It's the End of the World (1)

Episode Reviews (88)

Superb

The best Grey's episode of them all

By ylpartner, May 08, 2011

This episode, along with it's conclusion in the following episode entitled "...As we know it", is the best episode of Grey's Anatomy through all three seasons that have aired so far. The Code Black story is handled with just the right level of emotion and drama, and makes it far more believable than most TV shows would do today. The story of Dr. Bailey delivering her baby shows a great side of her character that we don't often get to see, and also shows why Chandra Wilson is such a great actress. I wasn't a huge fan of the turn in the Alex-Izzie story with this episode, but the second part of the episode brings about a more honest and sweet turn to it. Christina Ricci and Kyle Chandler are great as the bomb-squad detective and the EMT with her hand keeping the bomb steady and the patient from bleeding out. Definitely worth checking out.moreless

Memorable.

By chaostheory777, May 08, 2011

Well, hello, post-Super Bowl episode. The Steelers win, and we open with the fantasy of beer-and-cheese-dip-laden football fans nationwide: three beautiful women getting it on, soaking wet. Mere, Izzie, and Cristina hang out in a steamy shower -- their hair inexplicably dry, and their makeup perfect -- giggling and flirting and sponging each other down hotly. I find it sad and unfortunate that poor little Ellen Pompeo, while still incredibly pretty, is not even in the same universe of hotness as the Misses Heigl and Oh, oh my. Eat a cheeseburger and invest in some moisturizer, Ellen! Anyway, Mere voice-overs, "Okay. Clearly, not my dream," as the shower door slides open and there stands...George. Hee. Cristina turns around and growls sultrily, "George." Izzie purrs that he's the strongest, most masculine man she's ever known. Cristina: "You're smarter than me. And you've got really great hair." Mere: "I'm in love with you, George. I always have been, and I always will be." George steps into the shower, throws his towel off, and...cut to the pathetic thing falling out of his own bed. Aw. MereVO: "See? Told you. Not my dream." George tries really hard to look strong and masculine as he heaves himself up off the floor and Izzie bursts in to remind him to use the plunger on the toilet. "What are you doing on the floor? Get up, something's wrong with Meredith."

Mere is wallowing in her bed of self-pity and telling the gang she's not going to work today. Despite their protests that she has to go to work and do surgery, Mere insists she's staying home, and she doesn't care about work OR surgeries. Cristina magically appears on the other side of her bed. "You have a...feeling?" Mere says yes, she has a feeling like she might die. Cristina tells her to shut up and come on. She sits down on the bed. "This is me being supportive. Go." Mere sits up a fraction of an inch and tells Cristina what we already know: the man she loves has a wife, and he's chosen her over Mere, and now they have her dog. "She's got my McDreamy. And my McDog. She's got my McLife! And what have I got?" She goes on some more about her sad, sad life, then adds, "Plus my conditioner decided to stop working and I think I have brittle bones." Heh. No kidding. Cristina attempts to look concerned as Mere says she just needs a sign that things are gonna change -- a reason to go on. Cristina ponders this for a second, then jumps up and rips the covers away. "Whatever, everybody has problems. Now get your ass out of bed and get to work." She jumps up onto the bed and actually kicks Meredith out of it. Awesome.

At the hospital, Burke and Webber discuss the quiet board they're staring at, and how it's a bad sign. McDreamy walks over and also notes the quiet board. Webber tells them a quiet board means trouble, death, and bad news, and for them to stop looking at him like that. They continue to look at him like that. After Webber stomps off, Burke goes to leave and bids McDreamy a "Dr. Shepherd." McDreamy: "Dr. BURKE." He asks why they can't call each other by their first names, seeing as how they've known each other for a while, and done surgeries together, and have best friend ex/girlfriends. Burke says he doesn't think so. Ha! McDreamy can't believe it, but Burke is serious. He says again, "Dr. Shepherd." McDreamy, defeatedly: "Dr. Burke."moreless

This was the first episode I ever saw of Grey's Anatomy.. I saw it by accident flipping channels one night. i was instantly sucked in.

By PicsiDiva, May 08, 2011

This was the episode that started it all for me Not only was I instantly addicted, I went back and watched all of season one to understand what I didn't know and the episodes of season two I missed. When the second part of the episode As we know it aired I was very up to speed.This is by far one one of the best episodes. I think for anyone who wants to start watching this show and episode like this is perfect to watch to show how amazing of a show that it is of course you have to watch the other part with it.moreless

Excelent Episode!

By sabrips, May 08, 2011

I did not watch Grey's Anatomy right from the start but the first episode I ever saw got me hooked. So I watch all the episodes I had missed right away, every single one of them made more interested in the show, until I saw this…

I have to say I was on the edge of my seat from start to finish (and a little bit after it finished). This is one of the best episodes on the show (amazing 'cause they are all so good), you can feel the intensity and stress of the characters and cant help but wonder what is going to happen next. It is shocking and fresh and I could watch it 100 times and won't get bored.moreless

SEE IT NOW!

By ecinajx19, Dec 29, 2010

Hey yall, here ya go if you missed all or part of the end of the world episode

and it won't cost a penny and you don't have to subscribe or anything. Unfortunately it is a bit pixilated and there's no controls I can find nor are there any ads, so do not go there yet unless you are really ready to watch it now.

It's an excellent episode of a great show. I just read a blog from the gal who is the main writer and she says that they were hoping for a ninety minute episode, then she got told to make it two hours, so we'll have to see whether she could stretch it out and still maintain quality.moreless

OH MY GOD.

By SamuraiRaven, Dec 29, 2010

This is exactly why I watch this show. I had no idea it was a bazoak in that dude. That was funny but yet scary. I would have freaked just like Ricci, but not as bad. That doctor dude who left her, I could see why her left. Come on he has his kids to think about. But still he could have waited until someone came back in that room. And what was Grey thinking. How did she put her hand in that so fast. That was cool, but also crazy. I know now Dr. Mc Dreamy is going to freak. I fell so sorry for Bailey, having to have a baby knowing her Husband might die. It was fuuny when she came back at first and George hugged her. OHHHHHHHH. And I can't beleive Izzie slept with Alex. I did not see that coming. I have got to say this is the best ep of GA I have ever seen.moreless

Two words...CODE BLACK...no other words can describe it...

By totallyaddicted, Dec 29, 2010

From the opening moments, you knew it would be an amazing episode...Meredith standing in an empty OR with her hand oustretched like she's holding some imaginary object, facing off with a nervous looking McDreamy, with a single tear running down her cheek, her voice over saying how she has a feeling she is going to die...wowsers where to go from there...to the things we want to do before one dies, Meredith, Cristina and Izzie soaping each other up in the shower...obviously Georges wish before dying...From there, Meredith not wanting to get out of bed, not wanting to go to work, realising Addison has taken her McDreamy, her McDog and her McLife, Cristina is the one to get her out of the house...although by the end of the episode, you start to think maybe she should of stayed in bed...but then that wouldn't be Meredith...

Bailey's back...and to say the interns are happy is an understatement, George goes to hug her, although hesitant at first, Bailey finally lets George have his way, just as her water breaks on his feet.

An ambulance arrives with a screaming woman, and a paramedic, Hannah with her hand in a mans chest, stopping him from bleeding out or so we think.

As Bailey and George try to contact Bailey's husband, a MVA patient arrives, who we quickly learn is indeed Bailey's husband, in a serious condition and needs surgery...with that McDreamy takes him to the OR. All the while, Bailey is still searching for her husband, and everyone is covering the fact that he is in OR2.

Back to the screaming woman, who is the man with the hand in his chests wife, finally stops screaming and along with her husbands bestfriend, tell Alex what happened... it seems they were building a bazooka so that they could do a WW2 recreation, when nothing happened the husband has the bazooka pointing at him, when it finally decides to work, Alex realising the bazooka hasn't exploded, rushes to tell Burke, who is about to open the patient up, that there is live ammunition in the man's chest...Burke is stopped in time, and declares a CODE BLACK... as the word passes around Seattle Grace, and the hospital is evacuated...with the exception of the patient in question, and the young paramedic with her hand still firmly in the patients chest, Dr Bailey and OR2 with McDreamy and Bailey's husband...

George and Izzie realise they're not doers like Meredith and Cristina, and they set about doing something about that... Izzie goes to Alex in the storeroom cupboard and directs him to take off his pants, stating that it's been 8 months and several days since she's had sex...what some people do to let off steam...

When Bailey presses Addison to know where her husband is, she finally admits that he's with her husband... when we later see George go to check on Bailey, all she wants to do is get her bags and leave the hosiptal, saying she's not ready to have this baby, she's not ready for all that comes after the birth without her husband.

The bomb squad arrives, and quickly learn that OR2 is still occupied, and when Derrick is confronted and told to evacuate, he defiantly says that he is not scared of Webber and his orders to leave, or of the bomb for that matter, but he is scared of Bailey, and will not let her husband die, which is what will happen if he replaces the skull cap without repairing the damage.

Dr Milton, the anaethesiologist who is manually ventilating the patient while Hannah still has her hand in his chest, describes the "pink mist", all that is left of a person when a bomb goes off...then leaves a nervous and obviously distressed Hannah to do both manually ventilate the patient and remain still enough to keep her hand steady. When Meredith and Cristina see her start to panic, they call for help and rush into the OR, Burke and the Head of the Bomb Squad hear the calls and rush in, almost like a panicked dream sequence, Hannah begs to remove her hand, and the four try to calm her down, when all of a sudden she removes her hand and runs, as everyone hits the floor, when after what seems like forever, Cristina looks up to see Meredith standing with her hand in the patients chest cavity, as Cristina goes to move to her, and Burke to Cristina the Bomb Squad head tells everyone not to move...and back to that dream like sequence the episode opened with, we have Meredith standing along quietly whispering "what did i do" over and over again.

To say this episode blew me away is stating the obvious, i'm still sitting here thinking about it, remembering little things I missed, like near the beginning when Meredith said to McDreamy that she had a feeling, with him saying he has those too, without knowing exactly what her feeling was, but knowing enough to try and comfort her, telling her that they pass, and then Addison asking what he was doing, and McDreamy just replying "waiting for it to pass"...ahhh that was like everything and nothing at all...

I sat there shocked and stunned as the episode faded out, cursing my computer, cursing Shonda for ending it like that...cursing myself for becoming so invested in a television show, and more than that cursing the fact that I'm in Australia and have to wait til next Monday night to start to download part 2...as we havent had current Grey's episodes on our tv screens since long before Christmas...

So this is my plan, i'm going to sit here for a little while longer in front of my computer screen and try to will part 2 to just appear before my eyes, and when that doesn't happen I'm going to wait with bated breath for next Monday to roll around so that I can download part 2, and finally sit in silence, with my box of tissues, as I scream, and cry and laugh my way through another unbelieveable Grey's episode.moreless

Can we all say, \\\"WOW!\\\" Excellent episode. It\\\'s been awhile since I\\\'ve been on the edge of my seat like that. Excellent writers, excellent cast.

By entityheights, Dec 29, 2010

Can we all say, \\\"WOW!\\\" Excellent episode. It\\\'s been awhile since I\\\'ve been on the edge of my seat like that. Excellent writers, excellent cast, excellent music. This show just doesn\\\'t take a bad turn. I can\\\'t wait until next week, I know Meredith won\\\'t die, but what about Bailey\\\'s husband. I hope this week goes by fast!!

What Will Happen?

By shannonj35, Dec 29, 2010

I have to know what happens next week Please someone tell, I can't wait!!! Does Grey and McDreamle tell each other how they really fell? Will the Baby be ok and her husband? This is better than ER, I love it, the more you watch, the more you want to watch!!!

Load More Reviews