Hannibal Season 2 Has a Premiere Date and a Freaky Poster

By Tim Surette

Dec 19, 2013

Get ready to wok up another plate of Hunan Human and steady your stomach for plenty of gastronomic puns because NBC has announced a premiere date for Hannibal's second season! The ratings-deficient but critically delicious take on Thomas Harris's famous characters comes back for seconds on February 28 at 10pm. Hooray! 

Hannibal will follow Grimm on Fridays, taking over for Dracula: Business Dude when that series concludes its first season. NBC's midseason Fridays at 10pm were initially supposed to belong to new pirate drama Crossbones, but now who knows when that will air. 

In addition to a premiere date, NBC also released a sweet new poster for Season 2, with a little switcheroo between the two main characters—Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter—and one of the franchise's iconic props. 

Can you keep a secret? I can tell you that Hannibal topped at least one TV.com writer's Top 10 list of 2013 (stay tuned for that article).  

• Comments (74)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • JamiePelletie Jan 02, 2014

I hope the Friday time slot does not spell trouble for the show.

• Misao_83 Jan 02, 2014

Will look so unstable and cute in that poster!!! I can´t wait for the next season...where are the dogs?, Will, WHERE ARE THE DOGS?!

• superjulia Dec 22, 2013

I thought the show would be back sometime in April so this is a huge surprise! And a smart one too because maybe she show knows how good it is and wants to air all episodes before the Emmy eligibility period ends on May 31st.

• smithinjapan Dec 22, 2013

Going to be great!! Amazing show, especially in terms of aesthetics.

• Burrellio Dec 21, 2013

That is a really great poster.

• antmorris3511 Dec 21, 2013

Feb 28? Now thats a lot sooner than I expected. Good too, because tv really sucks right now. Only 3 or 4 shows worth watching.

• J_Pip Dec 21, 2013

Whoa. Hannibal, I embrace your madness.

• Whedonrules Dec 20, 2013

So they are putting it against BANSHEE? Mads Mikkelsen (Hannibal) and Ulrich Thomsen (Kai Proctor, 'Banshee') together again! -

That is too much awesome in the same hour.

I'll have to DVR the one with commercials.

• ThoNonofyabiz Dec 20, 2013

totally HYPED!

• No1Slayerette Dec 20, 2013

As others have already expressed, this is an awesome poster. Great twist on the classic look, which is pretty much what Hannibal, as a series, has been to date.

I think it'll pair nicely with Grimm on Fridays, but it's still Friday, and I don't know if this is NBC saying its comfortable having the show on its network garnering even fewer viewers than its first season, or whether they are putting it there to die. I'm hoping the former, obviously, but if that it the case than Hannibal will definitely have to keep up its high quality (as to garner critical attention more so than audeicnes) if they want NBC to stick with it.

• noelrk Dec 20, 2013

Hannibal's in a weird place for NBC. It doesn't get ratings, but its remarkably cheap for them to air, apparently (Sony's licensing fee is low due to the range of lucrative international co-productions), and from what I've read, it's very cheap to produce, too (you wouldn't know it to look at it). So the shift to Friday sort of makes sense.

Also: I don't know if they want it to die. According to Fuller, there were other interested parties in picking up the show if NBC wasn't willing to do a second season, and there's nothing worse than someone else making a show into a success when you couldn't. That being said, either some more viewers or some big awards (can't believe Mikkelsen was ignored by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association) would certainly help.

• No1Slayerette Dec 21, 2013

I've heard similar things about its production, so yeah, I'm going to lean towards the shift to Fridays being a good thing.

But like you said, hopefully it keeps up its quality this season and the critical attention continues so that it gives NBC even more reason to keep it around.

• See More Comments (27)