Grimm "Revelation" Review: Inglorious Wesen

By MaryAnn Sleasman

Mar 01, 2014

Grimm S03E13: "Revelation"

Grimm is back! Oh Grimm, I missed you! I missed you so much even though I thought the last few episodes before your Olympics hiatus were kind of meh. 

And it's okay, because "Revelation" was the sort of purely awesome episode that Grimm needed to remind us of why this season has been generally great, and to make us forget about that weird period of mediocrity between Christmas and now. 

"Revelation" has the distinction of being one of those episodes of Grimm—or any show, really—where a ton of big, serious, important stuff happens, yet while all the realness is going down, we're laughing because there's also a lot of understated and genuinely funny humor thrown into the mix. Like Nick brandishing a knife at dinner when the Wesen at the table started acting up. 

The only glaring weak spot that I noticed (along with a few of y'all) was that Monroe randomly got all pissy about Nick only calling him when he needs help on a case; that's just not true. Grimm has long made it clear that Monroe and Nick are actually very good friends, and we've seen them hanging out just for funzies, or mutually helping one another out, a couple times. I'll chalk up Monroe's to Nick visiting at a really bad time. Dude was stressed. 

As of the conclusion of "Revelation," Monroe's ultra-traditional parents still aren't really on board with Monrosalee, but they're at least willing to work on that. Sort of. We saw that they're not SO rigid in their beliefs that they'd complete reject their son based on his life choices and OMG Grimm with the obvious parallels between progressive Wesen versus traditional Wesen and their real-life human counterparts. When did this show get so thoughtful and deep? Its like one day the writers just woke up and realized, "Hey, audiences might be more receptive to stories about hot-button topics like mixed-race marriages and alternative lifestyles since we're not actually writing those stories about humans or human societies," which is basically how sci-fi and speculative fiction came into existence in the first place. You can defy the establishment all you want when you're not technically writing about the establishment that you live in. 

Anywho, while Momma and Poppa Blutbad still aren't 100 pecent Team Monrosalee and the road for those two crazy kids is far from clear at this time, I have a good feeling. I think they're going to be fine. For all their blathering on about tradition, it's obvious that Monroe's parents care more about their son and his happiness than their narrow worldview, and that's a huge step in the right direction for everyone involved. 

MEANWHILE, IN VIENNA...

Renard thinks the monster baby is his. Renard thinks the monster baby is his! Renard thinks the monster baby is his!!!

I mean... I think we all assumed it was his anyway, but it's nice to have confirmation, or at least something close to confirmation. Renard can stake a claim all he wants, but he and Adalind should probably book an appearance on Maury just to be sure, especially since the kid is supposed to be the Antichrist or something. 

Operating under the assumption that he is Adalind's baby-daddy, Renard arranged a hasty escape for Adalind when he got word that Stefania was working with the Royals to something-something-evil-and-nefarious-something-something because none of us saw that coming either, amiright? Adalind's escape itself featured some zany rom-com antics, like a pretend booty-call and the incredibly smart blonde playing dumb in front of the bad guys and then the monster baby itself slaughtering the aforementioned baddies with it's brain while still in utero. Okay, maybe not so much that last part. 

And then Adalind went into labor. ROLL CREDITS. SEE U NEXT WEEK, SUCKAS.

I was pretty excited for Grimm to return this week even after the blah episodes that led up to the Olympics and then several weeks to stew over the blah (those weeks were ultimately filled with lust for Johnny Weir's headgear and entirely too many documentaries about Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding). Now that Grimm has returned, and with an episode that went a long way toward energizing the audience and reinvigorating a storyline that had seemingly stalled, I AM SO PUMPED. How about you?

ALL ABOARD AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– When the royal lackey smacked Adalind's preggo tummy: WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU? 

– "This was one of my favorite books as a kid. The Grimm gets OBLITERATED." <3 Monroe.

– "This wedding stuff is pretty exciting!" OMG SHUT UP JULIETTE.

– Nick still has his zombie superpowers right? Somewhere?

• Comments (110)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Katerine_M Mar 07, 2014

Just wanted to quickly mention the one thing I really didn't like about this episode (since I already raved about everything I did like):

Umm... Makeup people... what happened?

• gzeigler3 Mar 04, 2014

Yes, why didn't zombie Nick show up during the Battle Royale with the scalping wesen?!?! I was sitting there yelling at the TV, "Come on zombie Nick. Anytime now zombie Nick. Where are you zombie Nick?" Completely confused as how when he needed his zombie powers most, they don't appear.

• Katerine_M Mar 06, 2014

I actually disagree that this was when he needed his zombie powers most. I think that's actually the worst thing that could have happened to him when facing three Wildesheer, and it's very lucky for him that it didn't happen. :)

Think about it - the first thing that happens when his "zombie superpowers" surface is that he temporarily dies. Which involves going very, very still, and losing time (much like somebody who's prone to petite-mal seizures, plus... dying). And then he gets super-strong and super-fast for a few seconds, but that's only after dying for a few seconds.

A few seconds, during which the Wildesheer could easily have scalped him. It's not like with Krampus, who was trying to strangle him at the time (so the "dying" was actually an advantage, as he didn't need to breathe). In this case, he needed to remain active at all times, so that he could respond quickly whenever the Wildesheer came at him.

That said, I wish we had seen a resurfacing of the fighting skills we saw during the Jinnmaru Xunte (the Fly) episode (S2E15). Or, for that matter, the super-hearing that he developed during that episode. The fighting skills would have been awesome to watch and very useful to Nick (especially in this fight, where guns don't work), and the super-hearing would have come in handy just after they heard the thunder, but before the Wildesheer rushed him.

• jenrose72 Mar 04, 2014

I don't think he has any control over it whatsoever, and I wish they would take an episode to explore how to tap into his super-strength instead of letting it pop up at random times. This aspect of him is way too interesting to just let it peter out, and if the writers pay any attention at all to this blog they know they need to do something with it.

• gzeigler3 Mar 04, 2014

Yep. Exactly.

• raymundf Mar 04, 2014

I think what brought back the Wildesheer was the imminent birth of Adalind's baby. The Wildesheer were collecting scalps in order to increase their strength. They wouldn't do that unless they sensed something coming which would not only be more powerful than they are but also a likely threat. So the return of the Wildesheer to their old ways was more of a defensive reaction and an act of fear of something they have never encountered. This leads me to believe that Adalind's baby may not be just a hybrid between a Hexenbiest and a Royal-Zauberbiest, but given the Grimm blood that Adalind ingested, part-Grimm. The child is already manifesting telekenetic powers even from inside the womb which makes you wonder just how powerful he or she will be. Given this, the birth of Adelind's child will be a major game changer for the show with Sean Renard and the Resistance, the Royals and even the Wessen Council fighting to control the child.

• JenMo73 Mar 03, 2014

Yes welcome back Grimm! Great episode! My thought on Zomick (nick/zombie) is that it'll back. It's got to right? Why dangle the thread if you're not going to do anything with it. That would be unlike the Grimm writers to do that. When it does Rosalee needs to be the one who sees it not Juliette. She'll be all over it!

• Super_Dooper Mar 03, 2014

I kinda feel like Munro's dad and his 'end of the world' speech may be, like, an overreaction? Only because his parents seem to be the most extreme of extreme believers of tradition and stuff, so maybe Munro's grandfather would be the same. I think it would make it easier to change the outcome of a plot line if perhaps the 'end of the world' just turned out to be a few people dying or something.

• olavaudun Mar 03, 2014

Can^t help it, I love this show :-)

• WillieNg Mar 03, 2014

Anyone curious whats with the ritual Rosalee and Monroe's Mom did? ... and whats the outcome?

• Super_Dooper Mar 03, 2014

Maybe it was like, sharing each other's scents. I know cats have glands or whatever that put their scent on things and one of them is at the neck, so maybe that's what they were doing (seems like quite a personal thing to do, which validates Rosalee's 'Whoa' reaction).

On a related note, I've never been sure, but I get that Munro is like a wolf/dog. But is Rosalee a cat? Or a mouse? I think it's been mentioned before in one of these reviews, and when I look at her she kinda looks like a cat, but I've never been certain.

• Katerine_M Mar 03, 2014

Rosalee's a fox. Or, at least, that's heavily implied by the name of her species: Fuchsbau. Fuchsbauer also have some "fox"-like personality characteristics (the first time we hear of Fuchsbauer, Monroe is telling Nick that Freddy is Fuchsbauer, so watch your hand if you take anything from him).

I mentioned this in another comment, but I think the ritual is about each woman simultaneously getting her mouth right next to the other's throat. I think it's a trust exercise. That would help explain why they were both so hesitant about doing it - there was a significant risk.

• Super_Dooper Mar 04, 2014

Ahhhhh this makes so much more sense now! Thanks.

• jenrose72 Mar 03, 2014

I was really disappointed there wasn't an appearance of leftover zombie powers...*sigh* and I was starting to get bored with the whole 'Adalind is having an apocolypse baby' thing until the kid stabbed a royal flunkie in the eye! I love the family dynamic going on, they put the 'fun' in 'dysfunctional'! Welcome back, Grimm, we missed you badly :)

• rpennycuff Mar 03, 2014

In my opinion this episode was another really good one. Even though Adiland was and is evil I hope everything goes well with the pregnancy and birth of her child. I also liked that Monroe's parents are willing to give Rosalee a chance.

• MichelleHood24 Mar 03, 2014

Best episode in along time since zombie nick. I loved it I just not sure about Adeline's baby " ending the world " I just hope they handle it well. I loved all the roselle and Monroe scenes, the only thing that really pissed me off in this fantastic episode was when Juliette was borderline sooking about Nick going after the wessen that annoyed me she needs to be way more supportive and either get out of they way or help without complaining.

• See More Comments (59)