Greatest American Dog

Show Reviews (25)

Fair
6.6

Great, fun, interesting, clean show! Not many of those around!!

By kski, Dec 16, 2011

This is a fun, interesting, informative show! I've learned some dog tricks to try on my new dog. It's also a touching show at times...especially for us dog owners who can relate to how much the dogs mean to people on the show. I think it's a great clean show and there aren't too many like this out there in these 2000's.

This is a fun, interesting, informative show! I've learned some dog tricks to try on my new dog. It's also touching at times..especially for us dog owners who can relate to how much the dogs mean to the people on the show. I think it's a great, clean show and there aren't tomoreless

i find JD and Galaxy are best and they should win this.i feel Victoria is a bit unsecured about JD that how he has good relationship with Galaxy and even he trained him very well.please judges see the whole episode and see how JD is so caring to Galaxy...

By Jeni, Dec 09, 2011

Show lacks PROFESSIONAL judges, it seems as if the judges are very biased against certain people, and the challeges were lackluster.

By jshepman24, Sep 11, 2008

First off, my parents and I have been watching this show with high hopes the entire season. Our view of the show has changed dramatically.

The judges need to go. The judges are very generic and don't have the needed skills to judge this show. They seem to hold grudges, and that little catfight was very unprofessional. The judges made some very poor decisions, and getting rid of JD and Galaxy was the biggest. They spent more time judging JD, and haven't been concerned about the dog for several episodes. Out of the top three, the Boxer and the Maltese should've been booted way before the Border Collie. What a joke.

The challenges, or lack of. This show needs major work on making funner, more challenging events. My cat, Halo, is more than capable of completing these bogus challenges. Get real, or go home.

Would you watch a 2nd season?

Not if these issues haven't been addressed, and my parents are in this same room, agreeing with me.moreless

great show

By BlytheKitten, Aug 28, 2008

It's the Greatest show on t.v. It's Like a dog big brother, but it has different themes and challenges. The main thing is that there is one dog that will be the Greatest American Dog. So that is the main thing.while there are also challenges that leads to the dog bone sweet and .I think that they can pick a person to be in the dog house.the person who got the dog bone sweet got a leg up on what challenge they had to face.And everyone else didn't get the leg up if they weren't the winner.That is what i think of the show.moreless

This stunt should have never happened.

By imadogluver, Aug 28, 2008

We watch this show every week then go to work and discuss it. This stunt last night with the flying dog should have never happened. Dogs need to be conditioned to climb and "fly". Now a dog is hurt? Good job little Maltese for refusing !! Smart dog !!! I am very disappointed that a show like this would do what they did. Talk about being rough with your dog? Seriously, those dogs shouldn't have even been climbing that ramp. The boxer could have been hurt thrashing around on the harness ... there is no way a nine year old dog should have been doing those stunts when he wasn't trained for a long period of time to do it in a safe way. Whats the deal?moreless

Teams pair up with one human directing both dogs and one human hidden in a box. One dog has to ring a bell. The other climbs steps to go in a cedar-shavings-filled container and dig until it finds a rope to pull and release the owner in the box below.

By dimiever, Aug 21, 2008

I've had such fun watching this show--and I'm not even a dog person! Bill and Star are my faves, but Bill really blew it last night. Star was clearly at her limit and Bill kept pushing her to round up the darned puppies. It was obvious that Star wasn't in the least bit interested in the puppies (leg up or not!) and it was only by luck that two managed to cross the finish line...naughty Bill!

I'm most interested in finding out how others feel about the supposed aversion training that JD uses. I have seen no evidence of such a thing and it doesn't not appear to me that Galaxy fears JD in the least. Where on earth did that come from? I'm not saying I agree with aversion training--and I definitely feel that fear has no place in training--but neither am I a big fan of the constant treats some folks give their animals.

Comments?moreless

Wonderful show which I would love to see on again! Maybe this will encourage more people to go out & CAREFULLY find & adopt the perfect dog for themselves at a local Animal Shelter! Who knows, maybe America's next Best dog will be in your local shelter?

By Britty_Bee1991, Aug 21, 2008

This is a great show which might enspire people to train their own dogs, though I think that it may send the wrong message to those who don't have very much experience with dogs. The first is that dogs aren't always easy to train and the method of Positive Re-enforcement doesn't always work on dogs. I am a training of 13 years and have worked with several dogs and enjoy using the Positive Re-enforcement training, though I have had quite a few dogs that required domination and ended up happy with their owners as an obedient, loving dog.

Now tonights episode did infact offend me when Victoria claimed herself to be "The God of Dog Training". She had no right to attack Cesar Millan who uses Energy as a primary training method and even though I respect her training method I have been detured when she resorted to Castration of a dog who had been mounting its' owners. There was no need for that and if she had taught the people how to lay the dog down (Gently if I might add) onto his side and hold him there until he calmed and then repeated this on a daily basis then the dog would have completely stopped and not have to worry about having a hightened risk of bladder infections later on down the line.

I honestly think that an apology is owed to the many dog trainers out there who still use the domination Method of dog training because it is NOT a cruel method by any means. Holding a dog down isnt painful and it doesnt cause any psychological trauma to the dog, it simply shows the dog that you are the leader of your house hold pack and that they are to respect your place. I do not suggest to use this method on just any dog, however, because there are many dogs that are too timid, or submissive for this. So before you resort to either methods I highly suggest you find a local proffessional who specializes in both methods and ask them for their personal oppinion on how to train your dog.moreless

It is amazing to watch the chemistry between the dogs and their owners, but to watch owners get ripped into for not doing EXACTLY what the judges feels the way it should've been executed - The show should've been called something else....

By rebecca_cooke79, Aug 21, 2008

I love this show! I am a HUGE dog lover and I enjoy watching them do the challenges. Some of the drama between the contestants is a bit much, but overall a great watch. The major grievance I have is the way the judges berate the owners. It seems as though it should be called "Greatest American Dog Trainer". This show gives the audience the impression that EVERY breed is inately capable of completing any and all tasks put in front of them. In actuality, some breeds instinctually herd, protect and some are meant to be lap dogs. In this last episode, the dogs had to herd puppies though a maze. Before it even started, I called Leroy and Galaxy to excel. Why?? They are border collies. These dogs were put on this earth to herd other animals. It is an instint hard wired in their dna to herd animals. Although, I will say, Leroy did a better job of actually herding. Anyways, be it as it may, I will still watch this show till the end and if it comes back on next season.moreless

I'm not sure if the relationships between the dogs' owners are real or fabricated.

By animalady1990, Aug 14, 2008

Overall, I believe this is a good show and would like to see another season. However, I think Theresa is playing Bill. She gave him the dog bone suite, as well as the leg up, which I thought was a nice gesture, because she said that Bill missed his family and wanted him to see pictures of them. But when he returned the favor, she did not mention to the judges that he had done the same for her. Also, she did not bring up that she was helped by a professional in creating her dog painting, as Bill had done when he was afforded this privilege in the dancing with the dogs segment. This bothered me a bit. I would keep an eye on her.moreless

Love this show!

By DeweyCan, Aug 01, 2008

I think Tilman was ripped off! Yes, I do agree that a better picture could have been used but come on he was still LAZY! Why is Beacon still here? He did not look loving at all in his picture. Not only that Beacon should have been gone in episode 2. Love the show but they need to be fair!Galaxy will win it all! Owner is a little cocky but his dog is pretty smart and well trained. That was a perfect picture of Galaxy! He did look so sneaky! I usually don't watch reality shows but love animals and decided to give it a shoot. I love it! This was a great idea! What makes this great is that the dogs are your everyday dogs. They are not professionally trained dogs. I recommend this show and can't wait to see it next week!moreless

Load More Reviews