Strange Attractors

Episode Reviews (20)

Great

Whoever rates this episode low...

By Rollinfromhell, Jun 21, 2011

Is really idiotic. This episode had really amazing storytelling once again, and it focused on really great characters. I keep thinking every week that it may fall back into season 2 or 3 category, but it just keeps it up again. The whole Claire and her sorority pledge seemed a little stupid in the beginning, but it turned out worthwhile and evolved into a shocking twist. It's these moments that keep Heroes interesting again and it makes me look forward to each episode that comes on the week after. Season one anyone? Two thumbs up, keep it up Heores! :)moreless

Halloween Episode

By Princepip81, Jun 21, 2011

I was really impressed with this episode. There was a level of tension and suspense throughout the entire hour. It really felt like a horror film in some places, down to the "halloween" music during the sorority scenes. There were also real consequences, once again. I didn't see the death of the boy coming. I thought Tracy would run in and save the day, or perhaps one of the carnival members. The fact that he died really had some truly interesting results. Samuel taking his wrath out on the police department was a very cool scene. The Matt/Sylar storyline, although it mirrors the Niki/Jessica story from season 1 is far more scary to me. This makes me believe that Matt Parkman will not be living much longer. The only way to get rid of Sylar's malevolence is to either kill Matt or return him to his body. I can't wait to see what happens.moreless

I don't know what to say...

By RobGrizz, Jun 21, 2011

Heroes has come to the point where it is a delicate balancing act of a show with our feelings. Like stacking a house of cards, and I feel like a few tiers just slipped and fell away this week. The season started so strong- Heroes, please don't start falling apart! I can't say I cared much for this episode at all.

The show opened as good as it could possibly get: with sex! The reveal that it wasn't Matt boning his wife, but Sylar in Matt's body, was awesome, and I lol'ed at his "that's the second Parkman I made scream today" jab. Sylar is a polarizing character- some think he's the best on the show, while others feel he should have been done with after S1, either way, I know a lot of people are LOVING this plotline, but I can't say that I'm into it. Figment of an imagination, misguided body, one thinks he's Nathan, one's inside another's head- it's convoluted as f*ck. Zachary Quinto seems to want to take Ali Larter's crown for playing multiple roles within the same season; Essentially it's 2 Sylar's running around, and this is the most force-feeding of a character I've ever seen. I'm getting flashes to the 10+ Jack Sparrows running around in Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

My feelings on that aside, Parkman's method of 'drinking' Sylar out of his head was an inspired move, and I was glad to see him (seemingly) fight back and take the upper hand. I started thinking maybe Matt should get high- "smoke" him out! Drop some Acid. Turn Sly into a goat or something. Poor Matt might kill himself to be rid of this monster. I was worried it all might not work...and how! Now Sylar has taken over Matt's body completely and Parkman is 'on the other side of the mirror' so to speak. Matt's the mental figment now! Ha! A retread of Nikki/Jessica from S1? Undeniably.

I was eager to get back to the Claire/Gretchen issue, but proceedings were interrupted by a sorority Halloween creep-fest that felt like something straight out of the CW. It was so gimmicky I wondered if I had just tuned in to Smallville! As if they had just wandered onto the set of Saw V, Claire and Gretchen have to participate in a haze/rush test of wits in a grimy subterranean lair. Claire herself isn't really bad here (she's clearly the smartest girl in the group), and we get a little more insight and sympathy for Gretchen's character, but the other girls are completely annoying, especially that screamer! I did like the 'Buffy' moment at the beginning, and both roommates play the sexual tension well. Gretch still seems ready to jump Claire's bones at any moment though. (Who could blame her ;) The invisible stalker was a nice touch, but if Samuel needs Claire, I don't know if this kid is going about it the right way. The whole thing turned into a cluster F, and now both she and Claire have been exposed as freaks. Wonder if she'll get daddy('s Hatian) to clean up the mess.

Dad was busy trying to take care of the killer kid from last week, and he called in Tracy to help. (Is Ali Larter the most beautiful woman or what?) Trace is finally becoming an interesting character. I liked her scenes with the boy, and her conflicted feelings over the 'Carnival' when Samuel dropped in to pay her a visit. It appeared right before our very eyes, which makes me wonder how many abilities this guy has (Earth, Ink, and Illusion?). I myself am conflicted by this plot itself. One one-hand it is an extremely powerful eye-opener for both characters, as this kid is persecuted and killed in an all-too-real act of bigotry and hate for being different. On the other hand I just couldn't buy that it would be the cops to do it. We know some police can abuse their power, but the truck dragging? I just don't buy that as something law enforcement would ever do. Small-town hicks, sure. But the Police themselves? On a kid no less? A bit of a stretch. But I suppose that's not the point to take away here. This was some X-Men-level persecution that we've never seen taken this far on Heroes before, which I applaud. But I wonder if they took it too far with a truck-dragging. Almost a desperate cry for a series on it's last legs. What's next? The KKK? Teen with a shotgun already bothered the hell out of me last week. Apologists will argue Heroes is being 'real', but I don't just wonder if it's tacky. I just don't know what to say...moreless

Found myself bored

By Ryehead, Jun 21, 2011

I'm not too impressed with this season so far, the story hasn't really went anywhere. They seem to be dragging it out. People losing their memory has been done to death and at a certain point I have to say enough. I love the show but I really need to see some progress in both the story and the characters. I'm just waiting for Syler to regain his memory and kill everyone in the carnival, I mean that's what he does, that's why I love him, if he isn't going to be Syler as we know him then whats the point?

And Peters story line at the moment is laughable, it's like we have jumped back to the beginning of season 3. They have to finally conclude what is happening with his powers, will he learn to use multiple powers like before, and if not who will be able to oppose Syler. Through out the show, the biggest rivalry has always been Peter and Syler, the 2 most powerful and we are yet to see them really fight it out. I will be disappointed if Peter doesn't learn absorb multiple powers again and battle with Syler. Please give us some progress on a grand scale because what is happening at the moment seems like a bad attempt at suspense.moreless

I just don't know

By angim350, Jun 21, 2011

I am torn... very torn about this one. I'm going to put it into three groups: the amazing, the okay and the crap.

Sylar/Matt and Samuel: amazing. Okay... not as brilliant but this was definately the most interesting part of the episode. Sylar now has control of Matt's body. He's definately had the most to do this season. Nasty trick their... Matt getting s**t faced and thinking that would finally get rid of Sylar was brilliant. This part gets 10, as does Samuel. More intriguing every week and the end scene was subline. He's one powerful dude and mysterious... a perfect villian. Or is he? He acted out of revenge. Obviously a guy not to cross. I'm starting to wonder who would win in a fight... Sylar or Samuel. Surley there needs to be someone who can beat him now Peter has gone all whimpy (oh why won't he become all powerful Peter again? Damn you Arthur Petrelli!)

Noah Tracy and the kid... okay. Not overley interesting... a desperate grasp by the writers to try and give Noah and Tracy something to do. Poor dears. Tracy especially is very expendable now... she adds nothing to the overall plot. At least their story shed some more light on Samuel... looks like his sanctuary is for protection. Claire, the roomy and the chicks...crap. Utter dross. Kidnapped and sent to such a Saw reject building I half expected Jigsaw to come on TV saying "I want to play a game." Haha... Claire in Saw would be funny... something for Saw 7 to do. Boring. Is this the best they can do? It added nothing to the plot apart from revealing the black girl as the killer (her name escapes me). As a fan I don't want to see Claire doing regular stupid college things (what the hell do Americans get up to??) but out doing something interesting! At least in the otherwise despressing volume 4 she had something to do.

Sylar, Samuel, Peter, Hiro and Matt. They are the only ones left who are interesting now. They are enough for the time being. Let's see how they do next week. Looks like Mohinder's absence is for a reason... he's not gone for good. I have missed him.

Haha... Tv.com really need to figure out what words are swearing and what are not.moreless

If the three storylines didn't end well, the episode would've been kinda lame, but I feel they were worth it.

By seafoampheonix, Jun 21, 2011

This episode was alright. I rated it a 9 because:

-Claire's powers get exposed to two girls

-Gretchen's out to be killed

-Samuel was awesome destroying a police department

-A character actually died? In MY Heroes? That's preposterous.

-Sylar (though it was way predictable) takes over Matt's body.

My favorite moment was Samuel's revenge on the police. He obviously wanted the teen to join his circus, and he may not be such a bad guy after all.

Okay here are the bad parts:

-Claire and Gretchen got tedious

-Tracy and Noah got tedious

-Matt's story (although the drinking was a twist) the way it ended was predictable. I still love Heroes anyway.moreless

Matt looks for a way to get rid of Sylar after he learns to take control of his body. Noah enlists the help of Tracy in order to help free Jeremy from the police. Claire is concerned that someone wants to eliminate Gretchen during a treasure hunt.

By lonejafa, Jun 21, 2011

The way Jeremy died was a wake-up call for the paranormals. This will probably go the way of the X-Men and Prof. X. Hated and reviled by humans. A sanctuary (isn't there already another show that does this) for the gifted and bizarre. I think the whole Star Trek III thing with Sylar's "katra" (ironic that it had to the new Spock huh?) in Parkman and his body at the fair is very interesting. Well not so much the fair thing, since Nathan is a bore.

I do actually like this season after the Genosha series last season. Not enough hunters. Her is hoping that they lift their game next week and the weeks to come.moreless

Strange days indeed

By entil2001, Jun 21, 2011

With this season of "Heroes" just churning along at a relatively slow and methodical pace, the same pattern continues to emerge. Characters with a clear sense of motivation drive their subplots development and make those segments work. Characters with less direction inhabit storylines that seem to be going nowhere fast. Thankfully, this episode was more of the former and less of the latter.

I've been enjoying Matt's struggle with Sylar's twisted consciousness, even if there is a predictability to its progression. I saw the twist in this episode coming a mile away, but that didn't take away from the satisfaction of the end result. As I've said in previous reviews, there needed to be consequences for the ill-advised attempt to force Nathan's personality and memories onto Sylar, and Matt is definitely paying the price. It's hard to imagine that he will survive this intact.

Claire's subplot was also surprisingly strong. For the most part, it felt like something that could have happened on a standard episode of "Buffy". It would have fit the fourth season of that series comfortably. It's good to see Claire work out the reality that Gretchen was in danger from the evidence at hand and a little deduction (not really her strong suit in earlier seasons). Hopefully that suspicious mind will continue to work.

Claire's relationship with Gretchen is less successfully handled. I won't deny that there is a bit of chemistry between the two actresses, but I'm still struck by the fact that the entire plotline was based on a random whim from Hayden. It's hard to feel like this is an organic evolution of the character, when it really isn't. I'm also not convinced that the writing staff has the skill to make this work without resorting to stereotypes.

I'm also still impressed by the characterization of Samuel. Every time he's on-screen, it just plain works. Robert Knepper gives true depth to his performance, sometimes to the detriment of other members of the cast. His desire to bring all the metahumans under his wing is soulful and sincere, just as his menace and wrath are deeply convincing.

The weakest storyline involved Noah and his search for a new direction in his life. Jeremy's fate is directly tied to Noah's sense of direction, and that goes very badly. So does the logic of the subplot itself. The writers present Jeremy's situation as if it is something we should care about, but since he came out of nowhere, his circumstances don't resonate. There's no reason to care about Jeremy's fate.

That fate seemed forced, to say the least. Nothing in the episode suggested a reason for there to be a crowd outside of the police station when Jeremy was released. If there had been so much anger and fear beyond the police themselves, wouldn't they have confronted Noah and Tracy at some point? It also felt like the decision to kill Jeremy by dragging him behind a pickup truck was well out of proportion for the situation.

For that matter, why didn't Samuel save Jeremy? He was obviously keeping tabs on the situation, since he knew to contact Tracy. How hard would it have been to make an offer to Jeremy himself, anyway? The answer is that the writers had a certain set of plot points in mind, and they forced the circumstances to arrive at those points, regardless of how the logic of the situation argued against it.

Still, two good plot threads out of three is not bad, especially now that "Heroes" is concentrating on deeper exploration of only a few subplots per episode. It's easier to follow the overall progression of the story as a whole. Nothing can hide the fact that the writers are still struggling to find a way to recapture the glory days of the first season, but they are holding their own at this point.moreless

By MariaMorrison, Jun 21, 2011

This episode got to me with Jeremy. I'm intrigued where it's going with Parkman for sure, and honestly I'm losing interest in Claire, not because of the lesbian thing, which I could care less about one way or the other, just because it's too teenage angst...which is ironic because she's leaving those years behind. But Jeremy, even though it ended badly left me with the feeling of loss. For that I give it a 9. Samuel almost seems to be the emerging Magneto of the Heroes world, recruiting his family (instead of brotherhood) and taking vengeance on their behalves. Definitely a strong character.moreless

Pretty good episode:

By cervantes60, Jun 21, 2011

Although HRG and Tracy tries to help the boy their plans do not work. As a result he dies. We knew Sullivan was not going to let the police get away with that. So, there goes another building. Sylar is getting stronger. So strong that when Matt thought he found his weakness he takes over his body. Now he has put Matt in a position. Give me my body, or I will take over yours. Imagine all the damage he can do as Matt? Clair and Gretchen go for their sorority hazing. Turns out that it is more than just a game of finding clues. Sullivan, wanting Clair so much has mad her expose herself to her sisters. Eventually she will have no choice but to join his carnival. One by one Sullivan is rounding up all the people with special powers. The question still remains. For what purpose.

Although there was not much action in this episode, I still found it interesting and the plot is getting more and more involved. I wonder what will happen next week when Hiro meets Charlie. Maybe he will be able to save her. If he does, will their be a romance between them, or perhaps something more dark and evil will come out of his saving her life. That is the great thing about this show. There are many twists and turns you never know what to expect.moreless

Load More Reviews