Grimm "One Night Stand" Review: Part of Your World

By MaryAnn Sleasman

Nov 17, 2013

Grimm S03E04: "One Night Stand"

Basically, "One Night Stand" was Grimm's take on The Little Mermaid. Why does everyone seem to be doing a take on The Little Mermaid these days? IDK. But Grimm's was very good, so I'm okay with it. "One Night Stand" also continued Grimm's recent trend of contrasting the "old world" with the new one, particularly when it comes to Wesen tradition and specifically when it comes to the touchy subject of Naiad child-rearing. 

So King Triton (a.k.a. Abel Mahario) lived in a house by the water with his three daughters who looked absolutely nothing alike (nice touch, Grimm casting people) because they came from three different baby-daddies. The reason for the multiple Y chromosome contributors was (maybe probably) that Naiad males are born sterile, and some of them are really sensitive about it and come from crazy backwoods fundie clans in Alaska, like the two random dudes who'd shacked up with the Mahario fam six months earlier. 

Now, I will say, as much as I loved this episode (and I loved it a lot) there were a few details that detracted from my OMG THIS IS SO PERF sentiments. Namely, if two random dudes with alarming ideas about how the female members of their should behave—to the point where they would mutilate a woman for stepping out of line—showed up on your stoop, would YOU just invite them in? Okay. 

Also this: 

NICK: "WE WANNA TALK TO ELLIE."

KING TRITON: "Well u can't cuz she's deaf."

I... what? Well okay then. Nick doesn't know sign language and apparently Ellie is some sort of untamed animal-lady prowling the woods of the Pacific Northwest, what with her complete and total inability to communicate with anyone ever. It's not like they could've asked one of Ellie's fluent-in-sign-language family members help, found a translator back at the police station, or, you know, handed Ellie a pen and paper. Accommodations are hard. Let's just call this whole murder investigation off. 

AND: 

BLONDE MERMAID SISTER: "Stop staring at the man candy and stop being something u r not!"

Were we talking about the deaf thing or the Naiad thing? Because if we were talking about the Naiad thing, then pot, kettle, black, sista. If we were talking about the deaf thing then that's kind of messed up. Maybe we were talking about how Blonde Sister apparently puts out on the first date and Ellie sticks more to petty theft and puppy-dog eyes? 

Anyway, the bigger picture of "One Night Stand" managed to smooth over the episode's more concerning flaws by slipping comfortably into the complicated world of Wesen that Grimm has worked so hard to build. "One Night Stand" wasn't the first episode to feature forward-minded Wesen trapped by a system of traditions and customs that prevents them from living lives in the open—and hey, even if you're a Wesen who would rather keep to the old ways and avoid human contact, then that's fine, too... just cool it with the murder and stuff, you know?

It's a complicated debate: Should Wesen communities assimilate and live as "humanly" as possible, or should they stay away from mainstream society and keep on keeping on the same way they have for generations? It's a debate that isn't even exclusive to Grimm, and the fact that the series has recently started making this issue into more and more of an actual thing serves to highlight just how much Nick and his team and their weird(er) version of Portland have matured since the show debuted. 

The third season of any TV series can often end up being the sweet spot; by that point, a show usually knows what it is, and what it wants to be. It's comfortable, but it's not old, tired, or overdone. There's still a lot to be explored. There are still new ideas to put to paper. Grimm is growing increasingly secure with embracing complicated and difficult ideas that go beyond a TV show. Real communities all over the world struggle with issues of identity, with balancing the needs and wants of a community versus the needs and wants of individuals. Assimilation can be a dirty word, but so can isolation.

Grimm has bitten off a lot in just a handful of episodes this season. While Hank and Nick swam with the mermaids, Sean made some alarming (for him, at least) progress with his Royal-watching, and Juliette thinks Nick's mom is a lady-on-the-side because she was reading Nick's cryptic email like a totally non-crazy girlfriend. At least we still have Monroe and Rosalee, whose shacking-up experienced some hiccups that they handled like the awesomely perfect people that they are. Mwah. 

Basically, I can't believe this was only the fourth episode of the season. I feel like so much has happened! (In a good way.) How are you feelin' about the season so far? 

ALL ABOARD AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– The "realLittle Mermaid: SparkNotes version: Once upon a time, this captain caught a mermaid and accidentally killed her because she wouldn't talk to him about things that were none of his business, and the fact that her face was flaking off in chunks didn't seem terribly important. *swoon*

– So Nick can stay underwater for stupid-long stretches of time. Best zombie-aftermath ever? 

– Renard said no special treatment for Wesen criminals. Nick said the two Naiad dudes should've thought about the aftermath before they murdered Sexy Suitor #2. So... are they really just going to let those two dehydrate in a jail cell? 

– Sometimes the Wesen look kind of weird in their Wesen form, but the Naiad were really pretty!

– During the opening scene, did anyone else think, "So many horror films start like this"?

What'd you think of "One Night Stand"?

• Comments (99)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • svr Nov 24, 2013

Please correct me if I misunderstood, but is it possible that the 2 older naiads are pregnant now? And were they married already to the 2 Thug-Redneck-Mermen, or just engaged?

• maffy2000 Nov 23, 2013

This episode seemed too much like the one with the Coyotels (however you spell it) where the 'fundamentalists' struck out against Hank's buddy's daughter...I didn't have a problem with the younger sister (deaf) not being in on the 'try and get pregnant' business, but agree with Gislef that Portland has some serious shortages of interpreters! :) ... and I'm annoyed that there wasn't an episode on 11/21. I thought we were going to get an episode with Eis Biebers dealing with hairloss. I saw a preview, and hope they actually do that episode - even the preview was hysterical!! Lovin' those Eis Biebers... :)

• Katerine_M Nov 25, 2013

That's not a preview - you must have accidentally watched one of the 5-minute-or-so webisodes. I think there are 6 in this series, but don't quote me on that. It's been out for over a year. The entire story series is available online, although I'm not sure how to get to it, except you might start with NBC.com's Grimm page, and start from there.

Check that - I just tried, and there's a different series of webisodes available on the site, but not that one. "Bad Hair Day" is no longer available on NBC.com, which means they probably took it down and included in one of the DVD sets instead. You can still see it on YouTube, though... search grimm bad hair day web series.

• Gislef Nov 22, 2013

Besides, Portland is notoriously short on translators. Remember when they needed Juliette to translate for a Spanish suspect because apparently.... nobody in the Portland PD knew Spanish?

• nomaveck Nov 18, 2013

"It's not like they could've asked one of Ellie's fluent-in-sign-language family members help, found a translator back at the police station, or, you know, handed Ellie a pen and paper."

The family members were suspects too so they couldn't help because they couldn't be trusted. And, anyway, it was a moot point because they couldn't find Ellie. For all we know, getting a translator or just a pen and paper was their plan if they'd managed to get her down to the station.

• rajath127 Nov 18, 2013

NICK: "WE WANNA TALK TO ELLIE."

KING TRITON: "Well u can't cuz she's deaf."

I... what? Well okay then. Nick doesn't know sign language and apparently Ellie is some sort of untamed animal-lady prowling the woods of the Pacific Northwest, what with her complete and total inability to communicate with anyone ever. It's not like they could've asked one of Ellie's fluent-in-sign-language family members help, found a translator back at the police station, or, you know, handed Ellie a pen and paper. Accommodations are hard. Let's just call this whole murder investigation off.

@ Mary Ann

To be fair, her father did tell Nick/Hank that she's deaf & they need a translator to communicate with her. Secondly, she seems to be a minor (<18)... so can't take her to the station & interrogate w/o the presence of a guardian/lawyer. Third, there's nothing in the episode that suggests Naiads go to school like regular kids with their FISH skin condition & all. So, it's not that far-fetched to assume they are illiterates.

• umbala-umbala Nov 18, 2013

At the end, Hank had Heckle and Jekyll handcuffed to the dock, and Poseidon and the two girls came down to where Nick and Hank had Ellie. Who let big daddy out of jail? He had confessed to murder after all. Lots of holes in this one, but still a fun ride. No, that was not a sexist joke.

• nomaveck Nov 18, 2013

Before the whole thing at the dock went down, Hank and Nick picked apart the Dad's confession and revealed it to be false. Then the blonde daughter confessed that the killers were Heckle and Jeckle. Presumably, they let the three (Dad+blonde daughter+ginger daughter) go before they went to the pool where Jake was and then went to the dock where H&J; were. Plenty of time to let the family go from jail.

• umbala-umbala Nov 19, 2013

Makes sense to me!

• bubujin_2 Nov 18, 2013

Overall I enjoyed the episode: the introduction of the naiads, the furthering of the Monroe/Rosalee relationship, a little exposition of the events in Austria, and a little more reveal of Super Nick. But there were three scenes that just totally peeved my pants off.

First was the initial interrogation of Jake. It was totally contrived and convoluted. Why would Nick need to jump to a "Was it sexual?" question at that point in the investigation?

Next was the brief scene involving Nick and Hank briefing Renard in the hallway. There wasn't even a hint that Wesen were involved yet and the two detectives need to brief the Captain on what at this point is a rather mundane murder case that hasn't gotten very far yet. Pointless.

Also pointless was capturing Monroe to consult the Grimm books of lore in the trailer. If the naiad references had been in German then it would have made sense for him to be there, but what he was reading was in English. What a waste.

And in a cringe-worthy moment was Sgt. Wu when the team was on the dock trying to locate Jake's cell phone. Sometimes the faces Reggie Lee makes are either totally bizarre or outright laughable. Wu hoo!

• nomaveck Nov 18, 2013

First was the initial interrogation of Jake. It was totally contrived and convoluted. Why would Nick need to jump to a "Was it sexual?" question at that point in the investigation?

Totally agree. That was weird.

Next was the brief scene involving Nick and Hank briefing Renard in the hallway. There wasn't even a hint that Wesen were involved yet and the two detectives need to brief the Captain on what at this point is a rather mundane murder case that hasn't gotten very far yet. Pointless.

To be fair, they've done this sort of thing several times before. Even before everyone was in on the whole Wesen thing. Season 1 had several pedeconferences with Renard before Hank knew about Wesen and before Hank and Nick knew about Renard. Season 2 presumably had some too but I try to block out parts of it so I'm not sure. (hint: the parts with two very mind-fucked people who I will not mention by name)

Also pointless was capturing Monroe to consult the Grimm books of lore in the trailer. If the naiad references had been in German then it would have made sense for him to be there, but what he was reading was in English. What a waste.

That was a weirdly acted scene but what I got from that was that Monroe wanted Nick and Hank to take him with them so that he wouldn't have to help Rosalee with the unpacking. I'd have picked musty books over that any day so I can't blame him. But, as you say, it was a pretty pointless use of Monroe.

And in a cringe-worthy moment was Sgt. Wu when the team was on the dock trying to locate Jake's cell phone. Sometimes the faces Reggie Lee makes are either totally bizarre or outright laughable. Wu hoo!

Oh, god, yes. Most times, I love Reggie Lee. He's hilarious. But sometimes... Bizarre facial expressions are bizzare.

• bubujin_2 Nov 18, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regarding briefing Renard: You're absolutely correct that this sort of thing has happened previously. I guess what stuck out to me was no segue into it. Often there is some sort of Nick-Hank discussion in the outer office before touching base with Renard. In this episode that didn't happen and suddenly there were our two detectives with the Captain for no compelling reason.

• nomaveck Nov 19, 2013

It was fun to reply! I liked your points.

Huh. Now that I think about it, you're right. There's usually some sort of pre-briefing briefing between Hank and Nick.

(rewatches that part)

Oh. Okay. The scene we're talking about - the pedeconference - occurs right after the scene where Nick, Hank, and Jake were at the lake and Ellie escapes by diving into the water and coming up fifty feet away.

In the briefing with Renard, Nick says: "The girl I saw go into the river was a lot more than a girl when she got into the water." So the first briefing scene definitely occured when Nick (and Hank, probably) already suspected Wesen involvement although they didn't know exactly what she was. In this case, going directly to Renard when there's a Wesen involved is completely natural. (He might know what they are, after all.) On a normal non-Wesen related case, the lack of Hank/Nick discussionwould definitely be off.

• nomaveck Nov 23, 2013

There's no way Jake would have been able to determine that with any certainty,

Oh, totally! When he came up to Nick and Hank and identified her, I was raising my eyebrows at him and saying out loud: "Oh, come on! You barely saw her, Jack! I mean, Jake."

• bubujin_2 Nov 20, 2013

(Re-watches scene as well)

Thanks for setting me straight. In my over-tired state I forgot Ellie made an appearance at the lake and demonstrated super swimming prowess. So when the detectives are briefing Renard and Nick reports the oddity witnessed, the scene and Renard's direction really are not out of place here.

That said, I did catch one procedural goof at that lake scene. As shown, Nick barely catches a glimpse of Ellie who is obscured by trees/brush and sees mostly her backside as he chases her. After swimming away Hank comes running up followed by Jake who states that it looked like the same girl that rescued him. There's no way Jake would have been able to determine that with any certainty, unless going by her swimming shirt and surf shorts being exactly the same as the day before (which I didn't watch closely myself).

• edge1710 Nov 17, 2013

I didn't think of this before but now that we had the armistice memorial behind us, is Grimm this season gonna be a WW1 metaphor.
    I mean when Renard was watching the news about his killed brother he was referred to as a Kronenburg crown prince of the Kronenburg empire. His burial is in Vienna. So I assume the republic of Austria doesn't exist in the Grimm universe and is replaced by the Kronenburg empire. So Kronenburg is Austria-Hungary then maybe Sean Renard is Franz Ferdinand and then we have a war comming.

• svr Nov 24, 2013

Wow! Great Observation! You just blew my mind! I better go brush up on my history. :)

• vcivi Nov 17, 2013

This was a good episode. One that did involve other wesens again. Loved the whole mermaid idea behind it, whens he rescued that guy. But those two other creppy guys, were not so fun.
    Nick is a SUPER grimm...part being a zombie like thing...like spending that much time in the water..funny that everybody sees his dead skin, but he doesn't feeel a thing.
    Who is M?????

• cecylia248 Nov 17, 2013

M is Mother...Nick's mom...sorry Nick's bad*** mom!!

• umbala-umbala Nov 18, 2013

agreed

• Katerine_M Nov 17, 2013

Really liked this episode. And I just want to give a quick shout-out to one of the unsung scenes in this ep - the interrogation of Abel. It was logical and intelligent, I loved seeing Nick and Hank work off of each other, and I could really see this happening in the RW. Very nicely done. I may be in the minority here, but I initially saw Grimm as one part fantasy/mythology, and one part cop procedural... and I like both parts equally. Nice to see the "cop procedural" part done right. :)

--

Regarding:
    "BLONDE MERMAID SISTER: "Stop staring at the man candy and stop being something u r not!"

Were we talking about the deaf thing or the Naiad thing? Because if we were talking about the Naiad thing, then pot, kettle, black, sista. If we were talking about the deaf thing then that's kind of messed up. Maybe we were talking about how Blonde Sister apparently puts out on the first date and Ellie sticks more to petty theft and puppy-dog eyes? "

Actually, I think she was referring to the fact that Elly will never be one of "them" - human. Neither will blonde mermaid sister, but blonde mermaid sister doesn't want to be "one of them." Blonde mermaid sister is using Jake as a sperm donor, nothing more. After she's done with him, she'll go back to her arranged marriage to a naiad man, and live the rest of her life in her secluded naiad community. Elly, OTOH, fancies herself in love with Jake, and is probably fantasizing about spending the rest of her life with him. Blonde girl is basically telling her, "get real, it's not going to happen."

--

Nick really comes from a wonderful lineage, doesn't he? Such upstanding people.

• See More Comments (37)