Dial A for Awesome: Hannibal's Best Artwork (UPDATED)

By Kaitlin Thomas

Apr 08, 2014

Hannibal contains some of the most elaborate and beautiful pieces of art currently found on TV. The series' signature "murder art"—as we here at TV.com have taken to calling it—is perverse, filled with demented visuals that are highly stylized down to the smallest of details. They're as disturbing and disgusting as they are creative and compelling. In fact, we love them so much that we named them one of the top 100 things about television in 2013

Season 2 has continued to add to Hannibal's legacy as one of the most beautifully filmed series on the air. The show's use of bold colors (and sometimes a lack thereof), angular lines, and symmetry wonderfully enhances its storylines, allowing us to see the Hannibal universe—not to mention the human body—in ways we never imagined we would. But perhaps this shouldn't be all that surprising, given that Hannibal is the work of Bryan Fuller, who also created the way more whimsical, but no less visually enticing world of Pushing Daisies

During the recent Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour, Fuller spoke a bit about the elaborate scenes the series has become known for. "Part of it is stylizing the violence so it's heightened and not real," he said. "What we do on the show is sort of purple and operatic because, if it were real, I couldn't watch it. I couldn't work on it. So we are borderline fantasy with what we do on the show."

In honor of Hannibal's beauty, we've decided to revisit the series graphically striking—and horrifyingly brutal—works of art from the beginning. So, without further ado, let's look at a bunch of naked, bloody butts and call it art! Peruse the gallery below for a refresher on just how grossly beautiful Hannibal can be, and then feel free to add to our list of "Serial Killer Superlatives" in the comments. 

Most Beautiful: "Apéritif"

Most Organic: "Amuse-Bouche"

Most Awkward Dinner Party: "Oeuf"

Most Original: "Coquilles"

Best Improvisation of a Murder Weapon: "Entree"

Most Disturbing: "Fromage"

Most "Damn, That Looks Exhausting, I Think I'll Take a Nap": "Trou Normand"

Best Impersonation of a Corpse: "Buffet Froid"

Best Miley Cyrus: "Rôti"

Most Labor Intensive: "Sakizuki"

Most Heartbreaking: "Mukozuke"

Best Use of Lighting: "Savoureux"

That last one isn't a corpse, but ohmygod.

• Comments (169)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • tigger_bounch Apr 16, 2014

truly agree that #Hannibal is wickedly awesome, just like its predecessor #PushingDaisies
    the artwork is what kept me from thinking "Oh my God, those bodies used to be somebody loved one"

• Marburg66 Apr 09, 2014

I'm honestly gonna miss Beverly. She was multi-layered as a character & had many dimensions

• Ian281099 Apr 08, 2014

I cringe everytime I see the human chello, but in a good way. I love how the show uses the antlers and the antler man as a metaphor for Will's mind, this is psychological thriller at its best.

• SesseKitty Apr 08, 2014

The show is so morbid and so beautiful. I always enjoyed the stories of Harris but I truly feel they've been made alive first time on TV just now. Hannibal the series is even better than Silence of the Lambs.

In addition to the great visuals and atmosphere, the cast is incredibly talented and compelling. Both Hannibal and Will are very intelligent and sexy men. And the pacing is great, this is how a psychological thriller progresses: slowly and savouring everything. Every piece of the show is art, even (or perhaps especially) the cooking scenes.

• Mate Apr 08, 2014

All morbidly gorgeous. Clearly we can all agree that the worst was Freddie's hat when she testified.

My favorite probably was the eye.

• edge1710 Mar 15, 2014

Best use of red that's not blood.

• Misao_83 Mar 15, 2014

So simple, so beautiful, so disturbing...
    (I know it´s not cinematography, but for me it´s so good...)

• flintslady Mar 15, 2014

Normally you get 2 maybe three of these an episode, seeing them all at once is making me question why I find this show so appealing. :) This is some really morbid though beautiful stuff.

José Andrés and Matthew Davies should get all of the awards.

• tidus1117 Mar 15, 2014

I present you, my Phone Lock Screen!

• SalmanKhalid1 Apr 09, 2014

Thank you!!! That's awesome... and now my lock screen too! :)

Where'd you get that? Got any others to share too? (Pretty please!!!)

• tidus1117 Apr 13, 2014

My recommendation is to use it like this so the letters wont bother you.
    :) Enjoy it.

• MichelleHood24 Mar 15, 2014

This show is great at providing visual impact, this is both artistic and discusting all in one.

• See More Comments (17)