Graceland "Happy Endings" Review: A Pit-stop on Mount Doom

By MaryAnn Sleasman

Sep 06, 2013

Graceland S01E11: "Happy Endings"

Okay, Graceland, we need to talk about this episode title, because "Happy Endings" was neither happy nor an ending, and if it was meant to convey the orgasmic joy we'd all get from partaking of the latest Mike and Briggs Comedic Angst Hour, I'm gonna have to report back that while Graceland's penultimate Season 1 episode was very good, there was no quivering in my loins to be found. 

And now that we're all left with that image of questionable taste, let's talk about what was awesome, because there was some awesome. In fact, 99.9 percent of "Happy Endings" continued Graceland's fine tradition of being intense and crazy and... well... awesome. 

Still reeling from the unfortunate conclusion to DJ's fabulous strippers-and-bouncy-castle birthday party, Johnny made Death Star pancakes (<3 him) and quietly moped about how everyone hates each other these days and oh look, Charlie is getting snuggly with a Federale. Their confrontation about Charlie's new BFF basically amounted to:

"WTF CHARLIE?"

"NO ONE AT HOME GETS ME!!!"

Since Johnny's endgame is basically to be besties with everyone in the house at pretty much any cost, he went along with Charlie's plan to invite Jangles on her latest Heroin Kate adventure. There was some token grumbling, but Johnny ultimately sat in the car like a good puppy and let Charlie smack the crap out of Whatsisface for that time he let Whistler OD in his gross frat-boy bathroom. (Sorry, frat boys.) Now, to be fair, I have encountered some very nice fraternity potties in my day... but the vast majority made me cry and rethink my life choices.

Also up for re-evaluating life: DJ! Hi, DJ. Welcome! Welcome! 

It turns out that DJ and Briggs go way back. We've never been given any inkling of this before, but whatever, I was so excited to see DJ doing something besides being bitter that I happily hand-waved it (though the randomness of their sudden closeness is definitely part of that percentage of a percent that prevents "Happy Endings" from being OMG BEST THING EVER OMG). It was a random revelation, but not an episode-ruiner for me. If you disagree, please feel free to sound off below. I know that sometimes I get bent out of shape over plot points that no one else has a problem with, and I'm always curious to see when that's inverted. 

So DJ and Briggs went to the site of the former Estate to find Juan's car and the supposed recording that supposedly implicates Briggs in Juan's murder. Unfortunately, the car was stolen because of course it was and unfortunately, Mike and Paige were also looking for the car and the recording so that they could clear Briggs' name. Aw, they're cute. Briggs and Mike teamed up and Mike, proving that he really had learned a thing or two from his mentor, whether he was supposed to or not, struck first and cuffed Briggs in the middle of their mission so that he wouldn't interfere with Mike getting his paws on Juan's recorder. 

You know, if Juan's recorder had actually been in the car. 

I mean seriously, the car had been stolen. By car thieves. If you've worked up to stealing cars, you're probably okay with stealing other stuff too. Like the stuff in the cars that you steal. That recorder was pawned last week for beer money. Duh. 

The damage—or at least more of it—was already done, though. Briggs grabbed his secret drug money nest egg and bailed. Mike looked like a doofus with no recorder (Can I get a Simpsons-esque "HA HA?"), and Jangles is still on the prowl because of Charlie's Charlie-ness. Better ice those knuckles, girl, we've still got a week left in Crazytown. 

Are you still watching? What do you think will happen in next week's finale? 

NOTES

– The Charile/Jangles montage was unintentionally hilarious. I think it would have been more amazing if Charlie was a girly girl lady-spy a la Sarah Walker (Chuck), but lipstick versus bone saw was still pretty great. 

– WHERE'S THE MONEY RECORDER, LEBOWSKI?

– I love that even though Briggs and DJ are surprise Best Friends Forever, DJ still doesn't take Briggs' bullshit and doesn't settle for his crappy vague answers. Use small words and a firm voice, Boo. 

– Lol @ Mike getting all weirded out about Paige being pretend preggers for the mission. Seriously, the dude masqueraded as a crooked Marine and actually got people killed and he squirms at the sight of a plastic preggo belly? Shut up, Mike. Even if his real issue was with Paige lying to Clayton's mom about her delicate condition... MIKE'S MISSION ENDED LIVES. DISCUSSION OVER. 

• Comments (61)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • marcusj1973 Sep 09, 2013

{sniff sniff}

Is that a little animosity I smell towards Graceland's beloved boy scout? Curious that some tension would arise between our trusted reviewer and our FBI rookie during the episode when Mike completely punk'd Briggs, not once but twice. Must be a coincidence. No way feelings of unrequited love...err...lust, would tilt MaryAnn's objectivity. Ummm...right? Or perhaps these are the signs of projected anger. After all, Briggs is dreeeamy and after many episodes of denial, perhaps the now obvious betrayal has sunk in and what better way to vent than at the kid? ;)

I personally don't have an issue with the Briggs/DJ relationship since there was never an indication that they weren't/couldn't have known each other for a while. That's more of an indictment on DJ's role, or lack there of, this season than anything else. Even though there's been a lack of personal development, DJ has already lent seized armour piercing bullets to Mike and Briggs as a "favour" so DJ going along after discovering the truth about Brigg's unfortunate shooting doesn't seem all that out of character. Thus far, shooting Juan is the most legitimately unfortunate thing Briggs has done this year. Given the same circumstances, I'm not sure anybody else in the house would have acted different and that's something DJ can relate to.

• AmyTeves Sep 09, 2013

The episode was awesome with all of the intrigue and everyone in the house seems to be spying or conspiring with or against each other. Johnny is the only one it seems who is trying to get past the secrets and get the "family" to stick together no matter what.

• markus432 Sep 08, 2013

i love this sow it is the best i hope i can see season 2 soon plz if anybody have news about season 2 let me know

• cellardoors Sep 08, 2013

Mikey's outsmarting Briggs. And that's endearing him to me. Taking him out of the game all together. Smooth moves.

I like the character progression of Mike so far, I want him to find out Briggs is Odin. I see his face and feel the betrayal already.

Though I'm sad because I think this is the only season. It got good.

• MarlboroMagpi Sep 07, 2013

I was actually ready to give the show up til this Odin story started a few weeks ago and it was awesome. This last few episodes were really the best ! I am just wondering if anyone still rooting for Briggs now that we are all sure he is the BAD guy. I was actually hoping for some kind of explanation like he is actually deep undercover till last week killing of Juan. I burnt through the last few episodes today and it was great ! Does anyone know if the show is being renewed? If it was, I wonder how they continue since Briggs now is likely to be on the run. I will hate it if he gets away with it yet again.

• houbou Sep 07, 2013

Love the show.. it is something interesting to see how things get stretched a little bit, but overall, cool show. It's nice to see Briggs on the defensive for once. Still, you gotta wonder what happened to the recorder? :) Maybe that will come out in the next episode.

• akyag Sep 07, 2013

I liked all the fast paced awesomeness or whatever mike is doing.. Some nice twists and turns in past few episodes.. I would definitely be checking out season 2.. Also wouldn't mind seeing Charlie and Paige getting dressed in each episode.. Just saying..

• wind_shadow Sep 07, 2013

I REALLY want to know what happened with Briggs and DJ to the point where when Briggs says, "Yeah, I killed an FBI agent and buried him in the desert and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me cover it up?" DJ only responds with mild annoyance and goes along with it....like, WHAT?! There's jaded, and then there's criminally suspect. Seriously.

• safibwana Sep 07, 2013

If you've never had a friend who will help you cover up a murder regardless of the situation, you've never had a friend.

• Ralike Sep 07, 2013

One of my favorite cop shows (coming from a person who watches tons of them) it beats out many because its different and it made my Thursdays worth it

• JustinJohnson9 Sep 07, 2013

Definitely liked this episode a lot. DJ and Briggs scenes together were fun to watch. The finale should be very interesting, especially with the missing recording.

• See More Comments (17)