HBO Cancels Family Tree and Hello Ladies

By Tim Surette

Jan 23, 2014

HBO continues to swing a hot axe, and has handed cancellation papers to two more shows just weeks after ordering final seasons of Boardwalk Empire and The Newsroom and months after announcing that the upcoming seventh season of True Blood will be the show's last. The victims this time? The low-buzz comedies Family Tree and Hello Ladies, according to Deadline. Both shows wrapped their first seasons in the second half of last year.

Family Tree was created by Christopher Guest and followed a man (Chris O'Dowd) looking into his genealogy. Hello Ladies was created by Stephen Merchant and was a cringe comedy following a gangly Brit as he did not get laid in Los Angeles. Family Tree never reeled me in, but I enjoyed Hello Ladies quite a bit, especially the character of Wade. And that lounge-y soundtrack.

Fortunately, there's better news for HBO's other small comedy Getting On, about nurses and doctors who care for old folks. The series is close to earning a second season, once some budget issues are worked out. But what budget issues are there to work out? Getting On looks like it's made on pocket change each week. It also happens to be the funniest of the three comedies, and well deserving of a renewal. Fire it up on HBO GO next time you take a sick day. 

• Comments (33)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • thousandpoundcarthousandp Jan 31, 2014

bunch of a-holes,you didnt watch it (meaning at least first 3 ep.) and complain. nobody cares about what you think. people are here to say that are sorry for this series being cancelled,not how "bad" it was ... i guess you are those weirdo's that Merchant was impersonating ... Peace :-D

• wudntulik2know Jan 26, 2014

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, Another moronic unfunny assholery misogynistic show with jackass sycophantic vaginas posing as women bites the dust.

Tsk. Tsk. Guess the assholes who liked this show will have to find other outlets for their women hate.

• MarlboroMagpi Jan 25, 2014

Hello Ladies was a wonderful comedy. I thought Stephen Merchant will be not be likable (as he was in most of his movies) but he was good and funny! I was hoping for a second season where he would actually get a girl and start a relationship even if for a short while. Perhaps he should go to Showtime or another network instead of HBO.

• robinh4 Jan 24, 2014

Seriously? I watch both Family Tree and Hello... Ladies. I really like both of them, but especially Family Tree. This sucks.

• Muderboy Jan 24, 2014

I rather liked Family Tree, but couldn't get through the first episode of Hello Ladies. It was as bad as Brooklyn 9-9.

• GustavoGontij Jan 24, 2014

Hello Ladies was the best new comedy of the season!

• FilmFanatic Jan 24, 2014

I tried watching Hello Ladies but gave up on it after episode three. It was basically too boring and annoying to watch.

• dolphin_intern Jan 24, 2014

Hello Ladies will not be missed couldn't even give it the full four episode test. Annoying characters with the exception of Wade and Kevin Weismans character who we saw too little of.

• meee223 Jan 23, 2014

I loved Hello Ladies. The funniest comedy on cable tv. A real shame.

• OdumC Jan 23, 2014

Hello Ladies was pretty much a rip off of Legit. Overly annoying foreign guy with freshly divorced friend and handicapped friend, trying to score on ladies and failing miserably.most episodes were pretty painful to watch. and the jokes and gags were as telegraphed as they come. "Oh he's sneaking off to the bathroom to google gay jokes to blend in at the gay party... I wonder how many will get laughs before he tells an inappropria.. okay there it went.. annnnd they're thrown out. gosh... who saw that coming??"

• rishabhpb Jan 24, 2014

Uhh... no. Jim Jeffries does large chunks of standup in mini-rants on Legit, and the tone of the show is very positive regardless of the situations he gets into. Hello Ladies, in the vein of other Gervais-Merchant shows, is trying (successfully) to actually make you feel uncomfortable when it gets its characters into these situations. Of course you see everything coming but it's the way Merchant handles it that's great to watch. And the dialogue is very, very good.

• OdumC Jan 24, 2014

Apparently not that good.

I watched the entire run and nothing about it was particularly impressive. Oh so Jeffries does some stand up clips? why that just negates all the similarities I listed and makes it an entirely different show!

• rishabhpb Jan 24, 2014

I mentioned the tone of the show, come on now. If all you picked up from the two shows is "foreign comedian does awkward things in America" and you found them so similar, then there is no point discussing/arguing anything with you. So I won't.

• OdumC Jan 24, 2014

I also pointed out the almost identical supporting cast. all the way down to handicapped friend in a wheelchair who, come to think about it, on both shows, always gets the girl. with all the similarities, one having bit clips of a st.and up doesn't exactly make them completely different shows. and I've seen every episode of each. it was like Big Brother and Big Brother UK

• See More Comments (10)