Grimm "Eyes of the Beholder" Review: It's a Wesen World After All

By MaryAnn Sleasman

Jan 11, 2014

Grimm S03E10: "Eyes of the Beholder"

Also known as "the one where everyone is a Wesen," "Eyes of the Beholder" really made me want to demand some sort of concrete answer as to just how much of Portland's population belongs to the Wesen world, because Grimm is starting to fall into this routine where it's safe to assume that any new face in any new episode is going to woge at some point, and it's getting a little bit silly. 

Juliette's college BFF, Alicia, was a Wesen. Alicia's douchey husband, Joe, was a Wesen. We had rival gangs facing off that happened to be full of Wesen. The innocent-bystander-of-the-week, Jared, was a Wesen and so was his sister, who also happened to be Hank's physical therapist/crush. Portland is a major city with a large population, so okay, fine, it has a lot of Wesen. It's just that we keep seeing these random Wesen constantly running into each other when supposedly everyone is trying to keep their Wesen status a secret. I don't know about you, but I personally don't need a shiny new Wesen every single week. I'd rather have strong stories built around the Wesen we already know. 

While "Eyes of the Beholder" was certainly an improvement over last week's mid-season premiere, my Spidey-sense is starting to tingle in a rather uncomfortable way because we have yet to hit the sweet spot that the first half of Grimm's third season nailed consistently, week after week. It's like the writers decided to save all the mediocre episodes with the weird racial undertones for January, interrupting all the good stuff to get them out of the way now in hopes that maybe we'll forget about them when the plot heats up again later on. Last week it was every Russian stereotype ever with a nod to our token Wesen historical figure, Rasputin. This week: GANGS. Roselee barfed up some exposition about Wesen drug wars because even though there are numerous socio-economical and cultural reasons for gangs to take control of any given area, Grimm apparently doesn't feel like getting as complicated and contemplative as it was when this season began, which is a shame, but I've got my fingers crossed. 

Last week's creepy cliffhanger with creepy Joe being all creepy and stalker-ish outside Nick and Juliette's home ended up being a non-issue. He apparently decided to sit around and wait all night and most of the day for Juliette to traumatize her friend—who was very clearly not interested in talking about her cute and fuzzy side—by revealing that she was shacked up with the thing that, historically, hunts down Wesen such as Alicia and Joe. Alicia freaked out. Joe thought it looked like a good time to try to murder everyone/ask Alicia to come home. Despite blowing right through Nick, Joe was momentarily thwarted by Juliette and her trusty frying pan before Nick pulled himself together and finished the smackdown. In that sense, Juliette had a bit of a bipolar episode, displaying both utter stupidity and the ability to defend herself rather than going full-on damsel. I'll take it. Juliette's ill-planned attempt to let Alicia know that she was in the know about Wesen was such an old-school Juliette moment. It was kind of sweet. Juliette is still relatively new to Grimm and Wesen, and while it's been nice to see her become a little more active in and knowledgeable about the world she now inhabits with Nick, I've always had this minor concern in the back of my mind that Juliette's increasing exposure to Wesen would result in her becoming a darker character. I'm all for Juliette continuing to be more and more of a person instead of just some romantic ideal for Nick to pine for, but on a show where so much of the story is based on folklore and fairy tales, there's certainly a place for a character who, in the face of everything, maintains some level of innate goodness. 

MEANWHILE, IN AUSTRIA...

Nada. No Adalind action this week! For shame!

AND BACK IN PORTLANDIA...

Monrosalee were presh and indulged in some frisky cello time before Juliette barged in, requesting an impromptu lesson in how to treat your Wesen friend like a closeted gay person. And Rosalee was sad about that time she was a drug addict, but then Monroe went all supportive-boyfriend on her ass and ugh love them so mu-uh-uch. 

But do Hank and Zuri have a future? I'm not so sure—what do you think?  

ALL ABOARD AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– That diner was so retro and awesome and I can't help but feel like I've seen it used somewhere else. #Help

– Not much Zombie Nick action this week. Sadface.

– Not much Renard either. Double sadface. 

What'd you think of "Eyes of the Beholder?

• Comments (129)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • dodayotahahkwane Jan 18, 2014

Well although I agree on some level with Sleasman insomuch that not everyone has to be a wesen. Poor Hank. I think the show is great. Keep up the great work and see you again Friday/ :)

• Astardis Jan 14, 2014

There is one thing I really would like to know. What do Wesen see when they look at a grimm while doing woge? It seems to be quite universal that anyone instandly recognizes a grimm even those who have never met one before.

• dodayotahahkwane Jan 18, 2014

Grimms are the bogeyman in the wesen world...pretty sure they covered that..:)

• sroberts461 Jan 14, 2014

When I first found this show I could'nt get through the first episode. Maybe that should've been a clue to leave it alone. I revisited it at a later date and started to get into it. I stick with it because I like the genre and I've gotten used to it but the format of weekly procedural (hunt the Wessen) is tiring. The sub-plots and interaction between the characters, which is what makes the show interesting for me, are taking too long to unfold over the arc of the season. Supernatural was like this at the beginning but they found a better balance particularly towards the introduction of Lilith and the Angels etc when it was at its best. As I've stayed with Supernatural for so long, suffice to say I'll be with it to the end. Grimm, on the other hand, needs to speed up the seasonal story arc or I'll be gone by the end of the season.

• rpennycuff Jan 13, 2014

I really enjoyed this episode. My favorite scene is the where Juliette and her BFF kicked the husband's ass. My favorite line is when the husband says to Nick please don't hurt me and Nick says I don't thinks it me you have to worry about. I have to say the episode Eye Of The Beholder was a really good episode. I also hate that the relationship between Hank and his physical therapist didn't work out.

• marcusj1973 Jan 13, 2014

All I can say is, UGGH!!!

So much potential I won't say pissed away, but certain unrealized. Alicia and Joe being wesen could have been a lot of fun and while Juliette going all Juliette was the culmination, I hang this one on Nick. Really, Nick? Waiting until Alicia goes to the bathroom while out for lunch and "oh, by the way'ing" Juliette with a pretty significant piece of information about one of her best friends and then telling her to "act natural"? Dummy! Don't suppose a private lunch or talking in bed would be better to give her time to absorb that piece of information. Or better yet, keep your yap shut until things played out a little?

Though Juliette going all Repunzel with the frying pan...awesome. What would have been more awesome...

Speaking of self head smashing...as soon as Zuri told her brother, "Watch your temper", I knew things weren't going to go well. I figured he wasn't The Hulk, so that means wesen. And if he's wesen, she's wesen. And if she's wesen...UGGH! I never like when a character is introduced as a love interest for almost no other reason than skin colour. I appreciate that there's not many black folks in real life Portland but there are no shortage of wesen and if interspecies dating is taboo, then how about Hank starts noticing the pretty barista or the cute rookie at the station, regardless of racial background. I know things didn't go well with Adalind, but that was a while back and dude's gotta be backed up. I am however preparing myself for the introduction of an Asian woman for Sgt. Wu {sigh}

• vcivi Jan 13, 2014

Loved the scene with Julliette and Joe...she kicked his ass " I am not impressed!' You go girl...starting to like Juliette more and more...
    I knew that her girlfriend was the same as rosalee...
    So sad for Hank....did he finally found a nice girl, is she a Wesen and have serious issues...!! You are better off Hank...!!
    It was a light Grimm this episode..that was nice for a change...

• johnmckenzie338658 Jan 13, 2014

Episode was pretty meh , but I do agree with most here that the number of Wesen is getting ridiculous ! Like its probably easier to count who ISN'T a Wesen.
    I always thought Wesen was a small minority and that is why they've always kept a low profile and went to great lengths to keep their existence a secret, but week after week it seems like Wesen are in fact the majority and that humans are the minority group lol! Also Juliette is getting better she's no longer the whiny needy biatch of previous seasons, I wouldn't say I like her but I no longer despise her :)

• BadCode Jan 13, 2014

At this point, I think the writers are just trolling us with Juliette.

• Aubrey44 Jan 12, 2014

I am all for female characters who can defend themselves, but this episode is just lazy writing. Not once have we ever seen Juliette training physically or practicing her self-defence skills, yet suddenly she can overcome a much larger male Wesen? And Wesen are supposed to be stonger and faster than regular humans, due to their animal traits.

The writers were finally starting to show us Juliette actually doing her job as a vet, and I really appreciated the episodes when Juliette's medical and biology skills proved useful. But it is pure laziness for writers to pull a rabbit out of a hat and suddenly give Juliette hand-to-hand combat skills that have not been demonstrated or even hinted at.

• tryptz Jan 12, 2014

i love Grimm BUT comon is every frigging person in Portland a Wesen now?
    And Nikes girlfriend is becoming annoying again!

• See More Comments (55)