18 Times Hannibal Makes It Very Obvious He's a Cannibal

By sadiegennis

Jun 27, 2014

How did it take everyone so long to discover that Hannibal is a cannibal? I mean, honestly.

Throughout Hannibal's two seasons, Dr. Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen) demonstrated a penchant for wordplay and thinly veiled allusions to his unorthodox diet. Yet when Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) first posed the theory of Hannibal's cannibalism, the FBI acted as though he were the crazy one. Say what? Hannibal practically confessed in every episode! Ignoring those cannibal puns is what was actually crazy.

Check out Hannibal's best cannibal quips below and see if you would have caught on:

1. Hannibal must think he's very clever.

2. Anything = Humans

3. Sheep = Humans

4. Great use of reverse psychology there, buddy.

5. Polite dinner conversation at Hannibal's house includes ominous threats of cannibalism.

6. If a cannibal jokes about eating people but no one is smart enough to understand, does he even make a sound?

7. This is both threatening and vaguely erotic.

8. Is this not how all chefs are inspired?

9. Who are you really talking about, Hannibal? Projecting much?

10. Hannibal enters the Pun-derdome and emerges victorious.

11. Speak softly, but loudly imply cannibalism.

12. This is totally normal doctor-patient behavior, right?

13. Har har, Hannibal. We get it.

14. Any suggestions for how else this could be interpreted?

15. Seriously though. How did anyone interpret this to mean anything other than cannibalism?

16. Alright, now he's just rubbing it in.

17. What do you even mean anymore?!

18. It's like he just gave up here.

Yet despite all of Hannibal's delectable cannibalism quotes, the award for best wordplay on Hannibal goes to Mason Verger:

Would you have caught on?

• Comments (20)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • BevinChu Aug 21, 2014

The reviewer knows from the novels and films what Hannibal is. From Anthony Hopkin's unforgettable "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti." But before Hannibal was revealed to the world as a cannibal, was it really so "obvious"? I suspect the reviewer might well have asked for seconds had she been a guest at one of Hannibal's little soirees.

• aktarian Jun 29, 2014

Honestly, I wouldn't catch on. Simply because these are admissions only if you already know what he is. They are clever word plays when those with knowledge (Hannibal and us) know what he really means but those without it (Jack and rest) see it as refering to food, meals and cooking.

and even when he "openly admits it" it can just as easily be seen as a joke

• smithinjapan Jun 29, 2014

Mikkelsen was (is) SO great as Hannibal! And the series has been absolutely stellar, and beautifully shot. And even though you know he's serving up your fellow human, you kind of get a little hungry over some of his recipes (not all).

• graindesable Jun 28, 2014

Thanks for this brilliant post. I miss Hannibal so much ...

• ludoTV Jun 28, 2014

Excellent compilation! Any greatest hits of Hannibal's are to die for... The writers did a great job with him and then of course Mikkelsen's been just perfect as Hannibal....

• mihailovaljetic Jun 28, 2014

His name is Hannibal and they are looking for a cannibal! It's that obvious!

• chrelle66 Jun 28, 2014

1. No. That only sounds sinister because you know he is a cannibal. It is a paraphrase from 'Silence'
    2. Not feeling guilty about eating anything. That is a prerequisite for any gourmet.
    3. see 1 and 2.
    4. There is a slight indication that Hannibal might think Jack is suspicious.
    5. Now we're getting somewhere. Still not an actionable confession, but I see what you're getting at.
    6. Again a reference to 'Silence' that is only sinister because of your foreknowledge.
    7. Not a hint there. Will is a man-hunter and Hannibal wants to play too.
    8. More foreknowledge required. A host asking 'Who's hungry' before asking his guests to be seated is hardly misterious.
    9. Projecting, yes. But projecting what? That he eats people? That's a bit of a leap.
    10. Well yes, ok. Knowing that Will had just 'killed' Freddie that's an obvious allusion. But this was Will telling Hannibal that he wanted in on the game, after he was already convinced.
    11. Again, something any gourmet might say.
    12. Hardly a normal doctor-patient relationship. But being a creepy metro-sexual hardly makes a candidate for cannibalism.
    13. And again, without any foreknowledge, that is just a friendly thing to say.
    14. Yes, that one counts. Hannibal is clearly taunting his hunter.
    15. I'm not sure about that one. It is too blunt to be taken litteraly from someone as usually subtle as Hannibal. Anyone who didn't already know about him would take it as a metaphor.
    16. Not really a confession or a subtle hint: he already knows that he is about to eat himself.
    17. Very true and, perhaps also, very creepy. But not a hint of any wrong doing, let alone cannibalism.
    18. Classic deflection. He is a very good psychologist after all.

All in all a list of very cool quotes. But nothing, I think, that would lead anyone to think that he was eating people, unless they were already suspicious.

• Vicky8675309 Jun 28, 2014

deliciously funny article;-P

• marlonjones Jun 28, 2014

Awesome post! Bravo!
    I hope we can still expect stuff like this come season 3...

• Ian281099 Jun 27, 2014

"Slice the ginger" always makes me laugh.

• See More Comments (6)