 20s to early 30s. I'd like to see him still be in his 20s so he'd have enough time to grow from young hotshot to a the older, reserved, mustached guy from the Dark Knight Trilogy. Plus I think it would be interesting to see a really young Gordon.

My biggest problem is with the design of the city in the background. It just doesn't look realistic. Too little light (like the Burton movies) and depressed looking. Even the most depressed cities don't have skylines that look that bad (Detroit's skyline doesn't look that depressed even though the city is very much). Nolan had it figured out and I think the city should look like that.

I should have also mentioned that it's too inspired by old city skylines. Seems ridiculous to do that unless it's a period piece.

Look back at the animated series. Gotham is dark at night, and it has a lot of old buildings in it. The architecture is particularly prone to the 1930's "modern" or "futuristic" styles
    Gotham is a city whose best years are past. The city is failing, run by criminal gangs, and the police are corrupt. Most people who can have fled, leaving behind only those with no choice, and idealists (Thomas and Martha Wayne)
    And, it has to look old so you know that this series is prologue to Batman.

I understand that the animated series and Burton series had it looking that way. I'm saying that it's a step backwards to do that. I don't buy the idea that a city would look that way. It's not realistic. Economically depressed cities don't look that way (for ex. Detroit). They look more like what Nolan portrayed in his series.

Looks perfect for the role. This character has always sounded like one of the most interesting ones that hasn't been explored on screen and it's great see that finally happen.

Depends on which screen you're talking about. Bullock and Montoya were prominently featured in the animated series.

I'm not talking about anything other than live action. And I haven't mentioned Montoya.

• daeonica Mar 21, 2014

Lose the 'stache.

• gmanBegins Mar 21, 2014

I have to keep reminding myself this is not gonna be like Smallville!! Its not about young Bruce Wayne?!?! Its about the city he lives in?!?!?
    The funny thing is I must tune in to the 1st couple of episodes just watch this crash and burn. Could it be a success?

I think it has a chance for success. I'm not expecting crash & burn.

• See More Comments (14)