Grimm "The Inheritance" Review: No Grimm Is an Island

By MaryAnn Sleasman

May 10, 2014

Grimm S03E21: "The Inheritance" 

Josh, the devoid-of-Grimm-superpowers freak in his family, inadvertently raised an interesting point during his mad hunt for Nick in "The Inheritance." When his Grimm father realized he was dying and needed to bequeath his trunk o' awesome and his coveted magical monster key to another Grimm, he turned to Nick because Nick was the only one he could find. We know there are other Grimm out there, and Josh's father also probably knew that Nick wasn't the only Grimm willing to take on the inheritance, but Nick was the one he could most easily track down. 

Even though meeting Josh and his father was ultimately a positive experience for Nick, the fact that he was so findable harkens back to Aunt Marie's warnings about building a life in one place and Kelly Burkhardt's good-intentioned absenteeism. This time, it was just a fellow Grimm looking for one last ally in Nick, but Nick's lack of mobility, or even some sort of alias or secret identity, makes Nick and his loved ones a target. While it's true that he doesn't exactly broadcast his night job to everyone, we've learned that honestly, if you're a Wesen or a Grimm in Portland, you'll probably know Nick when you see him, and if you wanna call some friends and organize some havoc-wreaking against Detective Burkhardt for whatever reason, well, feel free—he's not going anywhere. 

We've seen Nick and his associates targeted before, repeatedly, but this is the first time in awhile that Grimm has openly acknowledged the ease with which Nick can be found and his prominence in Grimm/Wesen circles—even with regard to individuals who've never actually interacted with him, or who are particularly active in this secret world. 

I like to think this means we're gearing up for something crazy, particularly with Trubel's observation (and OMG that name is so annoying, why can't we just call her Theresa?) that there's something kind of freaky and mysterious about how three Grimm were randomly brought together to be in the same place at the same time in Portland. 

"The Inheritance" featured quite a few callbacks to the Season 2 and early Season 3 storylines that were relegated to the back burner during Adalind's baby drama and homicidal European road trip. The Verrat—hench-Wesen to the Royals—returned to Portland, as did the mysterious map-making keys that the Royals want to get their hands on so badly. Renard put Wu in charge of tailing Adalind, and there was much holding-of-the-breath and wondering what the hell Renard was thinking in tasking the dangerously-close-to-knowing-the-truth Wu with stalking Renard's pissed-off Wesen baby momma. 

Speaking of Adalind, she's back in the full-evil groove with the disappearance of Baby Diana, and it's delicious and sad because things really didn't have to be this way. I eye-rolled at the fact that she's once again going to get to Nick through Juliette (or try to, anyway) because it's been such a good season for Juliette to not be a hostage, weak link, or otherwise sucktastic damsel—and also because Adalind and Juliette's begrudging truce during Adalind's time with the Burkhardts showed that Adalind had a lot of the potential to grow and evolve. 

There's certainly still hope for Adalind; after all, her new thirst for carnage is driven by a terrible loss and a lot of misinformation painting a very wrong picture in her mind. But like I said, it didn't have to be this way. 

However, Grimm's theme for most of its third season has run with the belief that nothing has to stay in a fixed position—from Grimm/Wesen relations to Wesen cultures and traditions to the personal choices that the individuals who inhabit this world make and live by. After years of aloofness, Kelly is finally experiencing something that sort of resembles a relationship with her son. Despite her apprehention, Adalind took to motherhood like a natural. Monroe and Rosalee, after quietly defying Wesen stereotypes for a long time, have decided to go public with their beliefs and get married. 

With only one episode left, Season 3's various threads are beginning to come together, and to form a cohesive picture amid all the chaos. "The Inheritance" excelled at giving that chaos focus as we head into the season finale. Earlier this year, I was concerned about the potential disruption to Grimm's momentum with all those WTF breaks in the second half of the season, and I'm not about to say that they were okay because WTF, but... in the end, Grimm's momentum is just fine. 

ALL ABOARD AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– Every time anyone calls Trubel for anything, I feel like they're summoning a pet. 

– Damn, that Renard is FINE. 

– Lol @ Rosalee losing her shit at wedding vendors. 

– "One key closer... to who knows what." It's true. The key thing has been going on since last season and we're still no closer to having any idea what they mean or what they're for... and yet somehow, it works. 

– What are your predictions and/or wants for next week's season finale? I really hope the Juliette stuff isn't annoying and that Trubel gets a new nickname that doesn't make my eye twitch anytime someone uses it. 

• Comments (136)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • sputnik1 May 17, 2014

I've never posted here but I've watched every episode of Grimm since the pilot aired. I have mixed feelings about the show. I feel like it has potential that it never really reaches; ironic seeing as it gets much better viewing figures than Hannibal, which is on right after it, and in my opinion has much better writing.

• Giuntoli still seems wooden to me. He has maybe two emotions, and I don't really sense much of a chemistry between him and Juliette. He has moments, but on the whole Silas Weir Mitchell is the actor I enjoy watching when the two are on screen together. Giuntoli is basically stern and stoic all the time, which I would understand for a lead character with a responsibility like his, but it makes him incredibly boring. He stays that way even when he's home cooking dinner with Juliette. Jesus, lighten up.

• The writing seems lazy at times. Look out for the next time you hear Nick say, usually to Monroe or Rosalee and usually every 1-2 episodes, "Just do this for me until I can figure out what to do". Oh okay, you mean until the writers can figure out what to do. How to tie up this loose end. And that's another issue. Loose ends. There are so many of them. What the f*** happened with Nick becoming all heightened with his senses after the zombie phase. I feel like they just brought in the zombie thing to have awesome promos for the Season 2 Finale and boost the ratings for like one episode, and have an interesting cliffhanger to promote Season 3. Who the hell are the Royals, and if they're so goddamn revered and scary shouldn't they have some kind of Wesen power of their own? How hard is it to come up with what the keys' treasure is? Here's three off the top of my head: 1) a ring that gives the wearer Grimm abilities; 2) a gem that unlocks a virtually unkillable Wesen that is trapped in the blood of all Royals; 3) an old book that reveals that Grimm were actually once vicious Wesen themselves that were cursed by human proto-Hexenbiest witches after they massacred a village, and the curse gave them the ability to feel empathy for humans and see other Wesen when no one else can, and effectively turned them into 'ambassadors' of human-Wesen contact for hundreds of years -- they then ruined this power by slowly starting to vilify, massacre and decapitate Wesen instead. A good production team could turn any of these into a viable plot line.

• On the writing again, I understand the whole 'Monster of the Week' thing the show seemed to start with way back in Season 1. That's fine for lots of shows, including classics like Buffy. But it's for those with a short attention span. Not to mention there were some lame as f*** Wesen, like the bees in the 2nd episode (should have fired that writer immediately) but hey ho, not every one is going to be a winner. There weren't all that many long story arcs, and I'm pleased that there are a few now. But I do feel like I'm waiting for that moment when the show hits its stride and becomes really good.

Going to stop now because I could go on about this for a while.

• JenMo73 May 16, 2014

Is it Friday yet?! I'm late to the party and finally watched it! Renard....WOW! Thanks for the eye candy! However no shirt doesn't excuse the fact he didn't call Nick. A simple, "Hey Adalind is up to something. Watch out." That might be helpful! As for Trubel she kicked some major ass and seems to be more aggressive than Nick. I think it's because she has had to survive. She's been running wild and has only had instinct to guide her. She has also been killing longer than Nick. I feel that Nick is mentally holding back because he is a police officer and he would be just as deadly if he'd just let go. Like when he was Zombie'd.....he was insanely powerful. Also it seems something major is going down. It's like there's energy bringing the Grimms to Portland. Kinda like how the Hellmouth in Buffy drew evil. Oh and how do you bring in the actor that plays "Holland Manners" just to have him die? I love that guy! I'm actually hoping that his son Josh develops into a Grimm. I feel like season four will be a battle and Nick is going need all the help he can get.....especially if Trubel is "Faith" to Nick's "Buffy".

• Tuxguy4459 May 13, 2014

The most frustrating thing about Grimm is the fact that if Nick and Renard would actually SHARE information a lot of these things just wouldn't happen.. Oh Adalind breaks into Nicks house, I catch her with Juliettes dress and hair, she knocks me out with a vase... Im gonna clean it up like it never happened and not mention this to anyone........

• WildPict May 12, 2014

This was a cool episode. Trubel is beginning to grow on me, but I'm not quite ready to trust her yet; she's still a bit of a wild card.

Renard is hot! And Adalind is messing the only people who've been willing to let bygones be bygones. She is such an overdone cliche bad witch.

Rosalee needs a spa day...and some xanax.

Why isn't Nick whaling on the Verrat the way Trubel does? We know he has it in him, he's just not using it yet.

• tctems May 12, 2014

Reynard has been working out!
    That body was looking AMAZING!

• JenMo73 May 16, 2014

I had to pick my chin up off the floor!!!!!

• DrAries May 12, 2014

What I don't understand is that Renard is half royal/ half hexenbeist but we didn't saw him show any special powers or ability although Adalind and her mother were mortally frightened of him in the beginning but this season he seems weak and helpless ,he even admitted to being afraid of Adalind
    And the Royal Family What are they? Are they humans or wessens ?

• googlehoop May 11, 2014

It's unfortunate that Adalind is planning to hunt down Nick and Juliette again. And all because she thinks it will get her baby back. Renard really needs to warn Nick...especially after seeing Juliette's hair he must have some idea what is going on. I think the show redeemed Juliette's character by putting her in the know, and I hate to see that destroyed by making her a victim again.

• BosleyMcGilla May 11, 2014

Juliette dies? Please...

• MichelleHood24 May 11, 2014

Geez Renard is yummy. A solid episode trublel is a great asset to nicks little gang and I think he needs her just as much as she needs him, I'm getting used to her character and starting to trust that she is there to help. God Adalind I swear what are you up to and really Renard why not warn nick that was just a stub I'd move you know exactly what she's like. I can't wait for next week.

• telytubie May 11, 2014

I like Trubel in that she's street-smart and quick witted. How often if ever you see on TV someone who delivered all the important points in one phone call without beating around the bush?

We know the Royal already have 4 keys, that leaves 1 more key out there. Assuming those 4 grimm families have been killed for the keys, my best bet is it's with Trubel family. I agree that it's no coincidence 3 grimms are brought together in one place. Now that Trubel has come to understand the significant of her family heritage, maybe she'll set out to track down her family root to find her key after all this is done.

I'm still not convince grimm power is passed on after a grimm died. Nick mentioned something about recessive gene. I think it may be triggered if one inherited the gene but it's either you have it or you don't, rather than pass on. Both Aunt Marie and Kelly came into their power while their grimm father was still alive and kicking as he took them out for hunt and trained them.

Okay... after 3 seasons, we're suddenly shown hexenbeist has telekinetic power, huh? How convenient! Or is there something freaky going on with Adalind that even she doesn't know yet? For the sake of writers' credibility, I hope it's the later.

I don't get why anyone would think telling Adalind the truth would ever be a good idea given the nasty basic nature of hexenbeist. It's a no-win situation no matter what they did because Adalind will still do ANYTHING to get what SHE wants.... neither motherhood nor 'truth' is going to change her basic nature which is going to be a really bad influence especially on a baby with such power as Diana. The simple fact is only a fool will trust her!

Nick losing his grimm power may be Viktor intention to make things easier for his goons, would it be too much to hope the attempt will backfire and which leads to 'catastrophic events'? After all, Nick's wesen poison in him that already changed him in some way. I'd like to think that still mean something to the writers, unlike Adaline's contract!

It's funny to think while Nick & co never expect Adalind to be anything but nasty, whatever damage she's going to cause, she's still ultimately the loser no matter what, she just doesn't know yet!

• googlehoop May 11, 2014

Thanks for the summary re the keys. I had forgotten how many there were, and who had possession of them.

• See More Comments (60)