AMC Renews Halt and Catch Fire for Season 2

By LizRaftery

Aug 20, 2014

AMC's Fire isn't going out any time soon.

The network announced Tuesday that it has renewed its computer-revolution drama Halt and Catch Fire for a second season, which will premiere next summer.

"This is a show about invention, experimentation, and the inherent risks in trying to break new ground—themes that really resonate with us as a network and attracted a passionate audience," AMC President Charlie Collier said in a statement. "We have a history of demonstrating patience through the early seasons of new shows, betting on talent and building audience over time. We see that opportunity here and look forward to a second season of Halt and Catch Fire from creators Chris Cantwell and Chris Rogers, and showrunner Jonathan Lisco."

Set in the early 1980s, Halt and Catch Fire stars Lee Pace and chronicles the rise of the PC era in Texas's Silicon Prairie. The show's first season wrapped up earlier this month.

Are you looking forward to more Halt and Catch Fire?

• Comments (66)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • reagansblades Oct 26, 2014

you betcha

• oldgearhead Aug 31, 2014

As someone that lived and worked in the computer industry during the time-period of this show as boot code developer. I have to say that the show is complete crap. Everything from having to desolder ROMs from a mobo to steal the contents to waiving magnets at disc drives to cause data corruption to the compressed timelines presented. HOO-HA, clap-trap garbage. I was so disappointed that series creators could not bother to research accurate technical details considering the topic at hand.

As far as the characters are concerned, there is not a single one that I find likable.

I entered the series with excited expectations but ended up bored and a bit angry. I cannot possibly endorse this show for a 2nd season. I will pass.

• chandler0201 Aug 26, 2014

After they renewed Turn which also had questionable ratings, I was pretty sure they would give this another season too. As others have said, they really don't have much else to air, its a 10 episode season, and its probably not an expensive budget. Also, they can continue the trend of being known as the "historical drama" network.

• samanthawesley108 Aug 22, 2014

So awesome. I actually wrote the network to ask them to renew. Just for me, of course.

Lee Pace is excellent and after they started giving the Cameron character something to work with besides shots of her working furiously then throwing it away, the series was on point.

• JenMo73 Aug 22, 2014

I think the first few episode were a little funky and then it changed and ROCKED!!!!!

• dynalee3 Oct 14, 2014

I quit watching after the 3rd boring episode. Couldn't connect with the characters..... didn't care for the show at all

• dynalee3 Oct 14, 2014

This comment has been removed.

• samanthawesley108 Aug 24, 2014

Totally. I mean, Lee Pace rocked from scene one, but the other characters needed time. The writers could've fleshed them out a bit sooner, but by episode 4, things were really getting interesting.

• numberonecubsfa Aug 21, 2014

And now that I know it won't be one and done due to meager ratings, I can give it a watch. Neat.

• MarlboroMagpi Aug 21, 2014

I am pleasantly surprised. I thought it is a goner based on the ratings. Perhaps the good reviews from fans and most critics (not TV.com) might have convinced AMC.

This proves AMC listen to the fans. They would have to find a way to reunite the gang though.

• Ish_Inf Aug 20, 2014

YES! I am so freakin' excited for season 2! the evolution of the computer is probably the most important part of our history seeing as how EVERYTHING is computerized.

I say BRAVA!

• jmachine Aug 20, 2014

This is fantastic news! Props to AMC for recognizing quality and seeing it as having some serious potential (if some of the writing is cleaned up). Personally, I loved S1 of the show and am going to go rewatch the finale in celebration :)

• alcalde Aug 20, 2014

&We; have a history of demonstrating patience through the early seasons of
    &new; shows, betting on talent and building audience over time. We see that
    &opportunity; here

What a nice way of saying "The ratings weren't very good but we renewed it anyway because we've got nothing else to put in the times lot we think would do any better."

• thekaitling Aug 20, 2014

I'm happy for Lee Pace but sad for me because I really wanted to see Lee Pace in Season 3 of Hannibal. DAMN YOU, AMC.

• antdude Aug 21, 2014

I miss him in Pushing Daisies! Dang you, ABC!

• See More Comments (18)