Grimm Season 3 Finale Review: Wedding Crashers

By MaryAnn Sleasman

May 17, 2014

Grimm S03E22: "Blond Ambition"

Rosalee and Monroe's wedding day finally arrived—and as predicted, Nick's Grimm bullsh*t pretty much ruined it. 

All this could have been mostly avoided by telling Adalind, our monster baby momma, where her freaking offspring was... or at least where it wasn't. I ain't even mad at her, though I reserve the right to change my mind if Renard bites it when Grimm returns for Season 4. At least Creepy Wesen FBI Agent is no more. 

The parallels in "Blond Ambition" ran deep: Nick and Trubel compared their lonely childhoods; the old-school ways of Monroe's parents stood alongside Monrosalee's modern marriage (and no one got hurt until Trubel showed up); and Adalind returned to her old ways, terrorizing Juliette as a means to an end before presumably running off to Europe yet again on some misguided mission. Whereas Grimm's Season 2 finale seemingly killed all of Nick—temporarily—"Blond Ambition" chose to subdue only one aspect of our "hero": his Grimm powers, mirroring Adalind's own experience with losing her powers to Nick. 

Adalind was a busy lady in this episode, which was both awesome and a little tedious at times. I don't think any of us wanted yet another drawn-out Nick-and-Juliette angstfest, and if they'd broken up yet again as a result of Nick's icky infidelities with Adalindiette, my enthusiasm for this finale probably would've been greatly decreased. At full three seasons in, Grimm is still too young to start repeating itself, and yes, sure, Adalind going all evil on Juliette and Nick isn't exactly new territory, but her intentions are noble and everyone kind of had it coming. Don't mess with the Hexen-momma, you know? Adalind was downright sweet when she had Diana in tow. 

But of course, like so many TV weddings, Rosalee and Monroe's just had to be interrupted. First Rosalee's sister got trashed and destroyed the gown. Then Trubel burst onto the scene to warn Nick about the one, possibly two corpses of law enforcement officials in his house—at exactly the moment when half the guest list was in mid-woge and totally saw her scary soulless Grimm eyes. But at least it wasn't Nick who was outed, I guess? 

Poor Monroe and Rosalee aren't even fazed by this crap anymore. I bet they pulled themselves together and went back to bouquet-tossing and cake-fighting as soon as the posse pulled out of the parking lot. 

Also unfazed was Juliette herself, who was totally unamused and annoyed by the latest interruption to her personal life by Grimm problems. She's come a long way from Flailing Damsel origins. Now that we're looking at yet another example of Nick's night job compromising the safety and happiness of the people he cares about, we have to start drawing the comparisons between Nick's way of living as a Grimm and his mother and aunt's methods. Kelly Burkhardt faked her death and essentially abandoned Nick in order to keep him safe, and Aunt Marie warned Nick against keeping ties to Juliette once his Grimm traits began to manifest. A Grimm's life is a lonely one, and while we've seen numerous examples of how that can go wrong, most recently with last week's episode, maybe sometimes the old way can't be helped, and shouldn't be helped. 

How many more disruptions must the bystanders in Nick's life endure? Season 3 showed a decided shift in the attitudes of many of Nick's allies. Rosalee and Monroe—especially Rosalee—voiced concern about Nick's endless need for their assistance, and how often that assistance has put them at odds with the Wesen Council. Juliette is so over all of this; from Adalind to Trubel to Renard, she's just done. 

Elsewhere, while answering Trubel's 911 call, Wu stumbled across some jarring Grimm literature in Nick's house that brought back memories of his first tangle with a Wesen—and they weren't good ones. Nick's refusal to tell Wu the truth about what Wu saw led to Wu's time in the psych ward. And even though Wu is made out of sunshine and awesomeness, if I were him, I'd be pretty pissed at Nick right now. 

I don't mean to condemn Nick's life choices or take the side of one type of Grimm existence over another. Nick's refusal to live in the shadows, despite his birthright, parallels the plight of those Wesen we've met throughout the seasons who defy their own upbringings to live in the open. And given Grimm's attitude thus far with regard to conservative Wesen versus progressive ones, I think the official stance is clear. Change is good. 

However, change isn't easy, and Nick's recent mistakes will make that change even harder still. Without his powers, without Renard—the only other party here who really knows what's going on—and potentially without the allies he's counted on time and time and time again over the last few years, the Grimm that returns in the fall could be a much more spartan version of the collaborative effort we've grown accustomed to.

ALL ABOARD AUNT MARIE'S BOOKMOBILE OF CRAZY

– What's on your Season 4 wishlist? Honestly, Trubel has grown on me—we just gotta do something about that nickname. 

– Will Renard survive? 

– How pissed is Wu right now? 

– The glasses idea at the wedding was actually pretty clever. Too bad no one bothered to tell Trubel about the wedding full of Wesen.

– So many conflicts on this show could be avoided with some simple communication. 

– Catty bridal judginess time: Y'all paid $7,200 for that? Rosalee's earrings, however, were fabulous. And Juliette's red coat. And Juliette's clutch. Someone needs to tell Trubel that the under-eye eyeliner is so Warped Tour 2004. 

– I'm really sad about the state of Adalind and Renard. :( 

– I'm also sad that we didn't get another Baby Diana sighting before the season wrapped up. Oh well. 

– What did you think of the finale? And the season as a whole? While I think that last year's zombiefest was a little more ZOMG crazypants as far as season finales go, I really enjoyed this season overall and I can't wait for Season 4 to build on it. See you then! Thanks for reading! <3

• Comments (232)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • nbgooner Jul 15, 2014

With Trubel the only Grimm in a central role with powers at present the showered has the potentially to become a watered down version of Buffy. I don't feel this is Nicks fault more than it is a consequence of being part of that world. Although Wu is going to be mighty upset.

• Copioli Jun 10, 2014

I like Trubel but I am worried the show is going to focus in her and reduce powerless Nick to a retired Obi Wan function.

• CherokeeRose4 Jun 08, 2014

This season finale was kind of blah compared to the three episodes before it.

Though, I did cheer & clap when Wu came across the book. I mean I wasn't happy that Wu was being traumatized yet again but YAY for him seeing that he's not insane. I look forward to seeing what comes of this.

I like Trubel. She reminds me a lot of Bullet from The Killing. Not just in looks but her attitude as well. And she's going to need to stick around for awhile now that Nick has no powers.

And, for Nick, losing his Grim-ness might be worse than death. He just lost everything that has defined him the last few years. Though it wasn't a finale that had me on the edge of my seat, I'm excited to see what's next.

• karenikline Jun 06, 2014

I refuse to watch this show if that extremely fertile Hexenbeast is having a Grimm baby. I just can't take it.

• karenikline Jun 06, 2014

I can't help but ask, after all that Adalind has done to Nick and the gang, why is she still around? Kill her off already. Her character is painful to watch.

• Nightgroper Jun 05, 2014

You do realize that she only had that child because she wanted more power, right? Her "love" for it is not as real as many in the show want us to believe.
    The only reason she didn't run to an abortion clinic is because it was of royal blood. When she found that out she immediately set about using it as a bargaining chip at every turn.
    The only reason she most likely wants it now is to keep it's power for herself. So this whole maternal love bullshit the show is pulling, I can't buy for one second when every time we see Adalind she is always trying to be a backstabbing whore, literally.
    Not to mention she is by far the show's dumbest, intelligence wise, character. She never thinks anything through, and will always follow someone else's orders.
    Yeah she was a real "bad ass" this episode, doing what she was told to do, and then not even getting any real proof of life to do it. Moron.

• telytubie May 20, 2014

I agree with Katerine_M..... I don't get why everything that went wrong and Adalind's bad deeds have to be Nick's fault. Why? because he's the grimm? Nick has never made a sole decision when it concerned others.

-- In Wu case, they discussed the problem and it's 3 against 1.... if Monroe and Rosalee had sided with Hank, I've no doubt Nick would go along with it however reluctant. The fact is Nick didn't make the decision alone so why is he being single out?

-- Renard let Nick decided what to do with his kid and Adalind? Seriously? In fact, Nick did ask Renard if he's sure he wanted to do this and brought up the Royal issue of which Renard shrugged it off. People are giving Nick way too much credit and power I say.

It's amusing how people assumed since not telling the truth caused chaos and ill effect, then telling the truth has to bring peace and HEA! How do we know? Truth is that's not what the writers wanted.

Adalind being *Adalind*, one can only expect her to turn around anytime and bite the hand that helps her whenever it suits her agenda, as she's doing now with Nick. The only truth with her is she'll do ANYTHING to get what she wants.... there lies the biggest risk, no 'truth' nor motherhood can change what she is. Blaming Nick for what she did is like blaming him for what she's always been. The real tragedy is having to deal with her.

Besides, did anyone notice what happened at Monroe house? Diana screamed even louder when Adalind tried to hold her closer and then promptly calm down once Kelly appeared. The look on Adalind's face said it all.... No, I don't think it'll sit well with her to know Kelly has the baby. Kelly having Adalind along can only mean she's going to have to sleep with one eye opens. Telling her the truth is only going to give her specific target to mess with at her whim.

I'd like to think there's a point to that scene, so I'm going to speculate that Adalind frenzy over losing the baby may have been intensified by what's in that contract. I hope we see Stefania again in S4 now that Adalind is heading there. She has a lot to explain.

• B-a-n-e May 20, 2014

Still not loving Trubel. I agree that a bit of communication would have likely solved most of the issues. Remarkable how no one leaves voice messages... Still wondering what happened to super zombie Nick (I guess that is a plot that just wandered off into the woods to die?). For Season 4, I think they'll need to move to emphasize the serial elements of the show. Nick wandering around encountering random Wessen is getting a bit tired. Of course, the situation with Wu will likely evolve and Nick may have a new Captain, at least for a while, which will stir things up on that front.

• Katerine_M May 19, 2014

I strongly disagree, btw, that anything Adalind did was Nick's fault. For several reasons:

1) Normally, I'm not in favor of advancing the plot by having the characters keep secrets in spite of all common sense, but in this case, there actually were several very good reasons not to tell Adalind the truth about Diana. The entire point was to give Diana a good upbringing, away from Viktor, so that Diana doesn't grow up evil and destroy the world. Viktor would have been watching Adalind. And obviously, Adalind was obsessed with staying with Diana, so if she'd known the truth, she would have gone after Kelly, and Viktor would have found them. There's no other possibility; that is precisely what would have happened, if Adalind had known the truth.

2) After everything that Adalind had done to Nick, Hank, and Juliette, Nick didn't owe Adalind anything. And yet, he helped her. He was (eventually) willing to let her stay with him, and then helped find her a place to stay. And they arrived at a sort of truce during all that, when Nick really didn't need to - he and Juliette and Hank were the injured parties.

3) Adalind was desperate, so I don't really blame her for not realizing this, but she really should have recognized the signs of Viktor just stringing her along. Even if Viktor did actually have Diana, she should have known that Viktor was just going to keep stringing her along, milking her for all she's worth, and then maybe, at the end, letting her see her daughter. Or he might just kill Adalind. That's what his behavior was pointing to. She knows the type. Heck, she is the type.

4) As far as Adalind knows, Renard, Nick, Juliette, Monroe, Rosalee, and Kelly all bent over backwards to help her keep her baby, until Renard gave up and decided that it was futile. That doesn't warrant revenge. Of course, she wasn't really seeking revenge so much as following orders this time, but I think she felt a small element of imagined injustice in there as well. Taking Nick's Grimm powers is too poetic for it to be otherwise. Which means she's still angry about Nick taking her powers away, in spite of the fact that the truth of what happened was this:
    - Adalind tried to kill Marie and almost did kill Nick, before Nick even knew who she was.
    - Then Nick and Hank saved her life (from the bee woman).
    - Then she put Hank under a love spell that was very nearly fatal.
    - To save Hank, Nick took Adalind's powers away.
    - In revenge, Adalind targeted Juliette, a completely innocent party in all of this, put her in a coma, followed by months of amnesia, fear, and a dangerous sexual obsession that she didn't understand, and that could have killed her. In the middle of all this, Adalind came back to gloat, and to blackmail them into giving her a key that she had no right to. Oh, and while Adalind was there, she put Hank in the hospital.
    - Then, when she came back (12? 13?) months later, with a baby that was conceived(?) around the time she'd been in Portland last, Nick and Juliette gave her a room and helped get her child warm. Then Nick saved her life from Verrat, and arranged for a hiding place for her and her child.
    - And then she impersonated Juliette, which is a violation in itself, and tricked Nick into having sex with her. Thereby taking his powers (though, if I were him, I'd be more angry about the violation, which borders on rape, than about my powers being taken away).

Nick didn't make her do any of that. It was all either done because she wanted something, or because she wanted revenge for things that were her fault to begin with. Viktor has his share of blame, and Renard even has a little blame, but Nick was actually a good deal nicer to Adalind than he ever owed her. He doesn't owe her a thing.

• rubydiamond May 19, 2014

Considering that Adalind attacked both Marie and Hank under Renard's orders, and that he then abandoned her when she lost her powers, I would say that yes, he does have a bit of the blame. Also, do you really believe that Viktor is not going to find out about Kelly, with or without Adalind? He's already investigating the"woman in black" and knows that she's somehow associated with Nick, so it's not a very long leap from there.......

• Katerine_M May 19, 2014

I thought the season finale was fun. Ridiculously predictable, in that the preview the previous week gave away all of the twists, and so I actually half-knew by Thursday night, that Adalind was going to take away Nick's powers and Renard was going to be shot, etc. So, ridiculously predictable, but fun.

- Here's my big question: how, exactly, does Nick feel about not being a Grimm anymore? As he said in this very episode, being a Grimm didn't make his life any easier, or Juliette's, or Trubel's. So I'm left with two overriding questions for season 4, episode 1: How will Nick get his powers back (since he kind of has to, or there wouldn't be a show), and 2: Will he even want to? On the one hand, it's done nothing for him, or Juliette, or anybody else in his life. His life would certainly be easier without it. On the other hand, it makes him better able to protect people, and over the past three years, it's kind of become part of his identity. At the end of the episode, the look on his face said that even he wasn't sure how he felt about the idea of not being a Grimm anymore.

Juliette, I think, is secretly glad. I think that, all year, when she was enthusiastically reading the books, diving into research, trying to make contact with his mother, etc, it was because Nick didn't exactly have a choice about being a Grimm, so she was putting on a brave face. But if Nick actually chose being a Grimm, that might change her outlook of him.

- MonRosalee's wedding actually went considerably better than I predicted. The wedding itself was beautiful and went by without a hitch, and nobody died. :) I'm more than a little disappointed at not being able to hear Nick's speech, though. I really wanted to hear it. The best man's speech was a wonderful opportunity to actually hear Nick's friendship with Monroe and Rosalee expressed in words (since he's normally a very reserved person who doesn't do that very easily).

I don't necessarily agree that MonRosalee are necessarily "over" Nick's neediness... I just think that the relationship is becoming more equal. I've said it before, but the inequality of their friendship always bothered me, but that does not mean, under any circumstances, that I want to see that friendship dissolve. What I really want to see, is the inequality corrected. There's still a chance for that... I'm now picturing a scenario where Nick figures out how to "cure" what Adalind did to him, but is torn about whether he wants to drink it. And then Monroe and Rosalee get in trouble due to being married to each other (you know, a reason totally unrelated to Nick's Grimmness), and Nick has to become a Grimm again to save them. That would help address the inequality a lot. :)

- Renard will survive. Not sure how yet (perhaps he, too, has two hearts? Perhaps he prepared somehow? Not sure), but he'll survive. His role in the story isn't over, and can't be filled by anybody else. He'll be taken out of play for the first few episodes, though.

- More than a little worried about Wu. Mainly because, with everything else on Nick's plate, and given the writing patterns on this show, I can't see this ending any other way than Wu confronting Nick, Nick lying, and getting into trouble with the law as a result. He and Hank aren't going to be able to cover up Truble's actions anymore... not with Wu on the scent and Renard unable to cover for them.

-
    I'm kind of torn about how I feel about the cliffhanger in general. They always end with a cliffhanger, but by far, their best cliffhanger was the season 2 midseason finale (the, "to be continued... sorry" one). That one left me with so many mental fanfics, imagining how things were going to go, how I wanted things to go, and the return from the hiatus didn't disappoint. The midseason finale this year (before the Olympics) was really good too, leaving me with lots of mental fanfics centering around how Nick and Monroe were going to deal with Monroe's parents. In contrast, last year's season finale (with zombie Nick) wasn't bad, but it didn't leave me imagining all sorts of scenarios either, and where's the fun in that? This finale was somewhere in between... some of it just leaves me wondering where we go from here (not fun), and some of it leaves me with lots of speculation (fun).

Can't wait for next season! Any ideas whether we'll have to wait until the end of October again?

• See More Comments (109)