Syfy Renews Helix for a Second Season of Black Goo and Rodent Torture

By Tim Surette

Mar 28, 2014

If the Helix's Season 1 finale ends on a cliffhanger (I've already seen it and I'm not saying!), fans need not worry about having to move on without closure. Syfy has renewed the viral thriller for a second season, ordering 13 more episodes for 2015. Yay! I think.

Helix has been a bit all over the map in its first season, sometimes delving into the bizarre (much to my delight), but also sometimes poking at things it hopes will make it more of a "serious" science-fiction show. I've been reviewing the series all season, and I like it best when it just runs around screaming instead of trying to establish character relationships, but lately it's improved at the latter, and it still shows a lot of potential.

Helix has averaged 2.1 million viewers per episode in Season 1, which means it's done pretty well for a Friday-night cable show.  But who needs numbers when you've got rat .GIFs?! 

Keep up the rodent torture in Season 2 and you'll be on the right track, show. 

Helix's Season 1 finale airs tonight (Friday, March 28) at 10pm on Syfy. Look for my review as soon as the East Coast airing concludes.

• Comments (43)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • SFBarbear Mar 30, 2014

ABout time they made a decision about this show. I have thoroughly enjoyed Helix from beginning to end. Wacky science, silly choices, great music and questionable plot streams, some horrible acting but to me, that sometimes makes the best television. Something that isn't just poured out of a standard can of regurgitated garbage and a few names changed.

• MunirRahool Mar 29, 2014

I like Helix. But I will be going off topic by saying that the only true Sci-fi (from the series I am watching, including Almost Human and Black Orphan) to me is Continuum. I have got the same vibes as Fringe's. Almost Human is second and Helix is to me more of a mystery crime type adventure drama.

Having said all that, 2015 is damn too long to wait for a good series.

• Celestra9 Mar 29, 2014

I've enjoyed Helix, the ups and downs not withstanding, but seriously if this can get a second season and Almost Human doesn't, I'll be well and truly pissed off!

• Celestra9 Mar 29, 2014

Really wish they'd hurry up and decide about Almost Human, how long does it take?

• jasten Mar 29, 2014

Well.. that finale was quite bad compared to the rest of the season. Not sure if waiting 9 months is worth it...

• kevlong67 Mar 29, 2014

I have given this show every opportunity to hook me but we are at the end of the season and I think I'm done. It wouldn't surprise me if many others feel the same as the characters and the story just aren't that interesting. It wouldn't surprise me to hear they've lost a good portion of the audience when it returns.

• ltcomstella Mar 29, 2014

anyone else find this show more funny than scary ?

• linewton Mar 29, 2014

It exalts in the ridiculous. Celebrate the improbably wacky science and soap opera family dramas…..never mind that half the characters would have died of hypothermia by now. Which unknown relative will be behind door # 3? It has some good scares and plenty of eye rolling. I think the writers take a big bong hit before writing every episode. I'm still watching tho! lol

• linewton Mar 29, 2014

I'm happy. This show is deep on my guilty pleasure list; so good at atmosphere and quirkiness, so bad at character development and logic. I never miss it. Cheesy goodness. If it ended tonight, I'd be okay if the major questions were answered.

• AngelikaMenak Mar 28, 2014

Since I watch this show, I'm afraid of elevator music. :D But, I love to see more of this stuff.

• ekim726 Mar 28, 2014

Great news, this show is truly an amazing watch! It is one of those shows that you just can't wait for every week. I hope SYFY keeps this up and keeps the science fiction shows coming.

• Svanehjerte Mar 28, 2014

This show was atmospheric and great! I am glad they renewed, but it's a shame we have to wait sooooooo long for it and that it is only 13 episodes.

• See More Comments (14)